Recommendations for slim powered underseat subwoofer 2022 Silverado

Participant count
  • Participant list

DJin TX

CarAudio.com Recruit
Houston
Ok so I had posted here a couple of years ago before I got my truck, but then put everything on hold as there were too many unknowns. Now I am back at it and would appreciate some suggestions.

Some context: I was into car audio in high school (30 years ago) and had a very meager budget system. I’ve been out of the game a very long time but wanting back in but limited on cash. I also do not need to rattle any nearby cars or houses or let the whole block know I’m home, I really just want a fuller sound with a good deal more bass. I have the stock head unit and speakers (non-Bose) in my ‘22 Silverado crew cab. I also have two kids who sit in back a lot as well as driving the dog to the vet regularly so I can’t cram in a big speaker box back there. I am partial to alpine and in my prior thread was looking at the S series 10 inch subs, but there just is not enough space.

With that said I then started looking at Alpine’s new RS-SB12 (and 10) shallow pre-loaded sub which is much slimmer, but in measuring my space I still don’t think it would fit. Likewise the quote I got to add this plus amp plus labor parts and tax was $1400, and this is just more than I can talk my wife into.

So now looking for shallow underseat powered subs like the Alpine PWE-S8 that would just be added to my stock system/speakers. I have read some good things as well as a few people saying they are underwhelming. Of course I have not heard it in person. Any thoughts on this particular sub? I would also consider other brands if they were better but I realize a lot of times that is more personal preference.

Have any of you heard the PWE-S8 and if so what do you think? Any alternatives I should consider?

Thanks
Derek

At 8 5/8" x 10 1/8", seems like a stretch to put in under a seat, no pun intended! They are a pretty good solution for ready-to-go subs. Strapped the 10" into a friend's Saturn trunk, and did the job pretty well.

Just search for Bazooka BTA8250D

--- OR ---

Ok thanks, and i definitely think it will not fit. Only a few inches clearance under the rear seat and nothing behind the seat as it is flush with the rear wall of the cab, the backs don’t move or adjust. Also hoping for an under front seat solution because as I have to pop the rear seats up alot for our dog I don’t want t to be pulling a speaker box out of the truck every week. Likewise my kids would step on edges that stick out from under the seat and mess something up.

Ok thanks, and i definitely think it will not fit. Only a few inches clearance under the rear seat and nothing behind the seat as it is flush with the rear wall of the cab, the backs don’t move or adjust. Also hoping for an under front seat solution because as I have to pop the rear seats up alot for our dog I don’t want t to be pulling a speaker box out of the truck every week. Likewise my kids would step on edges that stick out from under the seat and mess something up.
Could always put one of these under each of the front seats!

If your back seat is like this one on drivers side and like the Tx Edition and 3.0 Diesel version? It will fit.. Even the 6" powered one. The 8 will fit,, sub under drivers rear seat facing rear door with port turned at an angle in the front.

Last edited:
Ok so I’ve been on radio silence for a few days on this, contemplating. I was getting very set on the Alpine all in one PWE – S8 sub+amp, but I read a few things from people who had installed this not only saying that it was extremely underwhelming, but also that either the speaker completely died within 2 to 3 months, and that was with professional installation, but also some users started hearing a rattling and crackling and static sound. I’m starting to think that lots of vibration, in the same unit that has the delicate amplifier wiring may not be the best idea. So now I am full circle and considering shallow mount subs again and I have some questions if somebody can help. I’m debating between the Alpine RS-SB10 and the Alpine SS-SB12. So these two boxes have very similar dimensions, and I think would squeeze under the backseat of my truck. The R series is higher end so much more power handling, higher RMS and peak wattage rating and in a fiber board enclosure. the S series is in some sort of a polycarbonate enclosure and lower power specs. The design of the series R looks worlds better. My question is that at face value the R series should be much better than the S series. However, I’m wondering if the larger 12 inch cone in the S series is going to be better than the higher end R series in the 10 inch variety. What is better, size or series? I can find reviews of the R series that talk about how great it is, but I am finding zero reviews for the S series.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I didn't find the difference in efficiency but assume it is close as are most of the other specs. This would boil down to what amplifier you intend to use, plain and simple. 500 watts to the 10" is going to outperform 250 watts to the 12, that simple. If you are going to use a 300-watt amp, get the 12" If you intend to get something that has 5-600 watts, the 10" is the way to go. Personally I'd be inclined to go with the 10" and a more powerful amp - my listening preferences considering, but I, like most in the hobby, tend to lean toward the extreme.

