Speaker Buzz After Installing Amplifier

I just tried testing the grounds to my amps, which I've never done before. They were testing at 0.6 to 0.7 ohms, and I couldn't find a single piece of metal above the spare tire below 0.5 ohm. I'd look but it's a 3 person job to move the box.
That’s not a very good ground, not too bad, but ideally you’re looking for something below .5 ohms. Run a longer ground wire to a better ground, and make sure it’s bare metal and a steel, not a zinc coated bolt

I just tried testing the grounds to my amps, which I've never done before. They were testing at 0.6 to 0.7 ohms, and I couldn't find a single piece of metal above the spare tire below 0.5 ohm. I'd look but it's a 3 person job to move the box.
If it's buzzing, it probably isn't a ground loop. If it's whine, then it's probably a ground loop.

Try a solid Ground at the HU, Use 12ga or 14ga wire, you can use speaker wire too. If you have some long enough to reach the - Batt post just to test, try that out

My guess it’s a wiring issue somewhere, maybe a speaker wire touching metal somewhere, or maybe even a bad amp or bass speaker
Majority of the time, if I do not use the Plastic speaker baffles in the doors( or if the individual doesnt purchase them), I will run a couple winds of electrical tape around the speaker connections on the speaker so that the connections do not make contact with the metal if need be.

You may also be able to give Kenwood/JVC a call or send an E-mail to see if there may be a FirmWare Update that can help with this situation as well?

it buzzes slightly with rcas plugged into the amp and whines with the engine on. With rcas unplugged it's very slight static. I've taped off the ends on all the unused speaker wires
Whine is the easiest to fix - that's a ground loop. Properly ground the amp. Tie the amp's ground to the HU's ground with ~14awg wire. Ground the RCA jackets at the HU. Ground loop isolator as last resort.

The static issue can be isolated to the amp. Could be a bad amp, bad location or bad ground. Sitting over a fuel pump can often induce noise into the amp.

I assume the buzzing is orienting from the HU. Have you tried leaving the RCAs connected to the amp and disconnected from the HU.

Last edited:
Whine is the easiest to fix - that's a ground loop. Properly ground the amp. Tie the amp's ground to the HU's ground with ~14awg wire. Ground the RCA jackets at the HU. Ground loop isolator as last resort.

The static issue can be isolated to the amp. Could be a bad amp, bad location or bad ground. Sitting over a fuel pump can often induce noise into the amp.

I assume the buzzing is orienting from the HU. Have you tried leaving the RCAs connected to the amp and disconnected from the HU.
I tired grounding the stereo at the same point as the amplifier with 8 gauge wire to test it and there was no change. I've checked all several grounds and there is still no change. My amp is in the very back corner of my trunk, the only thing electrical near it is the tail light. It's sitting on carpet not touching any metal. I haven't tried leaving the rcas in the amp and unplugging from the stereo yet. Lastly, how do you ground the rca jackets?

I tired grounding the stereo at the same point as the amplifier with 8 gauge wire to test it and there was no change. I've checked all several grounds and there is still no change. My amp is in the very back corner of my trunk, the only thing electrical near it is the tail light. It's sitting on carpet not touching any metal. I haven't tried leaving the rcas in the amp and unplugging from the stereo yet. Lastly, how do you ground the rca jackets?
Wrap wire around the RCA jacket and then ground it. Is it possible that the mounting screws to the amp are touching sheet metal?
10096d1501209538-pioneer-headunit-blown-pico-fuse-fix-dsc00652.jpg

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...