• Participants list

ps2cho
10+ year member

LA
Hi all,

System:
JL Audio JX500/1d Amplifier
JL Audio 8in subwoofer CP108LG-W3v3
AudioControl LC2i (factory sub disconnected and wired up to Lc2i)
KnuKonceptz 8 gauge wiring kit

I find that the bass overall is very deep and it hits hard, but it goes way too "boomy" or vibrates hard on certain songs. I'm really looking for tight clean bass. Its almost like as soon as it begins to have a song that vibrates, it just goes nuts. Hard to describe...

Is this something that I should be able to make adjustments for? I like the small enclosure that the CP108LG-W3v3 affords so hopefully this is just an issue with install/wiring/settings?

Suggestions?

Hi all,

System:
JL Audio JX500/1d Amplifier
JL Audio 8in subwoofer CP108LG-W3v3
AudioControl LC2i (factory sub disconnected and wired up to Lc2i)
KnuKonceptz 8 gauge wiring kit

I find that the bass overall is very deep and it hits hard, but it goes way too "boomy" or vibrates hard on certain songs. I'm really looking for tight clean bass. Its almost like as soon as it begins to have a song that vibrates, it just goes nuts. Hard to describe...

Is this something that I should be able to make adjustments for? I like the small enclosure that the CP108LG-W3v3 affords so hopefully this is just an issue with install/wiring/settings?

Suggestions?

There could be 2 possible reasons why it sounds the way you describe.

The first would be the tuning on the box is in a range that gives you peak in output that you find unpleasant. I didn't find any posted specs from JL about box tuning with a quick search unfortunately.

The second is just a byproduct of a small sub in a small ported enclosure, they tend to roll off hard around 35hz with a peak around 40hz.

You could try sealing up the port on the enclosure and seeing if you like the sound better. The 8w3 is a pretty nice driver. You probably just don't like the sound of a prefab ported enclosure.

Matt

"Boomy" bass is typically from too small box, though you may be able to "fix" your issue by just playing around with the position/aiming of the sub in your cargo area. Try moving the box around and aiming it different directions and see how the frequency response changes for you.

"Boomy" bass is typically from too small box, though you may be able to "fix" your issue by just playing around with the position/aiming of the sub in your cargo area. Try moving the box around and aiming it different directions and see how the frequency response changes for you.
Yea, it's also in the JL prefab so it's probably on the small side and tuned "high" giving him that nasty buzzy peak in the 45ish range that people see as "banging bass". You know what I'm talking about right, lol.

Matt

So I took a look today and it does appear the bass boost was set at 5db so I turned that off, which helped a lot. Not as clean as something bigger, but I think you guys are right in that its the size of the box...but I want to balance maintaining the size of the trunk.

If I wanted to see how it sounded sealed up, whats the cleanest way to do that?

Another question as I am relooking at the amp settings - Where should my frequency cut off be set?

you can fold up a towel, and stick it in the port or fire it with the port facing down (blocking the port)

not much else you can do without screwing up the box, unless you have some huge clamps and clamp on a piece of wood, blocking the port

for amp settings, around 80hz is a good place to start

So I took a look today and it does appear the bass boost was set at 5db so I turned that off, which helped a lot. Not as clean as something bigger, but I think you guys are right in that its the size of the box...but I want to balance maintaining the size of the trunk.

If I wanted to see how it sounded sealed up, whats the cleanest way to do that?

Another question as I am relooking at the amp settings - Where should my frequency cut off be set?

Depending on the response of your car the high pass could be anywhere from 50-90hz. I run a 63hz(its 42, 54, 63, 71, or 80hz options on my HU) Cutoff with a 24db slope. Anything higher and I get a very overwhelming 80-150hz peak in my car.

Crossover settings are something you can play with. Every car is different, so what works for me probably won't work for you.

As far as sealing up the port, just roll up a towel and cram it in there as a test. Properly sealing it would mean screws, gasket, and wood.

Matt

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...