The do's and dont''s of my first wall....it seems like something isn't right....

Lol sorry about that. I keep forgetting to update my sig info.....and hertz mafia I was trying to stack the 2x4's so they would brace the outside of the box so it won't flex because I only have one layer all the way around and double baffled on the front....How many layers do you and chris recommend? Like I said this is my first wall lol. I jumped in not knowing anything about building a wall.....but I love to learn new things and I'm a quick learner. That's also why I was asking for help from people who have a wall and are doing 150+ like you and chris. Cause I knew you would definitely chime in on my thread which I do appreciate by the way. Oh and for internal bracing I have 45's in the corners and two 2x2's going front to back and two 2x2's going vertically. And the 2x12's on the back are for added external bracing so it won't flex as much. Oh and what would be the best/easiest way to seal it off completely?
you cant expect any result if you dont seal off the wall. right now all the pressure is directed to your rear hatch.

think about why people fire subs towards the trunk, it directs all the pressure to the front... well you are firing towards the front directed all the pressure to the rear. its gonna continue like that, you wont get ANY results unless you completely and fully seal off the front from the rear. Not even a slight air bubble can leak towards the rear. get some fiberglass and start sealing.

And I was still louder then you:crap:, ...
I just seen paper maker say in another thread a dude with 2 18s and taramps 15k should be doing 162db... lmao... papermaker has NOoooo idea what it takes to do a 162db... my fvcking head almost exploded when he said that.
dude 162 on burps with 2 18s 15kw? thats EASY. i burped mid 150s with ONE 15 on 2500. ROFKMSL

I don't think a 60+ is ever going to be easy...it takes a lot of testing imo
yea. a sweep finding FR and resonance and a good seal around the enclosure. i did a 153.3 with one 9515D on the dash at a triple pointed walled off after like 2 hours of play with two RF a7s strapped @ 4ohm(they did supposedly 1700@2ohm per) so id bet no more than about 1800 clamped. adding another woofer and doubling power even though gains are always linear i assure you it would have been(it was 12 cubes tuned to 42 lol) would put me high 150s with only 6kw,.

me and a friend did it as a joke to show tards here one woofer could get loud as ****. now 160 on music is insanely hard and take 10x that power if its relatively flat.

Still waiting for papermaker to put his money where his mouth is... where's your build with these awesome 160db+ numbers?
Right... I'm only wanting to be mid 50's with 15k power... decided to go ahead and do 30k and hope these things last on a few burps this season. I'm not ready to put in the work it takes to hit 60's+ I don't have the time or motivation (yet) to do so. Simple flat wall with two neo 18's on gobs of power should do me well until I decide to go for broke and do a walkthrough

Lol I completely agree it looks like ****, and yes It's plywood. I had roughly 20 sheets on hand so instead of buying sheets of mdf I thought I could get away with using that. I was wrong. Lesson learned though. Looks like i'll be taking everything out tomorrow to start over. Would you guy's mind posting a few pictures of the insides of your wall and also the back so I can get some idea's on how to seal it off and brace it so it doesn't look like a big *** box lol.

Oh and jeff that makes perfect sense. So you say use fiberglass to seal it off, should i get the shape of my roof and side panels with card board and then cut it out on one sheet of wood and then just fiberglass the backside to the headliner? That's why i would prefer some pictures for a better reference lol so i don't have to ask dumb questions and feel retarded afterwards

Oh and jeff that makes perfect sense. So you say use fiberglass to seal it off, should i get the shape of my roof and side panels with card board and then cut it out on one sheet of wood and then just fiberglass the backside to the headliner? That's why i would prefer some pictures for a better reference lol so i don't have to ask dumb questions and feel retarded afterwards
No need to worry about asking dumb questions. Ask away. Its a lot easier to ask for help and info than to learn through trial and error.

Very true! Thank you slo_ride.....Oh and also, do you guys think I would be able to get away with still using the same type of plywood since i'll have two layers all the way around and four baffles and I'm going to glass the whole inside of the box. Or should I use mdf? I figured since it'll be heavier that it'll even out like the weight of mdf. Cause I can't really afford $130 of mdf at the moment lol. I can triple layer the whole thing if need be.

Very true! Thank you slo_ride.....Oh and also, do you guys think I would be able to get away with still using the same type of plywood since i'll have two layers all the way around and four baffles and I'm going to glass the whole inside of the box. Or should I use mdf? I figured since it'll be heavier that it'll even out like the weight of mdf. Cause I can't really afford $130 of mdf at the moment lol. I can triple layer the whole thing if need be.
The reason we use mdf is because its non resonant. The plywood has a natural reverb that its very hard to get out. I would guess that 2-3 layers of ply is only equal to 1 sheet of mdf.

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/627766-bye-bye-back-seats.html

Mine.

You will want minimum 2 layers + bracing everywhere, even 6 layer baffle needed bracing for me. Sealing completely is also critical. I'd also suggest you go down to two subs and get as much port as you can. Multiple round ports are not optimum.

I wouldn't worry about using the plywood you have, just go more layers and more bracing.

Are your subs getting close to bottoming when playing low

Turn your high pass down until they are really moving but not bottoming out

Also you have extra stiff recones with al coils

They will not be low note woofers

But let them break in and loosen up I'm sure they will start to play lower

Find what is rattling and fix it

Your wall is not horrible. I've for sure seen worse

The reason we use mdf is because its non resonant. The plywood has a natural reverb that its very hard to get out. I would guess that 2-3 layers of ply is only equal to 1 sheet of mdf.
Nonsense. As far as rigidity there is little difference between MDF and even cheap plywood.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.