•Install Help!•

Participant count
  • Participant list

matslp488

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello there… newbie to the car audio world.. I’m installing a sound system on my 06 Silverado SS stock 160amp alt and battery.. It consists of 2 kicker cwrt104 dvc, kicker cxa1200.1 amp, 4 ga wiring and I also have a Rockford p400-4 amp that I want to hook up to the door speakers… this truck has an alpine ine 960 head unit and some Memphis speakers on all 4 doors… I have already connected the kicker amp, I drilled a hole to get the ground wire directly from the chassis and everything seems to work fine.. I have wired the subs at both 4 and 1 ohm and my prob is that when I give it more volume the amp goes into protection mode… anything that I’m missing???? Thicker wiring?? Is this a good combo…??? I still haven’t wired the speaker amp yet I’m trying to figure this out first… TIA

Attachments

• ED75F0D0-0519-4A62-A58D-FA5B2A53F401.jpeg
    ED75F0D0-0519-4A62-A58D-FA5B2A53F401.jpeg
    963.5 KB · Views: 14
I'd check that all wire connections are tight.

Do you have a multimeter? Use one to confirm you have subs wired to correct ohm load.
I'd start there.

OP, don't bother trying to interpret this fool.

Not sure of your skill level, so going to start with the basics.
Are you sure those are 4 ohm coils? They make 2 and 4 ohm coils. You can check with a multimeter.

How did you set your gain on your amps?

That amp isn't exactly a good match for those subs.
600w x 1 @ 4ohm &
1200w x 1 @ 1 ohm.

If that was me. I would buy a multimeter if needed ($20 or less for a basic one that will do what you need). Verify the resistance on all 4 coils /ohms. Wire them up to 1 ohm, and use this to wire them around 400w (or a little above).

EDIT: ( 400w RMS for each sub. 800w x 1 @ 1ohm. )

On one or two numbers below max on your head unit. (It should give you a little room, which you can verify, but not all head units send out a clean signal at max volume. You may be getting distortion before your amp. That's a general method that as long as your head unit is rated higher, this will get you right where you want to be.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...