Your sub choice

Participant count
  • Participant list
I seriously looked at the soundqubed subs for my current system. I ultimately went with Dayton, but they look good to me in software, and they did model up well in sealed boxes or ported boxes. My reasoning for going with Dayton ultimax subs was because I knew I was going to either sealed or 4th order, so I went with a sub that was specifically made for sealed enclosures almost exclusively. I know Dayton claims the ultimax series can do ported, and they sound decent, but they don’t shine ported like they do sealed. They don’t gain enough output ported to offset the loss of SQ for me.

Efficiency on power is the only reason I see to ever go ported for a daily driver. If I were to think in terms of enclosure size only, and power wasn’t an issue, I would far rather have 2 sealed subs in the same size enclosure as a single ported sub of the same type, but you have to double the power. I’m adding 3 more Dayton ultimax 8s to my system this summer I think. 1 is too impressive not to try 4.

Yeah I've got the ultimax saved, but I can't find the 2 ohm DVC in stock anywhere currently. The power handling is also slightly worrying, and it's pricier than the soundqubed. Currently I feel like it's between those two subs. When you modeled the quebed, what size sealed box did it like?

I was actually modeling it for a fourth order more than sealed. This is my last progress when playing with the modeling.
9AACF1CE-40E5-47EA-8096-1EBCAF2C3356.png

I was also impressed by the Savard subwoofers. The only one I modeled was their hi-Q 8 inch which is 650 rms. The 10 jumped up to 1500 rms which is a little larger than I have power for, but they look really nice.

I was also impressed by the Savard subwoofers. The only one I modeled was their hi-Q 8 inch which is 650 rms. The 10 jumped up to 1500 rms which is a little larger than I have power for, but they look really nice.

Those look pretty insane. That's a ton of xmax, but honestly may be a bit much for my system. I'm just running a kicker 800 watt mono

Looks like I may have found something. Much less power handling than I was hoping for, but I always wanted to play with them. Got a deal lined up for a pair of Boston g310s for super cheap. Supposedly working, I'll find out after I get them home.

Nice sub. I always liked the lower lines and upper lines of Boston subs. I had an SPG555 back on the day in a sealed enclosure and really liked it. Not super loud, but it had a nice sound sealed.

Yeah I'm just looking for sq, and I've always heard good things about these. I'd love some G5s, but G5s aren't cheap lol

I got the subs. These honestly look brand new. Visually, everything looks great. Haven't hooked them up yet though. The amp paired with them was only rated at like 225 watts per sub, so they were pretty underpowered. The enclosure is insane. Boston recommends .5 cubes per sub, so a 1 cube box for the 2. My measurements are showing 3.5 cubes net for this current box. I'm not sure how to calculate what exactly that's going to do to these, but my guess is they'll play like **** in this box. That said, boston does rare these subs to be able to play free air, so maybe it won't be as bad.

Got them hooked up and played with them for a couple hours this morning. Not only do they work, but I'm pretty blown away. They aren't nearly as crazy as my JL slims, but for subs in a comically large box, that have been played daily for over a decade, the sq on these absolutely lives up to Bostons reputation. Low lows are deep and commanding, higher lows are punchy and authoritative. They are surprisingly responsive for being in a box 3x the recommended size. I believe I'm going to build some rip off JL stealthboxes and run both of these, around .7 cubes net each sealed. I believe that will help the responsiveness even further, and hopefully not crush the deep lows too badly. Boston says .5 cubes sealed, so .7 I'm thinking will be great. Unfortunately with these being the single voice coil version I'm only able to wire them down to 2 ohms, so I'm only getting 600 watts out of my kicker. I may or may not get a slightly more powerful amp for them. I've decided the JLs I want in another vehicle, and that kicker amp is perfect for them, so I may move the amp to my other vehicle as well. I'm going to switch the JLs to sealed as well. They literally shake my windshield wipers in their current box, but I never actually listen to them at even half of that volume. So, I'm sacrificing a lot of sq currently for volume that I don't even use. May start keeping a better eye out as well for some G5s. If the G3s are this good, I'd love to see what their big brother can do.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...