Silverado DDZ build

How about without HPF? You can still measure both voltage and current and divide... it's just easier/faster with a constant voltage, easier still with a voltage of 10 which makes for very easy division.
I have my subsonic filter all the way down, completely off. These amps have a natural rolloff that you can't stop. It's not a good thing, I know

you're not the only one having issues lol the guy whos been trying to build my box for my ext cab screwed up a couple things the first time around... didn't double baffle like i asked (really, a 54 inch long piece of 3/4 mdf single baffle?), and the box didnt plain fit like it was supposed to even though i gave him my own box that custom fitted by silverado perfect. he just had to match the cutouts... the box sat like 4 inches forward with a huge gap from the back of the box to the back seat and it didnt even sit flat, there was 2-3 inches on each side completely off the carpet. the octo he built was really great, but the hole he cut wasnt an octagon it was a circle, so the first 4 screws he put in didnt even grab wood it just went right through.
im pretty happy i didnt try to build this myself lol car audio is a huge clusterfuck of frustration when you want anything done right. im used to it and i dont even have anything that complicated
CSCstang or someone else?

CSCstang or someone else?
nah a local guy, i should of had stang do it at this point though. probably would of been perfect the first time since he actually has a ext cab to build it in and test. problem was i kept hitting him up and he never got back with me when i was ready to go ahead and pay. it doesnt really bother me, hes still a good guy, just busy and i like same day responses. i was also pretty sure he would take a bit of a loss due to shipping and i like helping out local shops if i like their quality of work.

nah a local guy, i should of had stang do it at this point though. probably would of been perfect the first time since he actually has a ext cab to build it in and test. problem was i kept hitting him up and he never got back with me when i was ready to go ahead and pay. it doesnt really bother me, hes still a good guy, just busy and i like same day responses. i was also pretty sure he would take a bit of a loss due to shipping and i like helping out local shops if i like their quality of work.
Ok, just making sure

Inverted my sub cuz it looks cool

IMG_20150928_174628_742_zpsndovqnar.jpg

Somebody at school has two type R 10's and a 12 in their car //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

IMG_20150925_133021_263_zpsoxjyfrpz.jpg

Also, I took these screenshots on 4chan last night and figured I would share them for the lulz

Screenshot%202015-09-27%20at%2010.08.08%20PM_zpsk5y5bzs4.png

Screenshot%202015-09-27%20at%2010.33.31%20PM_zpss2jhyr6t.png

^Had to crop out the image that the OP included with this. Made it like 10x funnier

you probably caught him when he had 20+ box orders and several full system installs lol.. He didnt answer his texts for days, just out there grinding it.

@hispls; You were right about the gap!

Even got it today and tore it apart. Not only were the inner/outer diameters weird, but the coils were way too short

I paid $440 for half-assed recones from Tantric. Anything I could do about it?

Skip all the "I told you so's"

If there's a way I can get money back, I'm all ears. I'm about to make a new thread on CACO and hopefully post specs

Inverted my sub cuz it looks cool
IMG_20150928_174628_742_zpsndovqnar.jpg

Somebody at school has two type R 10's and a 12 in their car //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

IMG_20150925_133021_263_zpsoxjyfrpz.jpg

Also, I took these screenshots on 4chan last night and figured I would share them for the lulz

Screenshot%202015-09-27%20at%2010.08.08%20PM_zpsk5y5bzs4.png

Screenshot%202015-09-27%20at%2010.33.31%20PM_zpss2jhyr6t.png

^Had to crop out the image that the OP included with this. Made it like 10x funnier
Oooh fancy system he's got there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[quote name='adulbrich']@hispls; You were right about the gap!

Even got it today and tore it apart. Not only were the inner/outer diameters weird, but the coils were way too short

If there's a way I can get money back, I'm all ears. I'm about to make a new thread on CACO and hopefully post specs[/QUOTE]

Well, if the guy was in any position to make good he'd have just refunded you cash or given you the right parts to begin with It's doubtful anything beyond the dustcap is salvageable. If he uses CA glue you might be able to soak the cut up triple joint in acetone to melt the glue and save the coil. That's assuming you had another use for that coil and who knows how good it is whether it's worth saving or not??

