What is a SQ Sub?

EpicMango
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Colorado
What makes a sub stand out more in Sound Quality vs not? What would the difference be between a SQ sub and a "regular" sub in the same enclosure? Could I take a regular sub like a Sundown and put it in the right enclosure to bring out its SQ aspects or do some SQ subs just have specific ways that they are built and thats how they excel.

I'm trying to understand this concept a little better for my future sub stage build

It's simple but a lot of snake oil

You can use just about any sub, they are only there for ambiance and only play 2 octaves.

If you use a more daily use woofer you will be dialing it back to blend and it may need some EQ work to fix a peak. Simple stuff and it will be reliable

A designed SQ sub does not need as much or any EQ normally need much less airspace but you will never get the output levels if you really want to crank it on occasion.

some subs/designers do things to help stabilize parameter shifts, inductance shifts and lower breakup/harmonic distortion from the cone and other things.

most decent drivers sound good enough becasue alot of music in the subs bandwidth is artificial and pretty easily reproduced.

few artist/music types have real instruments in the lower octaves. most drums are between 50-70hz where are at the top in the sub-woofer bandwidth. so its really nothing overly complex 90% of the time but they do have some songs that encourage great sounding woofers. one of my favorites happens to be Phil Collins in the air tonight..

anyways i like the incriminator audio flatlyne. its nothing fancy but its a great underhung design.

acoustic elegance makes some really good sounding drivers. the use full copper shorting rings which is rare in mobile audio drivers.

CCS(sreative sound solutions) has something similar to the original XBL driver dan wiggins made. i liked my xbl driver they have there faults but boy in the correct application do they sound great..

just depends on your budget and preferences/goals.

My goal is to meld my Type R Component and 6x9 set on my 80PRS with the substage. I do listen to a lot of hip hop but I also listen to metal with double kick bass, and honestly as time passes by I'll be listening to everything so I just want a sub that will play everything well..

But my main goal is to hit the 25-30hz range very nicely. My Type R 6x9's go down to 32hz well so I wouldn't even need to worry about a subwoofer roll off at 40-45hz..

I'm just trying to figure out what is the meat of SQ..

My last system was an OA15 on 600 watts and as much fun as that was...I'm lookng more now for a sub that will fill my cabin with really accurate bass when I need it as well as thick bass when I want it..

I was looking at the SSA DCON and ID10's as well as the Sundown E10v3 in terms of subs..

My goal is to meld my Type R Component and 6x9 set on my 80PRS with the substage. I do listen to a lot of hip hop but I also listen to metal with double kick bass, and honestly as time passes by I'll be listening to everything so I just want a sub that will play everything well..
But my main goal is to hit the 25-30hz range very nicely. My Type R 6x9's go down to 32hz well so I wouldn't even need to worry about a subwoofer roll off at 40-45hz..

I'm just trying to figure out what is the meat of SQ..

My last system was an OA15 on 600 watts and as much fun as that was...I'm lookng more now for a sub that will fill my cabin with really accurate bass when I need it as well as thick bass when I want it..

I was looking at the SSA DCON and ID10's as well as the Sundown E10v3 in terms of subs..
less emphasis on the sub, more emphasis on the enclosure design, install and tune. You need to work on knowing how to make an SQ box more than trying to buy and "SQ" sub.

I'm just wondering if I took an ID10 in 1.25 cubes vs a Sundown E10v3 in 1.25 cubes vs a DCON in 1.25 cubes @ 32hz all around 400ish watts...what would I notice different between them..

Low distortion very linear woofer... Sundown Xv2 or zv4 with X spiders //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
Every woofer is low distortion and linear if it's not driven hard.

---------- Post added at 03:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 PM ----------

Go with SQ subs if you want it too Sound Good...Use SPL subs if you want it Loud ...Use regular subs if you just want a little better low end sound....
What is a SPL sub?

It's simple but a lot of snake oilYou can use just about any sub, they are only there for ambiance and only play 2 octaves.

If you use a more daily use woofer you will be dialing it back to blend and it may need some EQ work to fix a peak. Simple stuff and it will be reliable

A designed SQ sub does not need as much or any EQ normally need much less airspace but you will never get the output levels if you really want to crank it on occasion.
I'm not going to beat up on you but this is not good information.

Understood very well...been giving myself headaches trying to get my perfect box in Torres :p
You still are basically just guessing with your box design. A proper SQ box is built based on the TS parameters of the sub. Torres helps with the actual box building phase but does not show you how it will sound like in such a box. You'll need to use WinISD To model out frequency response and group delay. WinISD is used in conjunction with torres but even then it wont measure how well it will do when cabin gain takes over, but it should get you close.

You can also use bass box pro or get a design from someone else that know what they are doing. There is a lot of work in designing a flat response SQ tuned box that can provide decent output.

What i'd recommend, do a T line enclosure if you want strong top and bottom end.

Let's break it down

What makes a good SQ sub stage

Responce(getting back to zero)- a woofer designed to do it at 20mm won't have a hard time doing it at 10mm.

Up front bass- that's sub bass to mid bass transition, all in the tuning

Flat- all in pulling down the peaks, EQ

Transparent- not jumping out over everything else unless the song does it. Once again, tuning.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.