05 F350 Build log (some fiberglass work, computer, and system) Many pictures!!

Yeah dude, that thing looks great. The only way to make the thing better would be to get rid of that stupid blue oval that's all over the background. Must be the stock computer crap. LOL. Just kidding man. Great work, as always.

Yeah dude, that thing looks great. The only way to make the thing better would be to get rid of that stupid blue oval that's all over the background. Must be the stock computer crap. LOL. Just kidding man. Great work, as always.
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif the blue oval adds HP and DB'z //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif the blue oval adds HP and DB'z //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
Oh no there are two of you in here. I might have to find myself a new forum. LOL.

Thanks guys!! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif It's great to get another thing marked off on my list of things. Plus its fun to play with.

Sorry no can do on removing that Blue oval, I think its burned into the LCD already //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif Maybe I will take a picture just for ya showing the Ram on there. I just hope it doesn't release all my DB'z from my speakers and the Ohms in my woofers, would hate to have to go out and buy more DB'z to refill it, I hear DB'z is more per gallon than diesel //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif

Oh no there are two of you in here. I might have to find myself a new forum. LOL.
Here ya go, maybe try this place HERE

what if you put the keyboard and touch pad on a motorized actuator that motorized out towards you //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

If you are interested in car PC's check out the MP3car.com forums....
They have a lot of good info about mobo's, power supplies, etc.

Jay
Yea thats where I did most of my learning and reading. Only got a couple of posts over there (same sn as here) though and no pictures of the install. I need to start doing a lot more reading and asking over there soon though so I can setup the wireless network and few other gadgets on it.

My install wouldn't be nearly complete if it weren't for the front end software info and power supply info I got off those forums. Road Runner is some pretty sweet stuff and operates very smoothly.

what if you put the keyboard and touch pad on a motorized actuator that motorized out towards you //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
That would be pretty crazy but I dunno if I am that good to pull off something like that. Hoping to have them both flip out on a small panel from my center console. Thinking about having just the touch pad flush mounted into the dash too so if I wanted I could change tracks or what not without even having to reach for the dash or even move my arm really.

Yea thats where I did most of my learning and reading. Only got a couple of posts over there (same sn as here) though and no pictures of the install. I need to start doing a lot more reading and asking over there soon though so I can setup the wireless network and few other gadgets on it.
My install wouldn't be nearly complete if it weren't for the front end software info and power supply info I got off those forums. Road Runner is some pretty sweet stuff and operates very smoothly.

That would be pretty crazy but I dunno if I am that good to pull off something like that. Hoping to have them both flip out on a small panel from my center console. Thinking about having just the touch pad flush mounted into the dash too so if I wanted I could change tracks or what not without even having to reach for the dash or even move my arm really.
what about a folding actuator for ease of use ...... idk just push the button and whammmm she folds on out //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

what about a folding actuator for ease of use ...... idk just push the button and whammmm she folds on out //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
I might have to do some research on this and see what I could come up with. I'm sure it could be implimented just another thing for me to try and learn how to build lol.

Have you gotten the Polks up and running yet? Always wanted to read a good review on them?
Yes the polks have been installed for a while now. Much of the problem with me writing a review on them is having never owned or getting a really good listen to some other components. I honestly can't find a single thing wrong with them that is for sure. However my doors aren't deadened yet so I don't know the full extent to which they can play. Also one of the crossovers had a bad tweeter network in it, so I have been running them active since I got them. Maybe when I get the doors deadened

They do seem to have a pretty good kick to them currently with the hack install however not as much as some other setups I have heard. Most certainly wouldn't call them harsh at all and very easy to listen to. I can have them cranked for hours and never have my ears feel anything but love for them. Most certainly great build quality, woofers are nice and heavy and look great, they also have nice screw terminals instead of the simple spade ends. The tweeters seem to need to be on axis to get the upper most frequencies. Polk recommends when running active for them to be crossed no lower than 3.2khz at 18db slope and they sound great crossed there, and the mids seem to play down to 50hz without any problems. 100w or so does seem to be what they will handle when active, I have had a few occasions of smelling something from them after running them for a few minutes at higher than loud volumes. Crossovers are definitely quite large, and heavy too with the heat sink they are on. Wish I had a chance to really listen to them run passive so I could compare them to active especially since these crossovers seemed to be very well built.