Can you get gap measurements? I might could have access to some parts extra. If Tantric will make good by selling you raw parts, you could try to grab some 10X3" spiders, some spiders, or tinsel lead wire, or something else that you can use or sell. OR find someone who can buy or trade for a Tantric recone and have him send you something like that?

Really if it were anything else besides the Z motor I'd suggest gathering parts and having one of us build them (or build yourself piece by piece). IF I could find a coil to fit, you'd be around 150 a pop (after shipping) to just acquire non DD parts.

For the record, what does DD charge for their parts for those?

Well, if the guy was in any position to make good he'd have just refunded you cash or given you the right parts to begin with It's doubtful anything beyond the dustcap is salvageable. If he uses CA glue you might be able to soak the cut up triple joint in acetone to melt the glue and save the coil. That's assuming you had another use for that coil and who knows how good it is whether it's worth saving or not??
Can you get gap measurements? I might could have access to some parts extra. If Tantric will make good by selling you raw parts, you could try to grab some 10X3" spiders, some spiders, or tinsel lead wire, or something else that you can use or sell. OR find someone who can buy or trade for a Tantric recone and have him send you something like that?

Really if it were anything else besides the Z motor I'd suggest gathering parts and having one of us build them (or build yourself piece by piece). IF I could find a coil to fit, you'd be around 150 a pop (after shipping) to just acquire non DD parts.

For the record, what does DD charge for their parts for those?
I'm hoping I can add this to the complaint list that Murphy has to settle before returning to CACO's vendor section

I don't think it's worth saving the soft parts and using them for something else. 72impala is just going to correctly align the coil tomorrow using the same parts temporarily.

In the future when I have more money, I'll do one of the following:

1. Sell these motors and just buy some new stock Z 18's

2. Have him build the subs with the best or most ideal parts for my intentions

3. Send them in to DD to get stock recones

I think it was like $260 each fro drop in normal cones or $460 each for composite drop-ins. I'll just get normal cones, unless I see someone selling two used matching 18" composite cones.

I'm also thinking about just walling it with two 21's and getting more 20k's when the 30k comes out and everyone ditches their 20k's for cheap

[quote name='adulbrich']@hispls; You were right about the gap!

If there's a way I can get money back, I'm all ears. I'm about to make a new thread on CACO and hopefully post specs[/QUOTE]

[quote name='29hz&Under']Does a dd z really have that tight of a gap? Or did murph build the recones with wrong size coil?[/QUOTE]

I was the one that said murph prly sent u wrong coil.

I'm hoping I can add this to the complaint list that Murphy has to settle before returning to CACO's vendor section
I don't think it's worth saving the soft parts and using them for something else. 72impala is just going to correctly align the coil tomorrow using the same parts temporarily.

In the future when I have more money, I'll do one of the following:

1. Sell these motors and just buy some new stock Z 18's

2. Have him build the subs with the best or most ideal parts for my intentions

3. Send them in to DD to get stock recones

I think it was like $260 each fro drop in normal cones or $460 each for composite drop-ins. I'll just get normal cones, unless I see someone selling two used matching 18" composite cones.

I'm also thinking about just walling it with two 21's and getting more 20k's when the 30k comes out and everyone ditches their 20k's for cheap
21 z lol can't imagine the price. I'm going to call and see how much to turn my 18 into a 21. Maybe future build

Yes for the record the gap tolerances are way too tight. Not to mention it is a short coil and that is not ideal in a radial neo motor with a long stroke. The OD OF the pole is 2.998" the ID of the coil is 3.01

For all that don't know that is really cutting it close. Basically I can't fit shims or even paper in between the coil and pole. I'm going to have to lay the CA down, keep pressing up and down until I hear no rub then quickly spray activator. This gap is especially too tight for music applications which I know Alex told Murphy he wanted I'm sure. That coil rocks at all and you are rubbing the pole.

As he asked I'm going to salvage it, I got the soft parts out in one piece and I'll install it the best that it can be, sent back to him so he can demo until he has more money for OPTIMAL parts.

I am willing to make him nice recones as I have built these and other radials before with great success. He will be a happy camper. Or if not DD is obviously a great option.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.