build advice

Participant count
  • Participant list

alexe693
10+ year member

So I'm very new to all of this and I want your guys input!

1) So the only part of my system i actually have is a 2004 Honda accord and two 15 inch 1500rms watt subs. I'm only going to be using one of them because i have no room or reason for two.

2) I want a good sounding system that isn't drowned out by the bass so i don't plan on getting a full 1500 watt or 2000 watt amp... 1k would be plenty for my use, i don't mind under powering it as long at it doesn't affect quality of sound.

3) My question is should i get a super high watt head unit that i can hook up the mids/highs to without putting them through an amp? or is this idea completely ridiculous? If i did it this way i could keep the wiring complications down with just one mono amp and some wiring upgrades.

thanks for any help you can provide!

*btw i was given the two 15 inch mofo's for free. I understand they arent the greatest but i think one of them will be okay for what i want.

You will want a decent head unit either way. I'd say give it a whirl and if you need more, amp later. Even a small amp will be a dramatic improvement over any alleged "high powered" head unit though.

You will want a decent head unit either way. I'd say give it a whirl and if you need more, amp later. Even a small amp will be a dramatic improvement over any alleged "high powered" head unit though.
okay so maybe start out with just the head unit powering the mids and highs. thats pretty much the way i want to go because itll be cheaper and honestly i dont know how to wire multiple amps and stuff...and do you have any recommendations for a higher wattage head unit..some of my friends have like 200 watt ones and im just curious if thatll be enough to compete with a 15 inch sub?

actually im probably wrong about that 200 watt head unit thing, i have no clue what the normal is for head unit wattage however i remember looking up my friends kenwood and im almost positive it was above 100?

Most decent head units are 100w,yes....most.....not all. So, that is 25w each channel, and nominally 12w to each driver. If the midbass drivers are high sensitivity, this will be fine as a starter, not to mention the added clarity of a head unit replacement alone. Great first investment for anyone. So, if you want 12w to each midbass, you will need to know the sensitivity of them to know how well they will blend with the sub. Then knowing the subs nominal power and sensitivity. If theyy comes close to matching in that aspect, you should be fine with them blending....but you can always lower the gain of the amplifier during initial tuning to match the middriver levels anyhow. Even a very low powered full system can accommidate most standard needs if the tuning is done correctly. But don't forget, the enclosure will increase sensitivity as well, so that needs to be considered as well.

It doesn't sound so simple when you think about how involved it can be, but not that bad once you start doing it step by step

Matching overall sensitivity and impedance are the most important things you can do to a system. Always think of that when choosing anything for you setup. Match the sub with the amp. Match the mids and high accordingly. Match each response levels with eachother ,and you'll be fine. So choosing the single driver was a good idea to start.

Thanks for the replys guys...so I have a 2olhm mofo 15,that puts at 1500 rms watts, I could get the model number if you needed more specs but what would be a good amp suggestion for relatively long term use

For that driver, a RF amp would work well. Make sure if its a 2 channel, the 2ohm stable is bridged, not stereo though //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif if you want to run it at 2 ohms.

oh ahah wow am i confused i thought he said make sure its a two channel amp, if im just using one sub shouldnt i get a mono amp to keep it simple
I said IF it were a 2 channel. But, as far as getting a mono, sure. As long as you don't make plans to get another sub, that's perfect and simple. Just make sure the impedance matches, such as 2ohm driver with 2ohm capable mono amp for best power distribution.

alright thanks so much you guys but it loooks like im going to be using a 3000 watt amp that im getting for very cheap from a family member...once again not my first choice but its way cheaper. im not sure how many channels it is yet, or the ohms but im pretty sure can wire my sub in a 1/4 ohm, 4 ohm, 2 ohm, and 1 ohm config so my question (for now) is do i just keep the gains on the amp way down to avoid blowing the 1500 rms watts sub?

The gains should be off when you are testing it out. I use an oscope to tune systems properly, but the quick way, is turn your volume on 3/4, then turn the gain up till the sub starts to distort, and back it down a little from there. This should be done while playing a 50Hz test tone as an average, or you can play it where xmax is highest and lowest as well. Highest for mechanical limits, lowest for thermal limits, then mark each level, and whichever is the lowestgain setting of those, use that one. But if you then listen to it, and your mids and highs do not keep up, you will want to replace them as well with drivers with higher sensitivity and higher power handling with low distortion. This is why matching sensitivity and impedance is important from the start.so, many people end up doing what I mentioned and it takes them forever to be happy with the sounds because they do not do it right the first time.

The gains should be off when you are testing it out. I use an oscope to tune systems properly, but the quick way, is turn your volume on 3/4, then turn the gain up till the sub starts to distort, and back it down a little from there. This should be done while playing a 50Hz test tone as an average, or you can play it where xmax is highest and lowest as well. Highest for mechanical limits, lowest for thermal limits, then mark each level, and whichever is the lowestgain setting of those, use that one. But if you then listen to it, and your mids and highs do not keep up, you will want to replace them as well with drivers with higher sensitivity and higher power handling with low distortion. This is why matching sensitivity and impedance is important from the start.so, many people end up doing what I mentioned and it takes them forever to be happy with the sounds because they do not do it right the first time.
dude you are incredible! so if my sub is 2 ohms and the sensitivity is i think 92 db that means i should match my mids speakers to that too?

also i think im thinkin about buyin your 15 inch sub box you have on ebay

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.