Overwhelmed! Can someone help me with EQ/Gain/Crossover setting please.

Participant count
  • Participant list

srpntmage

I have:

Head Unit: JVC KW-R900BT

JVC KW-R900BT CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

Component Speakers: Polk DB6501

Polk Audio db6501 6-1/2" component speaker system — also fit 6-3/4" openings at Crutchfield.com

Woofer: JL 10w3v3 2ohm

JL Audio 10W3v3-2 W3v3 Series 10" 2-ohm subwoofer at Crutchfield.com

Amp: JL XD500/3

JL Audio XD500/3 3-channel car amplifier — 75 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms + 300 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms at Crutchfield.com

I have everything installed now, but I have no idea what to do with HP/LP filters on the amp, or how to set up the gain.

I used the "ear" method to set gains temporarily. Turned down gain all the way, turn up HU 75% of the way, adjust gain until I heard distortion. Problem is, I never really heard distortion, it just got too loud to tolerate. The HU supposedly has 5v RCA outputs, the amp is 4v? I think? Gain should be low, maybe 1/4 of the way up right? I don't get it.

Also, HP/LP... The Polk components have a passive Xover, so I don't use the HP on the amp, or HU right? Just let everything through, and let the Xover do its deal? The sub, what would be a good slope in a small sealed box? 12 or 24? What xover point should I use? I heard 100 was good for that sub?

LAst, setting my EQ on the HU. Should I set it to my preference, or try to leave it flat? What about loudness?

So may questions. Please someone help a confused soul out.

maybe hard to distort you sub by underpowering it ? 300rms is minumum for those subs they will take 500rms i run 2 of mine off a 1000v2 slash and they handle it fine .. i know more peopel that know a ton more will chime in im kinda a newb to lol

I would download some test tones: 1khz for speakers and 50hz for and use a digital multimeter (you can get them at harbor freight). Check out this thread on sounddomain: http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/65167/page/1. There's a focal setup disc #2 that you can grab, might search threads to find a link..if it's dead let me know and I can re-up this weekend. As a quick solution, you can call the amp and HU manufacturer and tell them what you are trying to do. In my experience, they are great help. On the component amp, you can leave the filters turned all the way up, the comps' xover will handle the rest.

Good luck!

First, the best way for a beginner to set the gains is with a DMM. just search there are plenty of threads on the subject.

Second, the passive crossovers that were included with your components only set a crossover point between your mids and tweeters it's still a good idea to use the HP filter on your amp let the sub handle low frequencies. A good starting point would be to set the HP at 60-80Hz for the comps, and the LP at 80Hz for the sub.

Third leave the EQ flat to begin with and try to only use it to cut peaks, not boost. Don't use "Loud" or "Loudness" those settings are for systems that aren't capable of being loud, they just damage good equipment.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.