Component speakers in series?

Participant count
  • Participant list

NSTALN
10+ year member

Dismember
I was toying around with the idea of using a set of components I have to make a center channel for my home theater.

The speakers I plan to use are the Infinity Kappa Perfect 500’s with the 300m add on mid range.

This gives me (2)5.25s, (2)3.5s, and (2)tweets. I will orient the large mids outside, then the small mids, then the tweets in center.
( ) O • • O ( )

The speakers come with 3way passives and the idea is to run the (2) sets in series;

pos from amp into ‘+in’ on x-over 1, ‘-in’ of x-over 1 to ‘+in’ on x-over 2, ‘-in’ on x-over 2 to neg from amp. In theory this will present an 8ohm load to my HT amp.

Anything wrong with this idea? I didn’t find much info about running component speakers in series…but I think it would be fine.

Let me know what you think…and please don’t advise me to buy this or that…the idea is to use the speakers I already own.

Thanks!

I see nothing wrong with wiring the speakers in series but as said above the crossover may present issues. You may be able to run a pair of mids through one xover n series and the tweets on the other xover in series. I just don't know about running the xovers themselves in series.

Don't crossover points change as the impedence changes? Don't blast me for a dumb question...I don't recall for sure but for some reason it's in my head 😂

Let me know what you think…and please don’t advise me to buy this or that…the idea is to use the speakers I already own
I do not think it will work. The x-overs do not make the impedance, the speakers do. The signal will go through the filtering which will adversely affect the output on the negative x-over input. A better option would be to wire them parallel and add a 6 Ohms resistor on the positive.

Thanks for the replies!

Looks like I won’t have any issues with the crossovers.

The issue of comb filtering has been mentioned…it’s been suggested that I run either just a single tweeter or orient the (2) tweets vertically. I’ll likely just try the single tweet route.

Don't crossover points change as the impedence changes? Don't blast me for a dumb question...I don't recall for sure but for some reason it's in my head 😂

Yes, but not necessarily a big deal. Most component systems just live with the slight drift that happens as the impedance of the driver changes with varying frequency input. Keep in mind as the components in the crossover heat up, their value changes as well, so again the crossover point is drifting from that. Higher end passive crossovers will included circuitry to flatten the impedance curve of the drivers (can't remember the name of said circuit for some reason). If it's that big of a deal, then go active.

Below are 2 diagrams...each representing an option for my center channel build. Option A or Option B.

Option A is pretty straight-forward...(4) 3.5inch drivers, each pair run in series (for 8ohm load), then paralleled presenting a 4ohm load to the crossover. A single Tweeter used.

Option B utilizes (2) component sets. The crossovers are wired in series to present an 8ohm load to the amplifier. This option uses (2) 5inch drivers, (2) 3.5inch drivers, and a single tweeter and (2) XO's.

My question for Option B is: Do I leave the tweeter connection for XOB (represented by '?') disconnected or should I add a 4ohm resistor to keep the impedance happy/balanced?

Do either of these options present any issues/problems? All drivers and XO's are Infinity Kappa Perfect. This will be used for my home theater.

Pardon my crude diagram.
Thanks!

View attachment 395288
image001.png

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...