Should I wall the Focus...?

just call me KeV
10+ year member

It's been 10 years since I've had a walled vehicle and it might be time again. I've done 3 before. I think I could do 2 18" or a single 21" I want to retain all my legroom so I wouldn't be building to the "B" pillar. I can build into the trunk if needed. I have a few ideas but I wanted to round table this ish and get some pro's and cons. I have a few different subs to try but I wouldn't run any more than 1500 watts. I want to stay low power. I'd love to run it on my fronstage amps would actually be only 60 watts. lol I also want to retain the rear door midbass so I have 12" of depth and about 16" at the top. I wouldn't be chasing numbers. I've already had my 150 and I'm good. I'd just like to build another wall if only for asthetic reasons.
Dimensions:
This would be the outer dimensions of the possible enclosure based on the measurements I've just taken.
39H x 48w x 12D
This would leave me with a little less than 12 cu. after wall thickness, internal bracing, and driver displacement.

Thoughts.

I went back and forth about walling the jetta. I ended up deciding to just rip the back seats out and make a big enclosure there to retain the trunk and legroom. Walling seems to only be worth it to run huge power and more than 2-18" drivers. I can get just under 16 cubic feet staying below the window line and having 6" on the front for amp mounting. That's technically enough space for 4 18's.

Matt

I won't be getting rid of it. I bought it just for the build. I was thinking of building something efficient. Just experimenting for fun and the like. Thank you for the input though.
Now you've lost me. If you only bought the vehicle to build it, why are you asking for opinions, and why didn't you decide on your build before choosing a vehicle?

Now you've lost me. If you only bought the vehicle to build it, why are you asking for opinions, and why didn't you decide on your build before choosing a vehicle?
The original plan was to do 4 18" infinite baffle which I have moved towards but I had the thought that now that I am back in the hobby; I could see down the line, that I wouldn't be satisfied with the output. This given the drivers I was using. I know it sounds contradictory given what I said in the above post about numbers and output and I apologize for that. That maybe, I need to go bigger. This and if I were to modify cut the rear deck to accomadate the two extra 18's I should think of a wall instead. I travel alot for work so the plan was to build something fun and crazy with a lot of speakers to play with while I am home.. It would be a daily in as much as I will be home. (week a month.)
I guess what I'm looking for is someone to say "full send." I'm stuck in this "middling" idea of low power. I'm also waffling on building something that is loud. I'm not really intersted in building an sq car. My only real concern is tonality and being able to listen to it all day.
I'm sure this response is frustrating to some and what I really need to do is just upgrade the electrical and run some serious wattage.
Would it be fun to be loud...? Yeah. But I'm not sure that I care. This is why I am asking the community for ideas. I want to get off this damn fencepost either way.

Maybe I shouldn't have made the post bros. I'm just trying to work through this s%& and I wanted as many brains on it as possible. The rum and coke isn't helping either

Last edited:
I went back and forth about walling the jetta. I ended up deciding to just rip the back seats out and make a big enclosure there to retain the trunk and legroom. Walling seems to only be worth it to run huge power and more than 2-18" drivers. I can get just under 16 cubic feet staying below the window line and having 6" on the front for amp mounting. That's technically enough space for 4 18's.

Matt
This may be where I am having issues. I have never run more than 3k in any system I have had in the last 20+ years. I'm a big ol' scaredy cat when it comes to the 10kw+ systems. I don't know much about lithium or supercap banks and that has been a tangible fear for me. I just haven't done enough research and definitely dont have the experience.

Last edited:
The biggest reservation I'd have is the weight. Doing a sturdy wall is going to be a few hundred pounds of lumber on top of the woofers and amps and battery(s) or whatever all else. Otherwise if you've got no back seats anyway, I see no downside.

If you have low FS high Qts subs how does this play out in anything besides an extremely large sealed box though?

The biggest reservation I'd have is the weight. Doing a sturdy wall is going to be a few hundred pounds of lumber on top of the woofers and amps and battery(s) or whatever all else. Otherwise if you've got no back seats anyway, I see no downside.

If you have low FS high Qts subs how does this play out in anything besides an extremely large sealed box though?
These are the questions that I need to be asked. If I commit to a wall I'll need more than what they Peaveys' can offer. It might be time to go shopping for better subwoofers.
The weight is certainly a consideration. Even using birch it would get heavy.
By-the-BY, This isn't just an intelectual exercise for me guys. I am taking all of your posts seriously. I really want the input you are providing. I have been out of the hobby for 10 years and a lot has changed.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...