What is a SQ Sub?

^^^^ in other words, true SQ bass is not enjoyable to most of the people on this planet.
i remember mr wiggins said this once.. he was a good guy and learned lot from him. he said chances are most people wont like low distorion because it can be lifeless.. we tend to like even-order hormonics thats what gives speakers there fingerprint so to say.

truth is once you hear a real low distortion driver if you love music your going to start digging for your favorites..

low distortion and low volume levels are a thing of the past. you can have high output with low distortion. you just need a great design and great parts and the correct design so the envlosure offers low distortion.

of course your not going to get stupid loud spl levels but that isnt what high-output low distortion is about in the first place.

for example tge sundown x12. they really are ideal in about 1.75 tuned to 28 with 25 in^2 of port area. how many people use them as intended?

low distortion and low volume levels are a thing of the past. you can have high output with low distortion. you just need a great design and great parts and the correct design so the envlosure offers low distortion.of course your not going to get stupid loud spl levels but that isnt what high-output low distortion is about in the first place.

for example tge sundown x12. they really are ideal in about 1.75 tuned to 28 with 25 in^2 of port area. how many people use them as intended?
A woofer can already mask a lot of distortion.

Also something like the X will need the low end brought down to match the rest of the responce.

You can't have everything at once.

a woofer can mask distortion? a correctly designed woofer will typically have lower distortion over and tweeter and/or mid-range on the principal that the bandwidth is so limited. i don't know who told you that but its just not true.

they have so many woofers on the market that aren't designed with great sound reproduction in the first place so typically no one really know what a great sounding woofer sounds like, lol

i think your thinking of the concept that it maybe harder to HEAR some forms of distortion at lower frequencies which does have some merit simply because your approaching the humans hearing bandwidth limits but fact of the matter is that a good listener is capable of detecting 1% harmonic distortion. I'll agree odd order is alot easier to recognize than even order harmonic distortion.

honestly by the time you put the woofer in the trunk your adding coloration before you even have a chance to hear the actual signal hence i love walls //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

a woofer can mask distortion? a correctly designed woofer will typically have lower distortion over and tweeter and/or mid-range on the principal that the bandwidth is so limited. i don't know who told you that but its just not true.they have so many woofers on the market that aren't designed with great sound reproduction in the first place so typically no one really know what a great sounding woofer sounds like, lol

i think your thinking of the concept that it maybe harder to HEAR some forms of distortion at lower frequencies which does have some merit simply because your approaching the humans hearing bandwidth limits but fact of the matter is that a good listener is capable of detecting 1% harmonic distortion. I'll agree odd order is alot easier to recognize than even order harmonic distortion.

honestly by the time you put the woofer in the trunk your adding coloration before you even have a chance to hear the actual signal hence i love walls //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Lucio Proni

id like to see the measurments and theory.jl is a better souning sub but they dont use any real techniques to lower electrical parameter shifts or bl dustortion which are tge more prominate sorces. although i will say they typically have good bl curves and cms curves.

AE Speakers --- Superb Quality, Unforgettable Performance, Definitely.

they have alot of good information here.

adires old site did as well
I would like to know what industry they are leading xmax in. Tweeter industry maybe

I'm no expert but a lot of "SQ" subs sound fairly similar to me, but there are some that stand out as very different.

The Stereo Integrity BM mkIV is one that's different IMO & popular with SQ guys. I'd call it very low distortion sub. To me it almost sounds too smooth, buttery smooth. It goes very low without much effort but the downside it just doesn't sound very loud. Below about 45hz I really like the way it sounds, but above that it seemed to be lacking impact.

Another sub that sounds very different is a Pioneer's pro-audio ( been told it sounds similar to JBL Pro-audio 2226h/j). To me It just doesn't sound like a sub at all. It just sound like real instruments, kick drums, cellos, organs... Lots of impact, detail, transparency, and can cross much higher than others and sound right doing it. Plays very loud but the downside is it doesn't dig that low. Very different sound from the Dayton Audio, Image Dynamic... type subs.

Seems that most subs always involve some kind of compromise. I guess that's part of the fun, finding out what most important to you.

I'm no expert but a lot of "SQ" subs sound fairly similar to me, but there are some that stand out as very different.
The Stereo Integrity BM mkIV is one that's different IMO & popular with SQ guys. I'd call it very low distortion sub. To me it almost sounds too smooth, buttery smooth. It goes very low without much effort but the downside it just doesn't sound very loud. Below about 45hz I really like the way it sounds, but above that it seemed to be lacking impact.

Another sub that sounds very different is a Pioneer's pro-audio ( been told it sounds similar to JBL Pro-audio 2226h/j). To me It just doesn't sound like a sub at all. It just sound like real instruments, kick drums, cellos, organs... Lots of impact, detail, transparency, and can cross much higher than others and sound right doing it. Plays very loud but the downside is it doesn't dig that low. Very different sound from the Dayton Audio, Image Dynamic... type subs.

Seems that most subs always involve some kind of compromise. I guess that's part of the fun, finding out what most important to you.
I'm seriously thinking of replacing my girl's IDQ 10 with that particular pioneer. She couldn't care less about lows. I wonder when people decided that 50hz and under was the designated sub range and playing under 30hz is sound quality.... when 90% of music out there does not even drop that low. throughout all the 1980s till 2000s, people loved their 40hz to 120hz ranged subs.

I cheated and overspent on JL HO boxes. They are engineered very well to provide extremely clean rich bass. People who are in the car scenes out here have sat in my van and said they have never heard such clean sound at such loud volume. Also, it's loud but not competition loud. I like SQ a lot more than SPL but I may have felt differently 20 years ago. I'm 39 today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny you say that, I have some IDQ 10's that i need to sell.

Nice thing is that one you not only get great SQ & can play loud, but it draws less current doing it, which is nice for small stock electrical systems. Got to love the price too, crazy good bargain IMO.

Funny you say that, I have some IDQ 10's that i need to sell. Nice thing is that one you not only get great SQ & can play loud, but it draws less current doing it, which is nice for small stock electrical systems. Got to love the price too, crazy good bargain IMO.
Wouldn't happen to be v2 would they?

Do you still have the OA sub op?

That is a great everyday sub and will dig deep while still getting decent response

Just pick a decent sub and make a proper box for it

Maybe add a little eq or just try to tune on your h/u and go from there

A proper box and a little know how in tuning can go a long way to being "yeah this sounds really good to me."

Funny you say that, I have some IDQ 10's that i need to sell. Nice thing is that one you not only get great SQ & can play loud, but it draws less current doing it, which is nice for small stock electrical systems. Got to love the price too, crazy good bargain IMO.
Your PM's are full. What version is it? What voice coil config? Hows the condition? Playtime?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.