05 F350 Build log (some fiberglass work, computer, and system) Many pictures!!

I hear you on "things coming up." I am always busy with either work or watching the little one. I don't get much time to myself at decent hour of the day anyway.
I wish I could have gotten 1 or 2 of the mags, but money is an issue with me, although I have plenty of it, saving for a house has made me broke unless an emergency comes up. I tried telling my wife going bassless was an emergency, but she wouldn't have it! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Can't wait for the pics mang!
Always stuff last minute it seems, and can't be out there at like 10pm running the sander or saw, or trying to run wires with a flash light lol.

I am trying to get the the house thing, hoping to get this out of my system before 2009, least thats what I am telling myself. Gonna buckle down on paying off the truck and saving and depending on market and what I can find hopefully be in a house in about 2 years or so, if things go well and such.

Being bassless is most certainly an emergency for sure lol. Hard to function without it.

Maybe someone getting a mag just to try will put it up on here after a month of use and ya can snag it up for cheap.

Thanks for the response bro.

I was thinking, and even my new PC (C2D 2.66GHz + 2GB of RAM with nothing on it) takes about a minute to start-up... and an average drive is no longer than 10 minutes. So that's 10% of the time for start-up. I was thinking of running an alternate battery and keeping the PC on stand-by mode. I haven't done the math or any sort of calculations... just an idea I'm throwing around.

Have a wire coming from the 'Run' switch on my ignition that opens/closes a relay that puts it in / out of series with my main battery/alt. So it can charge when my car is on, but won't kill my main battery if it's off.

I'm not really sure how much power an average PC uses on Stand-by.

The odds of me actually doing this is low.

My current fiscal policy (which is tight as it is) is going for a MIDI Keyboard and 'visiting my girlfriend in College' Fund. 3 hour drive each way is a *****... but worth it.

Anyway, I was just curious if it was possible. If it is, you might want to look into it... especially if you're thinking of putting in a second batt for your subs.

Yea a lot of the guys who have done carPC's do something similar, well I believe they set their computers to go into Hibernation I think. I'm not sure all the details but it uses a bit less power than stand by or something. But the mobo has to support it. I do like your second battery idea, I am going to have to look into do that stuff down the road. For now I just wanna get the basics installed and work on fine tuning it, for things such as that. I hear ya on the budget thing I just wanna get this stuff done and then I know I will be cut off from spending for quite a while, no gf helps on having truck money lol.

Progress on the sail panels, I worked from when I got home at 6:30 till little after 10:30 last night sanding and finishing these. Not sure so much on how the texture came out but I guess its all a learning process.

My little work station. Yes still using the cheap crappy bondo brand filler, but I had some left over and gonna use it up before I step up to the Rage gold.

DSC01766.jpg

DSC01767.jpg

Holding up a stock panel that I snagged out of my dads truck for comparison. This is the same panel that is on the left in the pic.

DSC01768.jpg

closer shot for comparison. Texture certainly isn't the greatest, not sure how to replicate the leather grain with the SEM texture spray but I am still learning, and if I am not holding up a factor one I don't think anyone will be able to tell.

DSC01769.jpg

Tonight I will get them cut open for the tweeters and wires and get them installed in the truck.

Teaser pic on the screen progress.

DSC01765.jpg

attempting to figure out how I want to mount it all and keep the cables happy and things installed properly. I just found my old dash kit collecting dust at the bottom of a box of install stuff. Going to try using it and a bit of fiberglass to make something that will hold the screen, the screen guts, the cd drive and if I have room a USB hub and mount firmly into the dash.

Got the tweeter pods finished and in the truck.

DSC01793.jpg

DSC01796.jpg

DSC01802.jpg

DSC01803.jpg

Spent about an hour and a half listening and fiddling with settings on the HU to tune things. Its sounding pretty good I think, certainly going to have to deaden it though as just these speakers are bringing out some vibrations and I'm sure that will just get worse with the subs. Godsmack - Voodoo really brought out some of the weak points in the doors so thats gonna be the first song I play after I get it all deadened and sealed. But installing the screen and get it 100% operational will be the next step.