That said, if you were thinking that a Bazooka might be fine, that 12" with a decent amp would be more than adequate for most. 300 watts to a 12" in your truck would certainly play quite convincingly. You could get the 12" Alpine and this amp for less than the cost of the 10 alone.

This with the 12" would work very nicely indeed!

Last edited:
Ok so I had posted here a couple of years ago before I got my truck, but then put everything on hold as there were too many unknowns. Now I am back at it and would appreciate some suggestions.

Some context: I was into car audio in high school (30 years ago) and had a very meager budget system. I’ve been out of the game a very long time but wanting back in but limited on cash. I also do not need to rattle any nearby cars or houses or let the whole block know I’m home, I really just want a fuller sound with a good deal more bass. I have the stock head unit and speakers (non-Bose) in my ‘22 Silverado crew cab. I also have two kids who sit in back a lot as well as driving the dog to the vet regularly so I can’t cram in a big speaker box back there. I am partial to alpine and in my prior thread was looking at the S series 10 inch subs, but there just is not enough space.

With that said I then started looking at Alpine’s new RS-SB12 (and 10) shallow pre-loaded sub which is much slimmer, but in measuring my space I still don’t think it would fit. Likewise the quote I got to add this plus amp plus labor parts and tax was $1400, and this is just more than I can talk my wife into.

So now looking for shallow underseat powered subs like the Alpine PWE-S8 that would just be added to my stock system/speakers. I have read some good things as well as a few people saying they are underwhelming. Of course I have not heard it in person. Any thoughts on this particular sub? I would also consider other brands if they were better but I realize a lot of times that is more personal preference.

Have any of you heard the PWE-S8 and if so what do you think? Any alternatives I should consider?

Thanks
Derek
I would never marry someone who tells me how to spend my money, but sounds like you are past that.

The best underseat box I used was MTX Thunderform. It fit perfect and sounded decent for an underseat, sealed application. See if they make a box for your application.

I didn't find the difference in efficiency but assume it is close as are most of the other specs. This would boil down to what amplifier you intend to use, plain and simple. 500 watts to the 10" is going to outperform 250 watts to the 12, that simple. If you are going to use a 300-watt amp, get the 12" If you intend to get something that has 5-600 watts, the 10" is the way to go. Personally I'd be inclined to go with the 10" and a more powerful amp - my listening preferences considering, but I, like most in the hobby, tend to lean toward the extreme.

That said, if you were thinking that a Bazooka might be fine, that 12" with a decent amp would be more than adequate for most. 300 watts to a 12" in your truck would certainly play quite convincingly. You could get the 12" Alpine and this amp for less than the cost of the 10 alone.

This with the 12" would work very nicely indeed!

Currently per recommendation for use with the R series sub, planning on the alpine S2-A60m, 600w. I had assumed I would also use this with the S series, but maybe not

Last edited:
Well then, it comes down to "how loud is loud" to you. Given that the two are both about the same efficiency-wise, the 12" at 300 watts will outdo the 10" at the same. Not wanting to do the math, but for the sake of argument - we start to see diminishing returns. It might take another 100 watts for the 10" to catch up, then, another 100 to really play much louder. At that point, it may be ridiculously loud anyway. I seriously doubt you're going to ever put 500 watts into an under-the-seat sub, really don't see that, but that's me. 12" would be my choice if either of them fit. That Alpine is a nice amp too. Save on the sub, get the Alpine amp, win/win. My2cents

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...