Newbie - Need help with box design please

I agree about the sub being mainstream and lower level... for his music tastes as well a higher tune probably would work out best.

I put the T/s specs into Winisd and used this enclosure and it looked pretty good to me... Imagine that... lol

That looks simple enough. Yes the whole setup is low buck mainstream garbage. The next build will be with quality equipment. I want to get my feet wet with this build as I get more comfortable with car audio. Sure I could buy a high quality Cerwin Vega - Stroker Pro with a Crescendo amp but I'm trying to do something a little different here. Its hard for me. lol

Their products are all around flea market garbage, the fact that they're catching on fire is just the icing on the cake.  The difference with Samsung is that they had a hundred really great products before they had one that was a fire hazard and had a complete recall of every device that could be a problem and completely discontinued that line. 

Suit yourself though.  Pay now or pay later.
I agree with ya but lets not over exaggerate. This build isn't entering any competitions, demos, or will ever see more then 30 minutes of use at a time. Variables dictate what one can get away with, "pay now or pay later" isn't always the end all be all.

So no chance of having a top firing sub with the amount of space I have?

Lets for a second say I'm dead set on having a top firing enclosure. What Equipment would be recommended to accomplish that? Would a single 15' or single 18' be better?  I don't have a budget. I can spend as much or as little as I want. I just don't want to change amps. No risk, no reward.  :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Top firing with rear port?.. hatch/suv style?.. I don't see why not

With 28"Lx36"Wx18"H available you got room to spare for a set of 12's... that was just an enclosure I used to see how it modeled up around 2ft3 net per and illustrate the size... pretty small IMO with that round port. 

Top firing with rear port?.. hatch/suv style?.. I don't see why not

With 28"Lx36"Wx18"H available you got room to spare for a set of 12's... that was just an enclosure I used to see how it modeled up around 2ft3 net per and illustrate the size... pretty small IMO with that round port. 
Top firing with 1 or more ports facing the front or rear of the vehicle. I just want the most subwoofer I can get in a enclosure of that size. I'd prefer 3 12's but if that doesn't work. I could do two 15's or one 18.

Spitballing huh?... once you decide the equipment you'll use I'm sure someone can help you better. 

28"Lx36"Wx18"H = 9.75 gross... there's probably room for 3 12's there... that amp tho... lol...  got clearance to the tailgate with those measurements?

Yes. 3-4" inches rearward to the gate with 12" available front.

Spitballing could be the word; I'd prefer flexibility. Original goal stands but I have limited experience here. I could throw something together solo but I'd prefer to maximize the available space. I have plenty of money so I could buy different subs, provided there is a reasonable argument but I'd prefer to use 3 of the V122 CW 12" subs that I started with. Amp is easily upgradable, lets not get bogged down on it   :p

That's a dual 2 sub correct?.. thinking of loading the amp at 1.33ohm using 3?.. .66 seems a bit much for that Rockville.

Yes. 3-4" inches rearward to the gate with 12" available front.

Spitballing could be the word; I'd prefer flexibility. Original goal stands but I have limited experience here. I could throw something together solo but I'd prefer to maximize the available space. I have plenty of money so I could buy different subs, provided there is a reasonable argument but I'd prefer to use 3 of the V122 CW 12" subs that I started with. Amp is easily upgradable, lets not get bogged down on it   ?
...So If I'm understanding this correctly its 28" available front to rear (depth) with 3-4" to the tailgate?

36" wide and 18" tall

That's a dual 2 sub correct?.. thinking of loading the amp at 1.33ohm using 3?.. .66 seems a bit much for that Rockville.

...So If I'm understanding this correctly its 28" available front to rear (depth) with 3-4" to the tailgate?

36" wide and 18" tall
Total overall length in the rear is 42"  x 36" width x 18" height. My thoughts were to leave enough length for a battery box to the front. If the extra space is needed for the box, the batteries will go else where

Isn't that a 2ohm stable amp?
The amp is rated @ 4000wrms @ 2ohm but I assume a <20% loss netting me closer to 3200wrms. After deliberating with a friend and a few beers. We figured we could run 3 @ 1.33 ohms with this amp for short excursions. Running below 2 ohms should net me some extra power... right? That's what we figured anyways.

If the amp melts I'll upgrade to something different. If it pops the subs, I'm only out $300. Then I'll have an excuse to upgrade.

