Can't reach desired voltage on amp

monei13

CarAudio.com Newbie
Norway
So I newly bought an Stetsom Vulcan 3000 2 Ohm, that is 3000w @ 2 ohm.
My head unit is: Sony DSX-A510BD
and my two subwoofers is: Edge EDP122SPL-E6 12" - wich are 1500W each, and dual 2 ohm (connected in an 2 ohm series).
My car is an volvo s60 2004, with stock altenator (should be 120-150 ampere), and I have an newly bough 100ah battery with my stock 80 ish ah battery.
My car when started has about 14.4 - 14.6voltage, and with high sound it goes to 13.9V - 14.3V ish, Ive never seen the "12V" number.

So I were going to install the amplefier, and set the gain/level with an multimetre. I played an 40Hz test tone, head unit on 37 volume. I calculated that i had an 3000W total system at 2 ohm, and therefore needed 77.46volt (Squareroot of (1500+1500)* 2 ). But when I turn the gain I can't reach more than about 44 volt (Vac), to reach desired 77 volts i have to use the bass boost on the amp, and then I feel like i'mn clipping on some songs (maybe because when i use it, some fq becomes 80++ volts).

My speakers are disconnected when doing this, but yeah, someone know what i'm doing wrong?

You bought a shitty over rated amp....no way it can do 3000 rms LOL .....thats your problem
There is many reviews of it working just fine online, pluss I bought it as an "bass package" in an respected norwegian store that specialize in car audio.

Rather than commenting someting that is'nt useful, give helpful advice.

Our product's manual recommends a 150A fuse for this product. Here is the manual technical specifications to better assist you:
"POSITIVE POWER SUPLY CONNECTOR: Connect to the positive battery
terminal through a minimum 4 AWG cable with a fuse/circuit breaker
(150A) as close to the battery as possible." see less
By STETSOM SELLER on August 20, 2021

no way it is putting out 3000+ rms!!! LOL :LOL: they would recommend alot bigger than 150A fuse if it was doing the power they claim

Last edited:
Our product's manual recommends a 150A fuse for this product. Here is the manual technical specifications to better assist you:
"POSITIVE POWER SUPLY CONNECTOR: Connect to the positive battery
terminal through a minimum 4 AWG cable with a fuse/circuit breaker
(150A) as close to the battery as possible." see less
By STETSOM SELLER on August 20, 2021

no way it is putting out 3000+ rms!!! LOL :LOL: they would recommend alot bigger than 150A fuse if it was doing the power they claim

When there is BASS Consumption, it says that 300A is required. There is also videoes where they test the amp and it shows correct performance. So i'm not getting your point, once again.

So you do get to 77+v. If gain knob has to be fully opened, then your signal may be what is lacking. Are Stetsom 1 RCA input amps, like the Taramps? I also think a 150a alternator is not enough to keep that kind of power going. Have you done the Big3 upgrade?

No i've not done any upgrade, other than adding another battery. Since i'm not getting an big voltage drop i figured its good enough.

// And no, lets say i turn gain 3/4 of the way, ill get around 40-50v, then ill have to use bass bost knop to reach 77volt (not far, if i turn bass gain max ill reach 110volt ish - and thats probaly because i get 14.5 volt + and the amp should give me 3900w with such voltage).

Last edited:
There is many reviews of it working just fine online, pluss I bought it as an "bass package" in an respected norwegian store that specialize in car audio.

Rather than commenting someting that is'nt useful, give helpful advice.
Don't feed the trolls.
Stetsom has a video of these making 4000W "peak/burst" on the dyno, and while that's probably unrealistic to see in your car it should be able to make rated power.

That said, you should be setting gains with the amp loaded (subs connected). You may want to use a Y splitter to get signal to both RCA inputs in your amp, and default sub level setting on that head unit might be attenuated so you can experiment with that.

IF things sound distorted at any point here you have reached the limits of something so don't push that for too long. Also I do not think that just 1 extra battery + stock alternator is going to be adequate to really feed 3000W amp. Try to read your system voltage when you are actually playing music hard.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...