Guess thats at least a mini review for ya at least of what I feel about them. Can't think of anything they are missing and they most certainly have no faults that I have found so far.

I'm pretty impressed with all the work you've done so far, since it's your first time. You did quite a nice job its almost hard to believe.
Very nice man, very nice.
Thanks man //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif Did a lot of research while saving my money and getting ideas from others on here and such.

One day I may try and tackle the doors to get some 8's in there, got quite a few ideas from looking through your thread and your build up of the doors.

Guess a slight update. No major tangible progress but a few things have happened.

First off, Mags should be at my doorstep this coming Wednesday (according to UPS tracking numbers so its totally legit) //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/woot.gif.aaa6090e619a97b6090d16dd863c5a69.gif

Also I had some good tuning done by someone who actually knows what they are doing lol. He spent 2 hours listening and tuning and teaching, was VERY useful and hopefully it will help me on the path to understanding what I am listening too and who knows MAYBE some day competing in some IASCA or similar comps.

With a good boost around 63hz the SR6500's really come to life //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif Even in the undeadened doors there is a great deal of midbass. The sound is leaps and bounds over what I had before, I fiddled with time alignment but never really got into equilizing the whole system. This is also where we found a MAJOR downside to the 9887, the 5 band PEQ is pretty stupidly limited. Either way I am loving the components even more so now and can't wait to get the system rouneded out with the subs and at least then have a "complete" system and can focus on the install and then thinking about upgrading/adding gear.

Wouldn't be a good update if I didn't have any pictures. So here is what I got.

Got the Center console pulled from the truck to gut it and take measurements and see what I really have to work with.

DSC01937.jpg

Currently, I am looking at simply removing the lower cushion and just replacing it with a sub box and maintaining the upper console portion. Would be sweet to add a sub and maintain full use of this as a middle seat but I don't really see that happening.

DSC01938.jpg

Great part of trucks, Built in workbench //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

DSC01942.jpg

Back together minus the lower cushion.

DSC01944.jpg

So not looking like I have much room to keep this simple. The rails bolt to the lower metal pan as well as the arms to the upper console, which isn't what I was hoping. To ditch the lower pan and make a nice downfiring box I will either need to cut the pan, or attach the rails to the box and the upper console to the box and replace the pan. OR build the box, attach the console to the box and then figure out a way to bolt the entire assembly to the floor of the truck.

From what I can tell I have about 2.15ft^3 for the entire enclosure, not interior volume but the volume the enclosure can occupy. I really want to do a downfiring box since it will allow the sub to load off the floor, plus I want to direct it towards the front of the truck. I plan on building at the very least 3 boxes. One will hold both subs without much regard to overall size of the box but just to get both subs in the truck. Another will be more of a stealth minimal build for a single sub and see if I can maybe get something that will completely allow use of the center seat. The third is something I stumbled on a little while ago and still learning about.

This is a quick sketch I did for the 3rd design.

isobaricbox.jpg

For most this is probably not a new concept, but for me it is. I read about 4 pages of discussion on why this style box was used in a Dodge ram for a pair of JBL WGTi 10's. These subs also required 1ft^3 as the mags do. This design is a planar loading isobaric box (at least as I read it.) This will allow me to cut in half the required sealed volume for the single sub and the second sub will essentially be free air. This allows for the output to be directed towards the front of the truck as well as be downfiring and make for a fairly cool looking build with some plexi and such.

This also cuts the output to be equivalent to a single woofer though. The secon sub is wired in revers polarity of the sealed sub so that they will work in unison through the upper coupling chamber. The second sub will have sort of a shroud around it to direct the output towards the floor and then out towards the dash.

Oh well, those are my thoughts and updates. I would love to hear more ideas/thoughts/criticism on the box design and what not. I am thinking of sealing the output from the rear and sides of the console and forcing all output to head towards the front instead of just general downfiring in all directions. These are all thoughts and stuff I will have to experiment with or hopefully maybe get some direction from people who have more knowledge than me.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.