Total overall length in the rear is 42"  x 36" width x 18" height. My thoughts were to leave enough length for a battery box to the front. If the extra space is needed for the box, the batteries will go else where

The amp is rated @ 4000wrms @ 2ohm but I assume a <20% loss netting me closer to 3200wrms. After deliberating with a friend and a few beers. We figured we could run 3 @ 1.33 ohms with this amp for short excursions. Running below 2 ohms should net me some extra power... right? That's what we figured anyways.

If the amp melts I'll upgrade to something different. If it pops the subs, I'm only out $300. Then I'll have an excuse to upgrade.
Really don't know about Rockville's low impedance capability. 1.33ohm for short excursions... what does that mean anyways? Thinking of re-wiring the subs at 2.7ohm when not at 1.33 ohm?

Unless you're just playing around... I'd stick to 2 subs wired to 2 ohm in a proper enclosure. It just seems like a lot of work for what you're likely to get to me. Unless you're planning to upgrade subs and amp... in that case, build the enclosure for whatever you're going to get eventually and throw those Vegas in there till you switch out to more capable drivers and maybe different amp?.. 3200 wrms?.. Idk about that... maybe in the dark of the moon after sacrificing a goat when pluto and uranus align. I just can't see that amp delivering anywhere near rated... if you pop the subs it'll likely be cause of clipping. And that's if the amp lasts... I'd stick to 2 ohm if it was me with that amp.

Anyone else wanna add anything?

Just messing. Shouldn't be a worry with this setup cause it isn't getting demo'd, I'm not competing, and I only ever drive 10-15 minutes at a time.
That's not how bad amps work.   Poorly built/designed amps don't need to be abused or ran hard to fail catastrophically.  The Hifonics XXV Sampson was famous for that with about 3 out of 10 blowing up as soon as you power them up.

Really don't know about Rockville's low impedance capability. 1.33ohm for short excursions... what does that mean anyways? Thinking of re-wiring the subs at 2.7ohm when not at 1.33 ohm?

Unless you're just playing around... I'd stick to 2 subs wired to 2 ohm in a proper enclosure. It just seems like a lot of work for what you're likely to get to me. Unless you're planning to upgrade subs and amp... in that case, build the enclosure for whatever you're going to get eventually and throw those Vegas in there till you switch out to more capable drivers and maybe different amp?.. 3200 wrms?.. Idk about that... maybe in the dark of the moon after sacrificing a goat when pluto and uranus align. I just can't see that amp delivering anywhere near rated... if you pop the subs it'll likely be cause of clipping. And that's if the amp lasts... I'd stick to 2 ohm if it was me with that amp.

Anyone else wanna add anything?
Cheap is good in this case cause the vehicle lacks security.  There are no doors, no locks, nothing to stop a thief from jacking the equipment. Perhaps I've provided to much information.

I'm looking for a box design to meet three 12's in a maximum space of 42" Length x 36" width x 18" height. I will pay for a box design that meets my simple requirements; I'm flexible (provided a reasonable argument) to meet my goal of a top firing box with options of two 15's  -  or one 18 to any one that wants to design it.

I found of video of the DB16 on a dyno, its not that bad. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVlbCm034F0 

Please don't get bogged down on my personal risks here. I just want help with the box design please. Paid. Of course.

That's not how bad amps work.   Poorly built/designed amps don't need to be abused or ran hard to fail catastrophically.  The Hifonics XXV Sampson was famous for that with about 3 out of 10 blowing up as soon as you power them up.
That's great but there is no supporting evidence that the DB series of Rockville amps are prone to burn. This site seems to hate anything that affordable which is understandable.  No one wants to recommend something that, perhaps, may have a risk. I understand the risks, so don't worry about it.  ;p

You willing to help design a box?

I'm looking for a box design to meet three 12's in a maximum space of 42" Length x 36" width x 18" height. I will pay for a box design that meets my simple requirements; I'm flexible (provided a reasonable argument) to meet my goal of a top firing box with options of two 15's  -  or one 18 to any one that wants to design it.
That's a nice big box.

Do you own those CV 12s already?  Did anybody confirm TS parameters?

That's great but there is no supporting evidence that the DB series of Rockville amps are prone to burn. This site seems to hate anything that affordable which is understandable.  No one wants to recommend something that, perhaps, may have a risk. I understand the risks, so don't worry about it.  ?

You willing to help design a box?
I've got a lot more experience building boxes for higher end subs.   Strong motor force and stiff suspension types all do well in "DD box" (look at DD's website for plans and specs).  Haven't done anything else in ages and haven't done any entry level tier stuff since the days when sealed box was the conventional wisdom.

IDK if I'd assume you got 3200 watts on tap... but I came up with this.

IoLW0K.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.