Recommendations for slim powered underseat subwoofer 2022 Silverado

Participant count
  • Participant list
I would suggest the MT10001 for any of these configurations. Cost, features, and usability in any of these scenarios make it an easy choice for both subs. Get the SS SB12, set it in the truck, adjust it, or have the installer adjust the gains for optimal performance (not maximum spl). Once you get it, put it in, don't mount the sub, just set it in the space where it will go. Play it, and see if it meets your expectations. Worst case, you send it back to Amazon and get the RS10. Having the MT10001 ensures that with either sub you have enough power to get the job done. Once the one amp is installed, never have to change that part if you have the MT10001 and while it's a lot of power, you'll likely never use all of it for the SS SB12 or the RS SB10.

Win/win!

Last edited:
I would suggest the MT10001 for any of these configurations. Cost, features, and usability in any of these scenarios make it an easy choice for both subs. Get the SS SB12, set it in the truck, adjust it, or have the installer adjust the gains for optimal performance (not maximum spl). Once you get it, put it in, don't mount the sub, just set it in the space where it will go. Play it, and see if it meets your expectations. Worst case, you send it back to Amazon and get the RS10. Having the MT10001 ensures that with either sub you have enough power to get the job done. Once the one amp is installed, never have to change that part if you have the MT10001 and while it's a lot of power, you'll likely never use all of it for the SS SB12 or the RS SB10.

Win/win!
Very good info, thanks. As for comparing the two subs, the ss-12 has mounting brackets that appear to mean you would bolt it down, whereas the rs-10 has rubber feet. Does rubber feet mean it doesn’t bolt down? Are there Pros and cons to this or am I just misunderstanding?

I would recommend rubber feet or some sort of pad to isolate the enclosure from direct contact with the CAB for both. I didn't look at the dimensions and it may be that the 12 doesn't have the feet as they had to conform to tighter tolerances to get the larger driver/airspace combinations and still make it under a seat. if it were me, once you decide that you like one or the other, find a way to bolt it down. Subs need to be tightly affixed to avoid unwanted movement or vibrations.

I would recommend rubber feet or some sort of pad to isolate the enclosure from direct contact with the CAB for both. I didn't look at the dimensions and it may be that the 12 doesn't have the feet as they had to conform to tighter tolerances to get the larger driver/airspace combinations and still make it under a seat. if it were me, once you decide that you like one or the other, find a way to bolt it down. Subs need to be tightly affixed to avoid unwanted movement or vibrations.
So I plan to take my truck in to my audio installer soon so we can measure below my backseat to judge how the SS-12 will fit before I order anything. In advance of that real world data, if I end up deciding that the SS-12 is a bit too deep and sticks out further from under the seat than I am comfortable with, what do you think of the smaller SS-10 (s series not r) ? I’m wondering how much bass output loss would be expected? Do you think it would still be a worthwhile upgrade?

So circling back on this. I finally got my quote on this system. Was expecting $1200-1300, but the installer came back with $1060. So that was a nice surprise. Now the problem is that a follow up conversation with my wife on the subject has highlighted that we were not on the same page about spending a big chunk on this. We’ll see where that goes, but in the meantime I wanted to turn this discussion on its ear a bit.

I started thinking about how music over the radio is such low quality and how the really good listening will likely be from usb audio files, and then I thought, how a big part of the expense is wiring kits and base knobs and line out kits, not to mention the install/labor costs. Obviously I do not have the knowledge/tools to install myself without fear of causing an electrical meltdown and/or fire.

So I’m stuck. BUT… I saw an ad for a large blue tooth speaker by Soundboks, and it made me wonder, what if I had a stand alone speaker that has blue tooth and get its power from one of my ac/dc outlets in the truck? I could then have the flexibility of having the sound in the truck when I want to and easily take it out when I need the space for storage kids or dogs. So of course my next question is, is there such a product out there that would give all the sound wanted that would sound substantially better than my factory system that includes the tweeters woofers and a sub to get all of the frequencies? Would it fill the cab of the truck with sound like I would want? Obviously this would not be playing at the same time (in sync) with the factory speakers to make use of the existing highs and mids of the built in system, so this portable speaker would have to have it all and have some power behind it. And most importantly, is there such a speaker that would do this that is not $800-1000 itself? If it is barely cheaper then it would not solve the cost problem and would defeat the purpose.

Your thoughts?

So circling back on this. I finally got my quote on this system. Was expecting $1200-1300, but the installer came back with $1060. So that was a nice surprise. Now the problem is that a follow up conversation with my wife on the subject has highlighted that we were not on the same page about spending a big chunk on this. We’ll see where that goes, but in the meantime I wanted to turn this discussion on its ear a bit.

I started thinking about how music over the radio is such low quality and how the really good listening will likely be from usb audio files, and then I thought, how a big part of the expense is wiring kits and base knobs and line out kits, not to mention the install/labor costs. Obviously I do not have the knowledge/tools to install myself without fear of causing an electrical meltdown and/or fire.

So I’m stuck. BUT… I saw an ad for a large blue tooth speaker by Soundboks, and it made me wonder, what if I had a stand alone speaker that has blue tooth and get its power from one of my ac/dc outlets in the truck? I could then have the flexibility of having the sound in the truck when I want to and easily take it out when I need the space for storage kids or dogs. So of course my next question is, is there such a product out there that would give all the sound wanted that would sound substantially better than my factory system that includes the tweeters woofers and a sub to get all of the frequencies? Would it fill the cab of the truck with sound like I would want? Obviously this would not be playing at the same time (in sync) with the factory speakers to make use of the existing highs and mids of the built in system, so this portable speaker would have to have it all and have some power behind it. And most importantly, is there such a speaker that would do this that is not $800-1000 itself? If it is barely cheaper then it would not solve the cost problem and would defeat the purpose.

Your thoughts?
I read all the responses and your most recent post. I like the way you progressed through your decision. I really like your decision to consider a bluetooth speaker. The beauty of that is that you don't pay the exorbitant mark up fees of a private shop, no cutting of factory wires, and you can test various speakers after reading reviews. I recommend Crutchfield. com to look at reviews and costs. They also have excellent support. Amazon, Crutchfield, and Best Buy have good return policies, if you don't like them. AND, your wife will probably sign off on this plan. Happy listening.

I read all the responses and your most recent post. I like the way you progressed through your decision. I really like your decision to consider a bluetooth speaker. The beauty of that is that you don't pay the exorbitant mark up fees of a private shop, no cutting of factory wires, and you can test various speakers after reading reviews. I recommend Crutchfield. com to look at reviews and costs. They also have excellent support. Amazon, Crutchfield, and Best Buy have good return policies, if you don't like them. AND, your wife will probably sign off on this plan. Happy listening.
Very true, however I also am having trouble finding a speaker that would appear to fit the bill, several have tweeters and a woofer, but not a sub for the really low lows. What I want/need may just not exist. If it doesn’t do much to add good deep sub bass, then I may as well just stick with my own system. I’ll keep looking and maybe someone here will have a specific recommendation

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...