Newbie - Need help with box design please

Bangler

USA
Hello everyone! First time poster but I've been a lurker long enough.

I'm looking for help with designing a box that'll work in the back of a 92 jeep wrangler. I listen mostly to metal but also rock and occasionally some techno or dubstep; whatever people call it now. I want the box to be 28"Lx36"Wx18"H. I'd like the subs to face up. With Ports heading to the front or rear.

Products:

-Pioneer DEH-6000? Head Unit - I'll replace it at some point

-Rockville db16 4000w RMS Mono Amp - Not replacing I like this cheap POS

x2-Cerwin Vega 12" V122 dual voice coil 2ohm Subwoofers - rated @ 450rms

-3 1000 amp lead acid batteries

-New 90amp Alt. (upgrade later to 200amp)

I want atleast two 12" subs but If I have enough space I'd prefer 3 subs.

I want a one off box. Something new. Something a little different. I'll pay for good schematics. I have the tools, space, money, and time to build it myself. I just need good measurements to go by.

Thank you very much to anyone that's willing to help.

Here are the T/S numbers

I played with it for a bit, but everything I put into WinISD looked peaky.  But I know very little and you wouldn't want my design anyways.

They seem to look best to me in 2 cubes a piece at 32Hz. In the manual the box is 1.25 cubes per sub.

Here are the T/S numbers

I played with it for a bit, but everything I put into WinISD looked peaky.  But I know very little and you wouldn't want my design anyways.

They seem to look best to me in 2 cubes a piece at 32Hz. In the manual the box is 1.25 cubes per sub.
yea that is very typical for almost any mainstream 12" sub. Their primary goal is to sell as much as they can so they will say it will work with a 1.25 box but sounds way better, louder, and less peaky in a 2 cube box. I like how image dynamics is up front about it and says they have 3 different box recommendations to choose from and show you the curve with it. http://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/d53db0_bf2da363da044eed9aafe18ddcc35806.pdf

Also, I think OP should consider going with a higher tune since he primarily listens to metal and rock. 32 hz would work well with almost any sub so it's a very generic place to start. Moving the tune up can help bring alive the music that he's missing. 

Hello everyone! First time poster but I've been a lurker long enough.

I'm looking for help with designing a box that'll work in the back of a 92 jeep wrangler. I listen mostly to metal but also rock and occasionally some techno or dubstep; whatever people call it now. I want the box to be 28"Lx36"Wx18"H. I'd like the subs to face up. With Ports heading to the front or rear.

Products:

-Pioneer DEH-6000? Head Unit - I'll replace it at some point

-Rockville db16 4000w RMS Mono Amp - Not replacing I like this cheap POS

x2-Cerwin Vega 12" V122 dual voice coil 2ohm Subwoofers - rated @ 450rms

-3 1000 amp lead acid batteries

-New 90amp Alt. (upgrade later to 200amp)

I want atleast two 12" subs but If I have enough space I'd prefer 3 subs.

I want a one off box. Something new. Something a little different. I'll pay for good schematics. I have the tools, space, money, and time to build it myself. I just need good measurements to go by.

Thank you very much to anyone that's willing to help.
First of all, make sure you carry a fire extinguisher if you plan on keeping that Rockville amp.

Have reasonable expectations if you have a soft-top open top vehicle.   Not sure if you have room for more than 2 woofers and not sure if your amp will be too much for them.  Personally I'd start with some generic box specs like the DD spec boxes then lower tuning as needed by shrinking the port.

I ran two of the cheap rockville 4 channels to try out once. They were impressive for $99 but did get pretty hot.

Read the comments, this guy isn't the only one to have his amps actually catch fire.   Selling **** like that should be illegal and nobody should encourage people to buy products that are known fire hazards to put into their vehicles.

Read the comments, this guy isn't the only one to have his amps actually catch fire.   Selling **** like that should be illegal and nobody should encourage people to buy products that are known fire hazards to put into their vehicles.
Must be a newer batch than I had. Actually my buddy bought 4 of them after I had mine for a cheap stunt wall and never had an issue either.

