Best way to wire single 4 OHM DVC sub to a 2 channel amp?

Participant count
  • Participant list
Long story short I got a free Kicker L3 12' 4 ohm DVC sub, and a Lanzar HTG257 amplifier. I've compared multiple sites (the12volt,crutchfield,Bcea1,sonicelectronix, etc) and all give me different ways to wire this thing in lol. Should I wire it in parallel, series..what is the most healthy option for the sub/amp?
Thank guys!
Check the amp ratings to make sure you have an amp that's stable at 2 ohms bridged. If so, you will connect the + lead of one channel to the - lead of the other channel to consider it "bridged"

I've never heard of a modern amp not being 2 ohm stable. Wire the VC's in parallel for a 2 ohm load. What is the power output of that amp at 2 ohms?
It's advice like this that causes people to break their amps. Not every 2-channel amp is stable at 2ohms bridged. My Rockford P8004, for example. Now my Boston GT-2125? That is, but it took time and research to find models that could stay daily at 2 ohms and remain stable.

OP, find out your amp's ratings. You may not be able to do what you want at 2 ohms and have to wire your sub to 8 and run it bridged or just run off one of the two channels at 2 ohms. You're better off trying to unload your two-channel in favor of a monoblock that will offer more wiring options.

It's advice like this that causes people to break their amps. Not every 2-channel amp is stable at 2ohms bridged. My Rockford P8004, for example. Now my Boston GT-2125? That is, but it took time and research to find models that could stay daily at 2 ohms and remain stable.
OP, find out your amp's ratings. You may not be able to do what you want at 2 ohms and have to wire your sub to 8 and run it bridged or just run off one of the two channels at 2 ohms. You're better off trying to unload your two-channel in favor of a monoblock that will offer more wiring options.
I didn't realize it wasn't a mono amp, rarely would someone run a sub off a 2 channel amp. I guess he is using kicker, though //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I didn't realize it wasn't a mono amp, rarely would someone run a sub off a 2 channel amp. I guess he is using kicker, though //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
I have. You actually find some really efficient monster two-channel amps if you're willing to play some trial and error. If I had passed on the GT2125 because of its 600W RMS rating at 2ohms, I never would have clamped the sucker and found out it can actually do 1300W at that impedance before reaching 1% distortion.

I have. You actually find some really efficient monster two-channel amps if you're willing to play some trial and error. If I had passed on the GT2125 because of its 600W RMS rating at 2ohms, I never would have clamped the sucker and found out it can actually do 1300W at that impedance before reaching 1% distortion.
Holy waaa, no kidding... As for OP I'd drop the 2 channel amp and get a good monoblock. Easier to work with and more wiring options.

4 ohms: 500 watts x 2 chan.

2 ohms: 650 watts x 2 chan.

Bridged, 4 ohms: 2000 max watts x 1 chan.

I guess I could wire the coils in parallel (4ohms) then just run it off 1 channel(2ohm load).

I would get a mono, but for the same price I could buy another sub, and even out the load.

http://www.the12volt.com/12voltimages/2_4ohm_dvc_4ohm.gif

And yes lolkicker, but I got this sub basically free, and my old fusions are reaaaaaallly showing their age hahahaha.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.