Really Need Help Finding a Head Unit....

Kenwood excelon ddx396.only listen to ipod 4th gen on it and occasional cd.has back up camera connections and u can put whatever pic u want on the screen.also has color options.5v preouts.use to hate kenwood but not after this hu.
I used to love pioneer...until I got my current hu 🤣

5 channels on a head unit? Not a chance. What could you possibly need 5 sets for off the head unit? There has to be a way for you to use the preouts on the amp to daisy chain the signal, or use an rca splitter. It's a little more rare to get 3. Never have I seen 4.
I like Kenwood excelons. They will have that for a decent price with 3 preamp outputs.
Actually, on good HU's, 5 is correct. Each speaker is a channel. Two front, two rear and a sub is 5. ;)

I ended up going with a JVC KW-M780BT. Pretty sure it's sending noise through the rcas to my 4ch amp tho. I have tried literally everything to fix it. Hoping the ground loop isolators I just bought will fix the issue, but I doubt it.
Here are some basics... I’d remove the RCA’s, listen to the amps with no input, fiddle with the gain, no buzz, at least you know it isn’t an amp ground loop problem. Try changing the source, any other source directly to the amps (making sure the output voltage is within range) using the existing RCA’s, no buzz, not the RCA’s. Make sure you are using twisted pair RCA’s and make sure they do not run parallel or close to your power/ground wires, cross paths only at right angles. If you have multiple channels and/or separate amps, pull all the RCA's out and try each one on each input for each amplifier, each one at a time on to see if one is the source. Not sure what you’ve tried so hope that it helps. I’ve never had very good luck with ground lop isolators, personally. I keep a cheap HU with 4V preamp outputs on hand to test stuff like this, worth the $50 to keep it on hand even if it only gets used for this purpose.

You can even pull the HU and take it to an Audio shop and have it bench tested for very little money. Some reputable shops may not charge anything if you can not or havent the ability to bench test the HU yourself. But if its under warranty, Id send it back within the time frame if it indeed is the issue.

If I purchase an HU. I always buy from either Sonic Electronix or Crutchfield. Both have excellent Warranties and customer service and if a return is needed, its not a hassle by any means. Or, Ill purchase from a friend that Ive known for quite some time. Always save your box and all the plastics to have on hand if a return is needed for any electronics within the warranty time frame

Last edited:
Send it back if it's under warranty

Here are some basics... I’d remove the RCA’s, listen to the amps with no input, fiddle with the gain, no buzz, at least you know it isn’t an amp ground loop problem. Try changing the source, any other source directly to the amps (making sure the output voltage is within range) using the existing RCA’s, no buzz, not the RCA’s. Make sure you are using twisted pair RCA’s and make sure they do not run parallel or close to your power/ground wires, cross paths only at right angles. If you have multiple channels and/or separate amps, pull all the RCA's out and try each one on each input for each amplifier, each one at a time on to see if one is the source. Not sure what you’ve tried so hope that it helps. I’ve never had very good luck with ground lop isolators, personally. I keep a cheap HU with 4V preamp outputs on hand to test stuff like this, worth the $50 to keep it on hand even if it only gets used for this purpose.
I've tried changing ground locations for the amp, I've ran different rcas outside of the car to test, no results. I've ran power wire outside of the car, no results. I checked for grounded speaker wires and taped off the ends. Amplifier gain is at minimum with all this btw. I connected a 3.5mm to rca thing between my phone and the amp and there was no buzz or whine, it was perfect. The noise is definitely coming through the rcas though in some way.

You've answered your own question. If your phone did not produce the same buz through the same RCA's that the HU is using and it returns when you use the HU, then your HU is the culprit. ;)

Last edited:
You've answered your own question. If your phone did not produce the same buz through the same RCA's that the HU is using and it returns when you use the HU, then your HU is the culprit. ;)
I ordered ground loop isolators from cruthfield, they're pretty cheap, but it kinda worked. The whining isn't as bad, but I also have only tested at idle. The whining is still there but I pretty much have to be touching the speaker with my ear to hear it, but then again that's 1 speaker out of 6. Should I still return the head unit, or should I just get some better quality isolators? I'm just worried about going through uninstalling and reinstalling just to still have the issue.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...