Those are an older line up. Then newer dB series seem to be fine. I have the dB45 hooked up to two 12s. Not a problem.
Yeah, I'm sure their quality has come up leaps and bounds.....

it never ceases to amaze me the brand loyalty these companies can get by selling products that could actually kill or maim people and burn your car to the ground if they have a low enough dollar per watt ratio.

yea that is very typical for almost any mainstream 12" sub. Their primary goal is to sell as much as they can so they will say it will work with a 1.25 box but sounds way better, louder, and less peaky in a 2 cube box. I like how image dynamics is up front about it and says they have 3 different box recommendations to choose from and show you the curve with it. http://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/d53db0_bf2da363da044eed9aafe18ddcc35806.pdf

Also, I think OP should consider going with a higher tune since he primarily listens to metal and rock. 32 hz would work well with almost any sub so it's a very generic place to start. Moving the tune up can help bring alive the music that he's missing. 
I agree about the sub being mainstream and lower level... for his music tastes as well a higher tune probably would work out best.

I put the T/s specs into Winisd and used this enclosure and it looked pretty good to me... Imagine that... lol

XxNKp9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

it never ceases to amaze me the brand loyalty these companies can get by selling products that could actually kill or maim people and burn your car to the ground if they have a low enough dollar per watt ratio.
? Whatever you say.

? Whatever you say.
Not like Samsung didn't have an issue with exploding phones, or Apple with their exploding iPods. Can't believe the brand loyalty these companies get by selling products that could actually kill or maim people...

At the end of the day, you're basing your opinion of a brand on a single video, and a bunch of comments on said video. Not really a scientific analysis there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not like Samsung didn't have an issue with exploding phones, or Apple with their exploding iPods. Can't believe the brand loyalty these companies get by selling products that could actually kill or maim people...

At the end of the day, you're basing your opinion of a brand on a single video, and a bunch of comments on said video. Not really a scientific analysis there.
Their products are all around flea market garbage, the fact that they're catching on fire is just the icing on the cake.  The difference with Samsung is that they had a hundred really great products before they had one that was a fire hazard and had a complete recall of every device that could be a problem and completely discontinued that line. 

Suit yourself though.  Pay now or pay later.

Here are the T/S numbers

Apologies it has taken me so long to reply! Thanks to everyone for taking time to help.

The manual does say 1.25cubes as a minimum so I bought a box about that size and it sounds terrible. It lacks punch.  Up to 50% power isn't bad but after that, it becomes incredible "boomey" - If that's a good word for it. I'm a noob, don't know terms yet.  lol. 

Right now I'm powering a single V122 12" 2ohm sub with a  Rockville DB14 2000watt RMS amp in a 1.25cube box. My math works my current box out closer to 1.1cubes though. Its bad.

First of all, make sure you carry a fire extinguisher if you plan on keeping that Rockville amp.

Have reasonable expectations if you have a soft-top open top vehicle.   Not sure if you have room for more than 2 woofers and not sure if your amp will be too much for them.  Personally I'd start with some generic box specs like the DD spec boxes then lower tuning as needed by shrinking the port.

LMAO. If it burns well I'll pull the plates and leave it there... ****, nah I actually like this jeep   :(  

Perhaps a little more back round might help.

Its a hard top that I run without doors so its not a sealed unit. Its a summer ride that I like to cruise in. I thought about a generic box and have looked at a few but I really want to go with a custom box. I've rebuilt this Jeep from the ground up with roughly 200hrs of labor and $8000 in parts alone. She looks rough, but its an incredibly well built Jeep that looks bone stock. Everything is brand new.

I'm going for a certain look with this jeep, part of the reason I wanted top firing subs. If there are more reasons to not go this route, then there are for it; Ill have to move this "softcore" build over to my 98 Cherokee that I'm currently building.

I like to live dangerously. 

Just messing. Shouldn't be a worry with this setup cause it isn't getting demo'd, I'm not competing, and I only ever drive 10-15 minutes at a time.

Those are an older line up. Then newer dB series seem to be fine. I have the dB45 hooked up to two 12s. Not a problem.
Well... That's good to know!

After a 30 minute jam session, the DB14 unit was barely warm to the touch.. Haven't used a IR temp gun on it yet though so that's subjective.

I have no loyalties to Rockville. I saw these on amazon for cheap and decided I wanted to try something new. My personality leads me to over do everything, it was INCREDIBLY hard for me to buy these cheap POS. That's why I don't want to get rid of them. I'm going against everything I do in RL by using these amps. This is good for me.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.