Blew my Sub after 1 day. Need advice.

bigfnb

Just started doing mods to my new camaro 2 days ago. Got a new Fostgate p1000 amp installed along with a 12" JL audio w6v2. I was extremely pleased with everything up until about 11am yesterday morning. I'm playing my music on the freeway when suddenly there's no more bass. It was pretty hot in downtown LA today plus i had been playing music for a good 30 minutes. I figured i'd just let the amp cool down and it would turn back on later. Unfortunately, it never came back on. So immediately I called the car audio shop that did my install. I didn't buy the sub from them because they don't carry JL. I only let them do the install because of their yelp reviews and the price they gave me on the amp and installation. I make it to the shop and the technician tells me the amp is fine but the subwoofer is blown. So I took the sub to the shop i bought it from hoping for a snappy exchange. Here's where the fun starts.

The first thing the shop keep does is smell it. He tells me it smells burnt. He then passes it to his coworkers to get their opinion. They agreed with him. He then shows me where the voice coil had actually been damaged and was beyond repair. Due to all that i couldn't get the sub exchanged because JL's warranty doesn't cover Voice coil damage. He did say he'd speak with his manager tomorrow to work something out for me but I doubt I'll get a new sub.

From the research I've done it seems that the W6v2 is a very durable sub but i know all subs have their limits. The amp i got can put out a maximum 1000 watts rms but I was assured it would be configured appropriately for my w6 which is recommended to operate at about 500 rms. I'd like to add that I did have my bass knob (the one that came with the amp) all the way up. Now here's a few things about that. I have a Nissan Maruano with a JL 500/1 amp and a 12" W3v2. My bass knob is at the maximum ALL THE TIME. As a matter of fact it stays turned up. I've had this system for about 2 years and I've never blown any subs. So I didn't see a problem with having the bass knob turned up in the camaro. I felt like i Should be able to keep it at max if I wanted to. Even with the bass knob turned all the way up, I didn't hear any distortion. It sounded perfect as a matter of fact. I'm hoping to get some advice from someone who knows more about car audio than I do. I really don't know if I should go after my installer or the JL audio dealer. The place i bought the sub from blames my installer for not configuring the amp appropriately. While the installer blames them for selling me faulty equipment. If having the bass knob up all the way was that bad of a thing, I will accept full responsibility and just buy a new sub. But like i mentioned before, I feel it should be ok for me to have it all the way up if i wanted to. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks folks.

The install place gets my vote. You should be able to turn up the bass knob all the way as it should just limit the gain. If the install shop didn't set the amp with the know at max however, or just set the gain by ear, then you were most likely clipping the amp. And this lead to blowing/burning up the subs. This is why I like to do all my own work. When I know the fault is mine. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

some amps the knob is bass boost, some its attenuation(gain). if your knob is for boost, you were probably clipping your sub very badly.

If some one installs your gear and then you damage it from clipping(which is what is expected here) it is their fault.

As for the remote on the amp..ditch it. You will only mess up more things using it. Not all of them are the same and do not work the same...best bet is to just not use one.

I would insist on the install shop replacing your sub for you though.

I don't think the remote knob for that amp is a gain knob, it's basically the bass boost. You drove the amp into clipping & fried the sub.

I don't think the remote knob for that amp is a gain knob, it's basically the bass boost. You drove the amp into clipping & fried the sub.
I still say the shop who did the install should have informed him of max head unit settings and max remote knob settings and such. If they did not, then I bet they didn't "tune" anything. Just slapped it in.

If you increase the bass boost, you should decrease the gain to compensate. This is something the installer should have discussed with you and you should have left the bass boost as the installer had installed it. The sub was clipped to death. User error. The bass boost is an equalization circuit, not a volume knob.

I still say the shop who did the install should have informed him of max head unit settings and max remote knob settings and such. If they did not, then I bet they didn't "tune" anything. Just slapped it in.
I agree, they should have explained how to use it properly.

This is kind of....

LMAO HAHAHHHAHAHHAAHHA

Seriously? ALL THE WAY UP? When do you EVER turn ANYTHING all the way up for extended periods of time and not expect it to break? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/suicide.gif.a649d21efc0d1fd4890a6428166586c1.gif

This is kind of....
LMAO HAHAHHHAHAHHAAHHA

Seriously? ALL THE WAY UP? When do you EVER turn ANYTHING all the way up for extended periods of time and not expect it to break? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/suicide.gif.a649d21efc0d1fd4890a6428166586c1.gif
Well like I said. In my Nissan I always have my bass knob at max. Before I got the camaro I played my music almost everyday. I figured it should be the same.

Well like I said. In my Nissan I always have my bass knob at max. Before I got the camaro I played my music almost everyday. I figured it should be the same.
Never put any knob on any music item at max. Ever. Remember that. Rule of thumb.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.