Ply mdf

LsGuy

Manila Gorilla
Ohio
Has anybody experimented with doing layered mdf joined with either resin or vs using thicker mdf? For instance, joining 3 layers of 1/4 mdf vs 3/4? Wood glue when setup properly would be stronger than mdf, and I'm wondering if it could add rigidity. And I know what when using fiberglass on mdf, the mdf will actually absorb some of the resin. So if joining layers of mdf using resin, I'm wondering if that would also add to rigidity.

I'm not attempting to save weight or use thinner material, but I'm out of 3/4 mdf and there's 2 ft of snow outside. Trying to build a temporary enclosure to mess around with my new 10", and I have tons of 1/4 inch mdf and was thinking about ways to use it as an advantage.

Has anybody experimented with doing layered mdf joined with either resin or vs using thicker mdf? For instance, joining 3 layers of 1/4 mdf vs 3/4? Wood glue when setup properly would be stronger than mdf, and I'm wondering if it could add rigidity. And I know what when using fiberglass on mdf, the mdf will actually absorb some of the resin. So if joining layers of mdf using resin, I'm wondering if that would also add to rigidity.

I'm not attempting to save weight or use thinner material, but I'm out of 3/4 mdf and there's 2 ft of snow outside. Trying to build a temporary enclosure to mess around with my new 10", and I have tons of 1/4 inch mdf and was thinking about ways to use it as an advantage.

If it's just a temporary enclosure, give it a shot. I would lay it flat on the ground when gluing the layers together and put some sort of weight on top of the third layer for some pressure while the glue dries. We used to build free standing staircases in multi-million dollar houses with multiple layers of ⅛" plywood with no deflection. I think it's possible.

For MDF I'd just use plain old wood glue between layers. Use one of those hot dog rollers to spread it around even.

Yes it should be fine. As you said.. its a Temp box. Hell it may sound and work just fine for your needs even?? Id use wood glue and screws also to help hold together and seal it up with silicone on the inside to keep from any leaks. We used Plywood back in the day for all of our enclosures and they did just fine. People still use Birch and plywood.

No use screws with the glue trust me they pull the uneven parts of the wood together

Quit bumping old dead threads.

really.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...