How Many Channels and How to Wire???...

initially if i had known what i was doing i would have bought a different head unit... i simply selected something from crutchfield's site that said this radio was compatible...
All aftermarket headunits would have worked the same. Thing I do not undestand is why your adapter harness did not "adapt" the radio's RCAs to the OEM amp's signal input wires. How did the system sound while the amp lasted? Did it have noise issues at higher volume?

All aftermarket headunits would have worked the same. Thing I do not undestand is why your adapter harness did not "adapt" the radio's RCAs to the OEM amp's signal input wires. How did the system sound while the amp lasted? Did it have noise issues at higher volume?
if all aftermarket heads have stereo level outputs then i wouldn't have a choice... i don't understand what you mean by adapt?... the radio outputs 4-channel and the amplifier accepts 4-channel.. then outputs 6-channel... but while the amplifier was working... yes.. it did have noise that i mistook for electronic feedback from the engine... higher volumes drown it out...

if all aftermarket heads have stereo level outputs then i wouldn't have a choice... i don't understand what you mean by adapt?.
Most modern headunits have RCA outputs for use with amplifiers. RCA ouputs are a low level signal that can connect to an OEM amplifier. Below is a radio harness that uses this method. White plug goes to the car's harness, other ends into the radio's harness and RCA outputs. The high level speaker outputs are taped off.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220204-202454.png
    Screenshot_20220204-202454.png
    159.3 KB · Views: 24
Most modern headunits have RCA outputs for use with amplifiers. RCA ouputs are a low level signal that can connect to an OEM amplifier. Below is a radio harness that uses this method. White plug goes to the car's harness, other ends into the radio's harness and RCA outputs. The high level speaker outputs are taped off.
i used the metra 70-8112 harness but basically the same thing... so you're suggesting the RCA outputs on the head unit are not to be run directly to the speakers?...

i don't know the voltage levels the Kenwood RCA outputs but may be in the 4-5 volt range?... i don't know the voltage outputs the OEM radio put out?...it could have been in the 2-3 volt range?... and i don't know if a difference in 2 volts could have affected the factory amplifier... what I did notice after installing the head unit was a high frequency pitch audible at low volume levels... the information I could find about this suggested filters for the power supply, grounding issues or mismatch in input signal voltage levels...

Phase 1 - Aftermarket Head Unit connected to Factory Amplifer, Speakers and Subwoofer. Whether you did it yourself or inhereited it from the previous owner, I hope your aftermarket head unit was well chosen and correctly installed using the parts outlined above. This configuration can sound OK, but unless you're very lucky or using a bunch of filters to hide the problem, you will hear some ground noise (a background hiss or buzz - faint at times and louder at others) along with a higher-pitched whining interference from the alternator that increases with engine RPM. Also, most will hear a solid "Pop!" through the speakers whenever the factory amp turns on or off. I put up with this for a while before deciding to bypass the factory amp: "Phase 2". Getting from a noisy factory amp "integration” Phase 1 to Phase 2 with the bypassed factory amp is mostly what this post is all about, so details and pictures follow below. To get to Phase 2 from Phase 1, you'll need the following:

i used the metra 70-8112 harness but basically the same thing... so you're suggesting the RCA outputs on the head unit are not to be run directly to the speakers?...
Speakers don't accept RCA, either run high level outputs from the head unit straight to the speakers, or run rcas from the head unit to the amps, and speaker wire from the amps to the speakers. I don't see where any converter is needed here. If you need to turn 4 radio rca outputs into 6 channels, just use a Y rca adapter on the front channel RCAs. I also agree those amps are trash. If you haven't ordered them, look at the Taramps 4 and 2 channels. Likely not much if any more expensive than the boss. It'll save you headache and wasted money down the line.

at this point I'm assuming some things and won't really know until I start opening things up but I'm unable to find any info on the factory amplifier outside of it being pioneer... so I don't know what input voltage levels it accepts...

Speakers don't accept RCA, either run high level outputs from the head unit straight to the speakers, or run rcas from the head unit to the amps, and speaker wire from the amps to the speakers. I don't see where any converter is needed here. If you need to turn 4 radio rca outputs into 6 channels, just use a Y rca adapter on the front channel RCAs. I also agree those amps are trash. If you haven't ordered them, look at the Taramps 4 and 2 channels. Likely not much if any more expensive than the boss. It'll save you headache and wasted money down the line.
i have 4-channel coming from the head unit... i need 6-channel... that is why I picked up a converter for the new amps...

i did look at Taramps but felt they put out too much power for the speakers.. i could also replace the speakers though...

there are all sorts of things out there I don't know about... but I don't think this thing is able to distinguish frequencies...
You are correct, so you aren't running passive crossovers, or a dsp? Also, don't worry about overpowering the speakers. More power than needed is always nice, just leave the gains down

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...