As always, good job man. Things are looking great in that rig. You gotta be proud of yourself for a install this intense.
Thanks man, its coming along nicely so far. Its definitely a lot of firsts for myself in getting this thing accomplished, and learning all the while.

Always stuff last minute it seems, and can't be out there at like 10pm running the sander or saw, or trying to run wires with a flash light lol.
I am trying to get the the house thing, hoping to get this out of my system before 2009, least thats what I am telling myself. Gonna buckle down on paying off the truck and saving and depending on market and what I can find hopefully be in a house in about 2 years or so, if things go well and such.

Being bassless is most certainly an emergency for sure lol. Hard to function without it.

Maybe someone getting a mag just to try will put it up on here after a month of use and ya can snag it up for cheap.
I always thought you had your own place for some reason. Maybe your younger than I thought, I never checked, but yeah saving for a house *****, because I want so many other things, lol! I do dump about 1000 bucks in rent and utilities on our apartment a month and still have money to get budget ****, but is hard some months. I really wish I had just kept the house I sold and added on for the room I needed. Oh well, you live and you learn.

I would love to snatch up a new mag for sure, rather new or used. So let me know when you are ready to sell yours, lol!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I always thought you had your own place for some reason. Maybe your younger than I thought, I never checked, but yeah saving for a house *****, because I want so many other things, lol! I do dump about 1000 bucks in rent and utilities on our apartment a month and still have money to get budget ****, but is hard some months. I really wish I had just kept the house I sold and added on for the room I needed. Oh well, you live and you learn.
I would love to snatch up a new mag for sure, rather new or used. So let me know when you are ready to sell yours, lol!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
Yea not yet, I am 23 and graduated from school last year, essentially debt free other than my truck though. Debt is one thing that just makes my blood boil lol //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/verymad.gif.3f39c5c2fd57527b671fad3efdfac756.gif So I am hoping to kill the truck loan as quick as possible or figure a way to budget it along with $1,500 or so a month for mortgage/and the other bills.

I doubt I will sell mine but I haven't even gotten them yet, I am hoping the 2 fit fairly easily between my front seats but worst case I may drop down to 1 to keep it more stealth like. I am really looking for some good bass though so who knows lol. If I do decide to sell and you don't have one by then I will be sure you get first dibs.

nice job on the amp rack / other stuff holder.
Thanks man, its currently holding a little less stuff, and will need a version 2 in the future.

hey i probably just missed it but do u have ne pics of how the mids are mounted, dont feel like searchin everything.
Naw sorry skipped over taking pics of that. I got some of test fitting I did about a year before installing them lol. But those baffles didn't work out and at the moment the mids are just mounted to the metal door //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wow.gif.23d729408e9177caa2a0ed6a2ba6588e.gif yea its on the list of things to fix. The baffles stuck out too much and the door skin wouldn't go on, so when I get the deadener I am going to make it right.

if u have a router pretty easy to make your own wooden baffel. Ive made some and sold them here before and its the only thing i will personally use to mount with from now on. Sometimes i wrap the wood in deadner too. Just thought id share that.

if u have a router pretty easy to make your own wooden baffel. Ive made some and sold them here before and its the only thing i will personally use to mount with from now on. Sometimes i wrap the wood in deadner too. Just thought id share that.
Yea I have yet to try a router for anything, seems to be the hot ticket though. I am still using the ye ole trusty jig saw. I found a couple pics of the ones I had made out of 1/2" MDF but sadly the door panels didn't seem to like them.

Only one I have with them on the door. Its about half way through the process. The door metal bumps out in the area just for the speaker which makes it a pretty tight area.

DSC01023.jpg

Finished product as I left them, after cleaning them up with the jig saw to follow the shape of the door skin

DSC01007.jpg

Test fit on the door, but with the speaker grill ring on.

DSC01581.jpg

I think next month second skin will get some of my money from some damplifer and speaker tweaker kits.

You're lucky, haha. For my car I had to make this custom speaker holder since the stock one is like a 5x10... it's some ridiculous measurement. Luckily I'm creative and my Dad had a jigsaw... a POS Jigsaw that nearly ripped my hand off... but it did it's job.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.