Really Need Help Finding a Head Unit....

EmpiricalApe

CarAudio.com Regular
I'm looking for a double din stereo with 4-5 volt preamp voltage. I'd like it to have a front facing USB that's capable of sending near CD quality signal. I need at least 3 rca channels, and I'd like it to also have a decent amount of SQ based settings. I don't really care about carplay and android auto or any of that. I'd prefer to spend under $300 but feel free to recommend a good deal. I have been looking and looking and I can't seem to find something with everything I need. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
5 channels on a head unit? Not a chance. What could you possibly need 5 sets for off the head unit? There has to be a way for you to use the preouts on the amp to daisy chain the signal, or use an rca splitter. It's a little more rare to get 3. Never have I seen 4.
I like Kenwood excelons. They will have that for a decent price with 3 preamp outputs.

5 channels on a head unit? Not a chance. What could you possibly need 5 sets for off the head unit? There has to be a way for you to use the preouts on the amp to daisy chain the signal, or use an rca splitter. It's a little more rare to get 3. Never have I seen 4.
I like Kenwood excelons. They will have that for a decent price with 3 preamp outputs.
okay I think I mean 3 channels then... front, rear, and sub... so that'd be 2 speakers per rca channel, plus the sub channel, right? I'm doing components which I'm knew to so there was a little confusion there.

okay I think I mean 3 channels then... front, rear, and sub... so that'd be 2 speakers per rca channel, plus the sub channel, right? I'm doing components which I'm knew to so there was a little confusion there.
Just call up Crutchfield on the phone. They have all the good brands and knowledgeable English speaking phone support who can help you narrow down your options if you tell them your requirements. If all the features you want exist in one unit they'll tell you which ones.

Just call up Crutchfield on the phone. They have all the good brands and knowledgeable English speaking phone support who can help you narrow down your options if you tell them your requirements. If all the features you want exist in one unit they'll tell you which ones.
Yeah i talked with them yesterday. They recommended me the JVC KW-M780BT. Just trying to get a couple options and opinions before I buy one.

Yeah, 3 channels, front, rear, and sub. You can find all of that, check Kenwood out. Don't let a front facing usb limit you. If it has a rear one, you plug in a cord, and route where you want it. Depending on what you do, you can then even plug into and swap out a cigarette lighter, make a mount in a custom location, or just route a long cable to come up somewhere it's easier to get to.

Sounds like you need to just put in a little time searching.

Yeah, 3 channels, front, rear, and sub. You can find all of that, check Kenwood out. Don't let a front facing usb limit you. If it has a rear one, you plug in a cord, and route where you want it. Depending on what you do, you can then even plug into and swap out a cigarette lighter, make a mount in a custom location, or just route a long cable to come up somewhere it's easier to get to.

Sounds like you need to just put in a little time searching.

That's what I did, I removed the cig lighter and replaced it with a USB socket. Fits the factory cut hole for the cig lighter perfect and looks stock. My truck has 2 so put a voltage guage in the other that's perfect fit.

I'd prefer this over a head unit with a USB on the front.. much cleaner look.

OP check out Sony mine has 5v preouts and has worked great so far.

Alpine CDE-W265BT meets all your requirements. That's what I have in my Explorer. It is discontinued, but you can easily find them used and occasionally unused.

Here's another option from Pioneer:

I don't see preout voltage listed on sony's website.

Edit: I was wrong about excelon preout voltage.

Last edited:
The only double dins kenwood shows on their website have 2.5v preouts.
Not sure where you got that. The Excelons. Everyone of em is 3 preouts with 5.0V (DMX908s, DMX 809s, DMX709s, DPX795BH, DPX594BT, DPX395MBT)
The full screens don't have em, but if you filling a space, and prefer buttons (which are easier to use when you aren't looking), the DPX395MBT even has the front USB.

Last edited:
Not sure where you got that. The Excelons. Everyone of em is 3 preouts with 5.0V (DMX908s, DMX 809s, DMX709s, DPX795BH, DPX594BT, DPX395MBT)

I stand corrected. I didn't know excelon products were listed separately. I will edit my post.

Kenwood excelon ddx396.only listen to ipod 4th gen on it and occasional cd.has back up camera connections and u can put whatever pic u want on the screen.also has color options.5v preouts.use to hate kenwood but not after this hu.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...