Should I keep Solo-barics or go for something different?

naztayboy
10+ year member

I drive a Cadillac CTS and I have 2 of the 8" L7 Solobarics and a Kicker ZX850.2 2 Channel Amp, I havent bought my box yet tho and now Im really second thinking the solo barics. The 8" are 450w RMS 900w each so I figure that would be plenty of amp for them. Has anybody really heard the 8" solobarics? People talk about them not sounding well for some reason, Im assuming bass not staying up or something, and I figured that small size of the 8" Would help that. I wanted to compare magnet sizes of the L7 8" and something like a 10" MTX5500 just to see where the magnet size stands, but havent been able to find that info yet. Should I use my amp for some diff subs and just sale those since they are still new or go for it? Just wish I could hear them somewhere before I decide lol.

I drive a Cadillac CTS and I have 2 of the 8" L7 Solobarics and a Kicker ZX850.2 2 Channel Amp, I havent bought my box yet tho and now Im really second thinking the solo barics. The 8" are 450w RMS 900w each so I figure that would be plenty of amp for them and it wouldnt over power them would it? Has anybody really heard the 8" solobarics? People talk about them not sounding well for some reason, Im assuming bass not staying up or something, and I figured that small size of the 8" Would help that. I wanted to compare magnet sizes of the L7 8" and something like a 10" MTX5500 just to see where the magnet size stands, but havent been able to find that info yet. Should I use my amp for some diff subs and just sale those since they are still new or go for it? Just wish I could hear them somewhere before I decide lol

The solobarics will pound nice and clean you wont be the loudest in town but if your leaing more towards quality id keep the solobarics you just have to make sure you get the right box

thats kind of how i feel about it too, see i used to have to have a short mounting depth and thats why i got the 8" L7s and now I got a cadillac trunk so I've thought maybe bigger, but dont wanna buy another amp either. lots of people compliment the solos too tho, such a hard decision

I actually liked the L78s. However, compared to other 8's they require a bit more space then others. If your worried about space limitations I suggest selling/trading them and getting an 8" that actually likes smaller enclosures.

The kickers will get loud though if properly enclosed and tuned.

Also, do not worry about the size of a subwoofer's motor. For some one in your position and lack of knowledge that will not help you in anyway.

i've got one 12" in a hatch. it's clean sounding but i'm gonna try some dd or sundown 8's. not quite loud enough for me. people on youtube are hitting over 150 with 2 8's and i only hit 146 with 2 solobaric 15's before but it was a sealed box also. if you are looking for a nice clean sound then i would stick with what you have.

L7's are not new or bad ass, unless its reverted back to like 2004 and nobody told me. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

I just find the square design to be a 'quantity not quality' mentality in designing a speaker, which is fine for some people's taste, but not mine.

I actually liked the L78s. However, compared to other 8's they require a bit more space then others. If your worried about space limitations I suggest selling/trading them and getting an 8" that actually likes smaller enclosures.
And this is one of the reasons I dislike square cones. Their manufacturers claim huge advantages of having more cone area, but the reality is you still have to build a larger enclosure, just like if you ran a larger round coned speaker. So instead of running an 8" square cone sub that has the displacement of a 10 and requires an enclosure equivalent to a 10 (speaking generally here), Id rather just buy a 10" round cone sub and avoid all the problems associated with a square cone design (added mass in the form of strengthening ridges to keep that square cone from distorting its shape under severe excursion, 'corners' on surrounds that require special attention in the form of an accordion shape, non-linear stress through the cone due to non-uniform distances from the coil/t-joint, etc).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.