Your sub choice

LsGuy

Manila Gorilla
Sep 11, 2020
Ohio
If you had to pick a single 10 inch sub for a sealed box, with ~800 watts power handling, sealed box up to about .75 cubes, purely for sq, which would you pick? I'm experimenting some and not sure which sub I want to go with.

LsGuy

Manila Gorilla
Sep 11, 2020
Ohio
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Interesting, that's definitely something I hadn't considered. Amp is good to 1 ohm

Ridinhi

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Aug 8, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
Interesting, that's definitely something I hadn't considered. Amp is good to 1 ohm
I had a pair of 15’s of that model. They were in 1.5 sealed per sub. Sounded amazing and got really low. Hate I sold those. Only paid $150 for the pair brand new.

hispls

CarAudio.com Veteran
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Sep 10, 2009
Central Maine
Cool, but 400W power handling is probably not going to cut it for OP.

I think Dayton has a solid lineup for 800W and small sealed department and would also consider looking at ID. I'd say check out Adire but I'm not sure if they have anything that fits the bill for "small box", might want to see what they suggest and google some reviews from folks who had tried those applications.

LsGuy

Manila Gorilla
Sep 11, 2020
Ohio
Cool, but 400W power handling is probably not going to cut it for OP.

I think Dayton has a solid lineup for 800W and small sealed department and would also consider looking at ID. I'd say check out Adire but I'm not sure if they have anything that fits the bill for "small box", might want to see what they suggest and google some reviews from folks who had tried those applications.
Dayton were the first to mind when I decided I was going to try a sealed setup, certainly still very high on my list. I checked out a couple of Adire. Currently sort of looking into SSA and honestly maybe nvx. No experience with either manufacturer though.

hispls

CarAudio.com Veteran
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Sep 10, 2009
Central Maine
Dayton were the first to mind when I decided I was going to try a sealed setup, certainly still very high on my list. I checked out a couple of Adire. Currently sort of looking into SSA and honestly maybe nvx. No experience with either manufacturer though.
NVX seems borderline flea-market tier. SSA has been solid in the past but not sure how their inventory or lead time is these days.

LsGuy

Manila Gorilla
Sep 11, 2020
Ohio
A lot of their stuff seems to be in stock, though the sub I'm considering doesn't actually say. The power handling is a good chunk less than what I was wanting, but small box and good xmax. It's worth considering I believe.

Ridinhi

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Aug 8, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
NVX seems borderline flea-market tier. SSA has been solid in the past but not sure how their inventory or lead time is these days.
True, I’m in at 10 weeks now waiting for my sub from IA which I purchased from SSA. Not speaking negatively on SSA or IA but just prepare yourself for a long wait time.

LsGuy

Manila Gorilla
Sep 11, 2020
Ohio
True, I’m in at 10 weeks now waiting for my sub from IA which I purchased from SSA. Not speaking negatively on SSA or IA but just prepare yourself for a long wait time.
A lot of the actual SSA subs are shown in stock ships same day, but I would probably need to call them about this sub in particular.

Ridinhi

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Aug 8, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
A lot of the actual SSA subs are shown in stock ships same day, but I would probably need to call them about this sub in particular.
How can you tell if a particular sub is in stock? Because it lets you actually order it? And where does it says ships same day. I’ve looked but can’t find this info.

LsGuy

Manila Gorilla
Sep 11, 2020
Ohio
How do we feel about soundquebed? Specifically the HDS3.2 line?

SlugButter

CarAudio.com Elite
Nov 5, 2019
arizona
I seriously looked at the soundqubed subs for my current system. I ultimately went with Dayton, but they look good to me in software, and they did model up well in sealed boxes or ported boxes. My reasoning for going with Dayton ultimax subs was because I knew I was going to either sealed or 4th order, so I went with a sub that was specifically made for sealed enclosures almost exclusively. I know Dayton claims the ultimax series can do ported, and they sound decent, but they don’t shine ported like they do sealed. They don’t gain enough output ported to offset the loss of SQ for me.

SlugButter

CarAudio.com Elite
Nov 5, 2019
arizona
Efficiency on power is the only reason I see to ever go ported for a daily driver. If I were to think in terms of enclosure size only, and power wasn’t an issue, I would far rather have 2 sealed subs in the same size enclosure as a single ported sub of the same type, but you have to double the power. I’m adding 3 more Dayton ultimax 8s to my system this summer I think. 1 is too impressive not to try 4.

Reactions: Ridinhi

LsGuy

Manila Gorilla
Sep 11, 2020
Ohio
Yeah I've got the ultimax saved, but I can't find the 2 ohm DVC in stock anywhere currently. The power handling is also slightly worrying, and it's pricier than the soundqubed. Currently I feel like it's between those two subs. When you modeled the quebed, what size sealed box did it like?

SlugButter

CarAudio.com Elite
Nov 5, 2019
arizona
I was actually modeling it for a fourth order more than sealed. This is my last progress when playing with the modeling.
9AACF1CE-40E5-47EA-8096-1EBCAF2C3356.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 10)

Latest posts

Newest threads

Most posts - Past 30 days

Latest classifieds