Upgrading stock 19 silverado sound

Participant count
  • Participant list

dannieboiz
10+ year member

Bay Area
It's been a long time since I've had to upgrade any car audio but the sound of the stock non bose speaker sounds like crap.

The goal is to keep everything as stocking looking as possible so I plan on keeping the stock HU.

Speakers,
Front- JL Audio C1-690 6x9 comonent (would it sound any better if I went 6.5?)
Rear - JL Audio C1-650x
Amp- kicker key 200.4

Sub - Kicker 46HS10

Would this combo be pretty decent? I'm trying to keep the budget around $1k and is open to any recommendation. The goal is to keep the installation as basic as possible and maintain all the space I can in the cabin.

I like JL for a lot of things, Budget coaxials are not one that stands out. TOo ay other current offerings that I think outperform JL at this price point.

The OEM openings are available to use, I would use them.

Front doors/dash corners

(2.75" adaptors in the dash for tweeters)

Rear doors

They have been sold out for a while now, I got a pair, BNIB, yours for $125 shipped.

These NVX are some of the best bang for buck speakers out there. The X series have exceptional silk dome tweeters from germany that are very good.

That kicker key is a cool little amp and keeps things simple enough.

Consider this for output, comparatively - 4 times the output, hard to beat it.

That kicker sub is convenient and is more of a stealth sub so if that is what you;re going for, looks good. I would get some additional input from others in here that have more experience with these types of powered subs. Alpine makes some really nice units as do JL, Audiocontrol, etc.

Last edited:
i've been away from the car audio scenes for way too long. I saw the NVX speakers you mention but skipped right passed it because I never heard of them.

I wanted the Kicker key is because it has built in DSP, one less component to worry about.

The price on those Recoil audio is pretty nice. if I went with a recoil audio 1800.5 it still leave me with some $ left for DSP.

i've been away from the car audio scenes for way too long. I saw the NVX speakers you mention but skipped right passed it because I never heard of them.

I wanted the Kicker key is because it has built in DSP, one less component to worry about.

The price on those Recoil audio is pretty nice. if I went with a recoil audio 1800.5 it still leave me with some $ left for DSP.
Those NVX are very good indeed. I only have a leftover set because they were originally going into my brothers restomod 68 Chevelle SS and we decided that the coaxials would be less of an issue when trying to maintain the original factory locations. We did put the coaxials in and have to say, those tweeters are very, very good indeed. I made a set of speakers in the garage using a pair of the comps and they are pretty damn nice. Very accurate, airy but coinscise top end. Cymbals that go Tis, Tis, not Tishh, tishh if you know what i mean. When you hit a cymbal with a stick it should not sound like you hitting it with a hard brush!

NVX has been a leader in budget-minded stuff for many years, good product, great prices.

I considered that 5 channel for you too. You selected a powered sub, so I tried to stay within the stated parameters. For a chunk less than that, the D4S 5 channel would leave a LOT left for a DSP processor.

$309

Or this at $409

Or on the low end For $199

- OR -

$249

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...