What Sub Should I go with?

Jason Taylor

CarAudio.com Newbie
So I recently have been running Rockford p2 12s, 2 of them, but they both recently blew, and I personally am not a Rockford fan anyways and am looking for what to go with next, my price range is like $120 per sub or but I’m flexible on that. Just want to get something that hits harder than the p2s and is not Rockford... the amp I’m using is the Rockford prime 1200.1D, looked at a lot of subs but can’t seem to find any in my price range that out do the p2 if anyone has any recommendations and or personal experience upgrading from the p2 line that would be amazing... thanks

What vehicle/available space do you have to work with?.. hitting harder?.. do you mean lower/louder or more SPL?.. lots of variables like are you using the old enclosure?

If so what enclosure do you currently have?

I’m gonna be using the old ported Rockford enclosure, H 15in, W 33in, D 15in, and it’s a vented enclosure (the standard most their dual 12in sub come in)... and by hitting harder I really mean a general over improvements all around, but mainly a good spl improvement would be great 

I just looked up that RF sub, P2 and has an rms of 400. That amp if I recall correctly is pretty powerful, expensive too if I do say so myself. So where I'm going with this is either 19, you clipped it which blew, 2) overpowered them, or 3) Gain setting wasn't set properly and "control" the output watts from the amp to the subs so they wouldn't blow. I would research on proper gain setting 1st before buying subs. Plenty of tutorial vids on youtube.

As for new subs, I would get some Sundown Audio...because I'm a nuthugger. DC Audio....but are a tad expensive. Your price range/budget doesn't leave much room as for choices but Rockville R9 seem to hold up to themselves and are about 100 bucks a sub.

I'd go with the Sundowns mentioned above, but not in that Rockford enclosure... maybe to just get it bangin but I'd eventually get a box built specifically for those subs, on your power, for your vehicle and tuned for your goals.

It's worth the trouble and cost IMHO.

And doing it yourself ought to be cheap and easy if you're willing to try.

I sold 2 of my Sundown LCS 12s to my brother and he has them in a birch 4 cube 34hz box on a apmi 1500 @1 ohmand man they are taking every bit of it and sound pretty amazing for $45 yardsale subs $84 non yardsale.  Per sundown they are essentially the E series cone & coil on a stamped basket with beyond cheap ass terminals 

dark audio nko or audiopipe bd2's, resilient sounds RS and even the rockville k6 would kill the rf p2's.. the E's are also good option..

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m gonna be using the old ported Rockford enclosure, H 15in, W 33in, D 15in, and it’s a vented enclosure (the standard most their dual 12in sub come in)... and by hitting harder I really mean a general over improvements all around, but mainly a good spl improvement would be great 
Sell that prefab RF box and have a custom box made for whatever subs you get. The RF box is likely 1.5cf per sub which is way too small for any of the previously recommended subs.

Those loaded enclosures are 5/8 MDF and the P1, P2 and P3 use the same box so they don't care about sub displacement I guess. Likely small on airspace and tuned high

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah the sub enclosure aka sub box is the most important thing. Your box volume is too small and its tuned too high with too thin of wood. A new box would make a huge difference. Look how large my box for two 12s is. You'll need something like this. A box is not too hard to build if you have a table saw. I could even design a box for you for free if you'd like. You could also pay someone to build it if you have the money. You will not regret getting a new box I promise

20181203_130924.jpg

I'll repeat already mentioned "BOX" again. In a properly built & tuned box another set of P2s would be completely different than what you already had easily. 

Something ain't stirring the cool-aid. How are people blowing the P2's?? My sister blew one, this guy blew two... I ran a pair of them with a 1000w alpine amp for over a year with no issues. I gave one of the 12's away and ran the single P2 on the 1000w Alpine with no issue... gave the sub and amp to my sister to use, she blows the sub. I am currently running the Prime 1200-D as well and it is beating the crap out of a P3 10" with no issues. I mean I beat that sub like it owes me money.

Now, if all you are doing is playing hip hop, sub-bass heavy music 24/7... well yeah, I can see the life running out of a P2 pretty quick, especially at high volumes. They aren't made for that at high SPL's for long periods of time. Look for a sub with extensive cooling, a higher xmax, extended back plate and higher power handling if you plan to beat them with no respect. You are going to have to up your budget, no ifs and or buts... unless you buy second hand or from pawnshops.

Something ain't stirring the cool-aid. How are people blowing the P2's?? My sister blew one, this guy blew two... I ran a pair of them with a 1000w alpine amp for over a year with no issues. I gave one of the 12's away and ran the single P2 on the 1000w Alpine with no issue... gave the sub and amp to my sister to use, she blows the sub. I am currently running the Prime 1200-D as well and it is beating the crap out of a P3 10" with no issues. I mean I beat that sub like it owes me money.

Now, if all you are doing is playing hip hop, sub-bass heavy music 24/7... well yeah, I can see the life running out of a P2 pretty quick, especially at high volumes. They aren't made for that at high SPL's for long periods of time. Look for a sub with extensive cooling, a higher xmax, extended back plate and higher power handling if you plan to beat them with no respect. You are going to have to up your budget, no ifs and or buts... unless you buy second hand or from pawnshops.
Bass boast gain too high or a combination of both clipping in other words if I had to guess. I beat the crap out of my subs for hours everyday I'm working too. I had a p2 15  for years it never died finally just threw it away a few months ago. Idk.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.