Speaker Buzz After Installing Amplifier

EmpiricalApe

CarAudio.com Regular
I just installed a factory refurbished Infinity Refrence 3004A 4-Channel Amplifier. I have the speaker connected to the amp with 14 guage ofc speaker wire, the power and grounds are 4 guage ofc. I tried to test the first speaker, and there's a constant buzzing independent of stereo volume. The Buzzing increases with amp gain. The audio sounds normal, except for the Buzzing in the background. I have brand new cruthfield RCAs, I tried just running another pair of brand new Rcas outside the car and it continued to buzz. The speaker also pops when changing certain audio settings on the stereo. My subwoofer had the same problems but was fixed by running a new rca wire. I also tried switching the speaker back to my old ones, and it also buzzed when powered by the amp. Any ideas? I'm all out...

Are you certain the amp gain is set properly to the volume highest level without distortion? If not the speakers will pop because the amp is clipping them, or the volume on the head unit is too loud and also clipping. I would also try a different ground spot as already suggested by EmpiricalApe. Test your ground with a multimeter, and don't run the rca cables along with the power and ground wires for the amp, that could cause issues also. Separate them.

Are you certain the amp gain is set properly to the volume highest level without distortion? If not the speakers will pop because the amp is clipping them, or the volume on the head unit is too loud and also clipping. I would also try a different ground spot as already suggested by EmpiricalApe. Test your ground with a multimeter, and don't run the rca cables along with the power and ground wires for the amp, that could cause issues also. Separate them.
The speaker buzzes regardless of what volume the stereo is at, also it does it with the amp gain all the way down, abut gets louder the higher it is.Ive tried using different rcas ran outside of the car away from everything and it still happens. And to test the ground, don't I need to connect one lead to the battery, and the other to the ground location. which I can't do

The speaker buzzes regardless of what volume the stereo is at, also it does it with the amp gain all the way down, abut gets louder the higher it is.Ive tried using different rcas ran outside of the car away from everything and it still happens. And to test the ground, don't I need to connect one lead to the battery, and the other to the ground location. which I can't do
Yes. Just take a length of speaker wire or something from the negative battery cable, disconnected from the battery, and touch the lead of the meter to the wire and the other lead to the grounding spot and measure the ohms.

Yes. Just take a length of speaker wire or something from the negative battery cable, disconnected from the battery, and touch the lead of the meter to the wire and the other lead to the grounding spot and measure the ohms.
I just tried swapping the ground to my trunk latch to test, and the ground for my sub amp, and there's was no change for either. Would it still be necessary to try.

I just installed a factory refurbished Infinity Refrence 3004A 4-Channel Amplifier. I have the speaker connected to the amp with 14 guage ofc speaker wire, the power and grounds are 4 guage ofc. I tried to test the first speaker, and there's a constant buzzing independent of stereo volume. The Buzzing increases with amp gain. The audio sounds normal, except for the Buzzing in the background. I have brand new cruthfield RCAs, I tried just running another pair of brand new Rcas outside the car and it continued to buzz. The speaker also pops when changing certain audio settings on the stereo. My subwoofer had the same problems but was fixed by running a new rca wire. I also tried switching the speaker back to my old ones, and it also buzzed when powered by the amp. Any ideas? I'm all out...
Sounds like inducted RF noise. Try using another source, like a phone plugged directly into the amp.

If you have outboard crossovers, try moving them. Try grounding the HU directly to the chassis. You can also try a 12v power filter on the HU. You also might want check spark plugs/wires.

I just tried testing the grounds to my amps, which I've never done before. They were testing at 0.6 to 0.7 ohms, and I couldn't find a single piece of metal above the spare tire below 0.5 ohm. I'd look but it's a 3 person job to move the box.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...