AQ HDC or Sundown audio SA 12

GrindFrog
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I currently have a rockford p3 in a sealed box, crappy built, but it hits fairly decent, but not loud enough. It is powered by a power acoustik 2000 watt amp. I am probably going to get a hifonics amp, unless you have a better recomendation for the price. I really want some DDs, cant afford them, cant afford any good sundowns, so what do you recommend the SA 12, or the HDC 12?

I'd get Sundown, but AQ will handle more power and hit harder higher, while the sundown will win below 40 hz I believe is how the testing was.

well if you go with AQ, then you will have to spend a little more on your amp and electrical. if you want loudness, then both of them will do wonders. AQ's is working on thier new HDC line right now.

u will need more power for the aq but if u dont have money to upgrade the amps stick with the sundown....never heard the hdc but i did like the sdc

HDC drops down low just fine in a properly tuned and built enclosure. The SA will take less power, but the AQ will work just fine on smaller amounts of power. However, they will really shine if you can get some power to them.

apple to oranges comparo here guys,lol. a 25lb 2.5" coil vrs a 50lb 3" coil subwoofer. hmmmm.

aq will be louder if you get more power in the future but with what ya got sa would be louder and better suited..

I say AQ but wait till the new ones come out. No reason to buy something that is soon to get improved and be stuck with the V1 model.
They new HD line is a while away right now. Much more R&D to go. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I have a 2000 watt power acoustik amp (I highly doubt it actually puts that many out). My friend has a jbl 400 watt amp to two rockford p1s and it's louder than mine, not as clean though. But yeah later I will upgrade amps definately. Thanks for the feedback guys.

Indeed... the comparison is really not appropriate. If our 1k woofer line was out that would be comparable thermally but with less motor power; the Z v.2 is really more geared with the HDC line as far as motor strength goes.

The better question is - what do you want from the woofer ? And how large of an amp are you getting ?

i think you have a different issue you should deal with 1st ,if your gettin beat by a 400watt setup...what car you have ?what car your friend have?

you could do a ported box and you should be very even

but if you get another p3 and a ported box you will be drowning him out..

you also are going to need to get the same ohm sub you have to match

what ohm sub do you have . d4 or d2 what amp exactly?

and what size power and ground you running ?

youre also going to need to lears to set you gains right or have somone do it for you.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.