What 10's should I get

dtbingle

MI
Currently I have one ported 12" alpine type r on 600W rms in my jeep liberty. I'm not sure I'm completely happy with the SQ of it. I was looking to switch to four 10's sealed, which should fit perfectly along the back of my rear seats. So each sub would get 150W/each, with the possibility of MAYBE upgrading to 300W/each (1200W amp) in the future. I'm thinking around $300-400 budget on the subs ($75-100 a piece). I'm looking for something with a somewhat high sensitivity, (I'd say 86 db or higher).

My local car audio shop said he was impressed with these fusion pro 10" subs (the encounter or performance series I believe) and that if I bought four, they would be $50/each. The specs online look pretty good, but I'm not sure how much I trust them and I can't find much elsewhere online about them.

Other options I was looking at were the Alpine SWE-10S4 for $55/ea and on the more expensive side, JL Audio 10WXv2 for ~$90/each.

Any suggestions are appreciated! It's hard to sift through the BS reviews and youtube videos of the sub playing some bass heavy rap song.

If you can't find reviews online about them, don't get them. I'd go with the alpines, they're good little subs for the price. Hopefully someone else will chime in, there are probably better options for the price that I don't know about.

If you can't find reviews online about them, don't get them.
Listening to a sub locally and being able to rely on a local shop to take care of you for warranty purposes trumps online reviews. Fusion is a company based in New Zealand and they don't have a large presence in the US.

Listening to a sub locally and being able to rely on a local shop to take care of you for warranty purposes trumps online reviews. Fusion is a company based in New Zealand and they don't have a large presence in the US.
I suppose, but I've heard so many horror stories about shops that it's hard for me to trust them, which is why I always come to this site for advice.

OP, trumpet knows what he's talking about. Listen to him before me //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

That would make sense if theyre mostly based in new zealand. So are you familiar with the fusions enough to say how they compare to the alpine?

I suppose, but I've heard so many horror stories about shops that it's hard for me to trust them, which is why I always come to this site for advice.
I believe you, but it goes both ways with horror stories of customers as well. That's not an excuse, as I wish all people working for car audio shops took their job seriously and respected the customers. I personally look up to some of the best people in the business for inspiration.

My 2 cents about the OP's situation, you already have a very good sub. You can change the sound of it with a different box and with an equalizer. Does this shop build a good box?

Fair enough. My thoughts of four 10s was the advantage in cone area. Ive tried my type r in 2 cuft ported box with an aeroport and changed the length for tuning from 28hz to 38hz. Also tried it in a sealed. Messed around with the EQ on my head unit (16 band on pioneer 80prs), but still not sure I like it. I was also thinking 10s would have a bit more quickness and punch than boominess, but not sure how they actually compare.

Fair enough. My thoughts of four 10s was the advantage in cone area. Ive tried my type r in 2 cuft ported box with an aeroport and changed the length for tuning from 28hz to 38hz. Also tried it in a sealed. Messed around with the EQ on my head unit (16 band on pioneer 80prs), but still not sure I like it. I was also thinking 10s would have a bit more quickness and punch than boominess, but not sure how they actually compare.

Tablet was acting up not sure why it posted twice

The quickness won't really matter unless you listen to metal. You can achieve punchier/boomier sound with the correct box, don't believe that "expert" on YouTube. What kind of music do you listen to?

The quickness won't really matter unless you listen to metal. You can achieve punchier/boomier sound with the correct box, don't believe that "expert" on YouTube. What kind of music do you listen to?

Like trumpet said, the type of sound depends on the box. Also quickness won't really matter unless you listen to metal, in which case you'd wanna go sealed. What kind of music do you listen to?

Like trumpet said, the type of sound depends on the box. Also quickness won't really matter unless you listen to metal, in which case you'd wanna go sealed. What kind of music do you listen to?

It varies a lot. For normal listening, I would say alternative or country (matchbox twenty, Keith urban, John Mayer), but I also have quite a few bass/rap/dub step songs for driving to the gym or getting pumped up for hockey, etc. How would the increase in cone area affect the overall sound and bass that is felt?

Id also consider spending more on two 10s and porting those rather than 4 sealed

It varies a lot. For normal listening, I would say alternative or country (matchbox twenty, Keith urban, John Mayer), but I also have quite a few bass/rap/dub step songs for driving to the gym or getting pumped up for hockey, etc. How would the increase in cone area affect the overall sound and bass that is felt?
Id also consider spending more on two 10s and porting those rather than 4 sealed
More cone area=more air moved=louder. My 2 10's were $200 shipped to my door and trumpet gave me a great deal on a 1300w amp. I keep the gains set to about 1000-1100 watts, and my sunroof bounces and I can feel air rush past my head. I drive a jeep gc, but listen mostly to rap. Feels good to blow away all the 12 inch kickers lol

More cone area=more air moved=louder. My 2 10's were $200 shipped to my door and trumpet gave me a great deal on a 1300w amp. I keep the gains set to about 1000-1100 watts, and my sunroof bounces and I can feel air rush past my head. I drive a jeep gc, but listen mostly to rap. Feels good to blow away all the 12 inch kickers lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.