sa 8.keeps blowing tinsels

burro breath
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I have an sa 8 dual 4 ohm in a 1 cu ft box ported and tuned at 36 htz that has now burned out 2 recones..I am feeding it 250 Watts of clean power. The coils do not blow out but rather the tinsels burn in half right near the coil but still on the spider...I can't figure out why this keeps happening.

Wow. Only burnt one tinsel ever and that was swen in style. Never burnt a loose tinsel and I have broken a lot of woofers.

---------- Post added at 10:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 PM ----------

Also if it's in the middle of the tinsel you may be able to repair with crimp connectors.

I have an sa 8 dual 4 ohm in a 1 cu ft box ported and tuned at 36 htz that has now burned out 2 recones..I am feeding it 250 Watts of clean power. The coils do not blow out but rather the tinsels burn in half right near the coil but still on the spider...I can't figure out why this keeps happening.
do you have any pics of this, earlier today I hooked a pioneer 10" (the one with the diamond plate cone) and hooked it to my 16-mc2000d and free aired it on 1400 watts and it smoked and burned and torn but the tinsel's only rated for 150w didn't burn?

its a common on the V1's....I have 4 V1's in boxes never abused coils look brand new, heck subs are brand new, and yet all four have the tinsel leads broke at the former. My gains on my head unit as well on amp were set using an o-scope and absolutly no clipping ever...with 500watts a peice...I thought Jacob had made a V1.5 that fixed the problems but maybe not or your only getting V1 recones which will just do it again....

It is a typical failure with larger boxes than we suggest and also with clipped power on the v.1 models with flat lead wires. The open tool frames have a pretty severe spider size limit and the motor is capable of driving the woofer past where the spider is comfortable. As the spider is fabric it can stretch a bit -- the leads not so much. On any recent re-cones we used a round lead wire which slides a bit under the thread to make that much more difficult -- it's also thicker overall than the flat wire to help with the other case of clipped power.

Your problem is likely the former as you have it in a full 1 cube -- which is big enough for an SA-10 ; the ideal box is 0.5 and when that is doubled your mechanical handling is essentially cut in half. The SA-8 motor force factor is about 2x most 8s in it's class so it is much less forgiving of over-sized boxes.

For the v.2 we did away with all of these limitations with a larger spider and doubled up round lead wires (the lead wires are capable of 2000+ RMS pretty easily from an electrical stand-point).

the newer recones have completely different tinsels on them and that should fix the issue to my understanding the only difference in the recones for the 3 different versions is the v1's dont have stitching on the surround and IIRC they are shorter than the v2's

It is a typical failure with larger boxes than we suggest and also with clipped power on the v.1 models with flat lead wires. The open tool frames have a pretty severe spider size limit and the motor is capable of driving the woofer past where the spider is comfortable. As the spider is fabric it can stretch a bit -- the leads not so much. On any recent re-cones we used a round lead wire which slides a bit under the thread to make that much more difficult -- it's also thicker overall than the flat wire to help with the other case of clipped power.
Your problem is likely the former as you have it in a full 1 cube -- which is big enough for an SA-10 ; the ideal box is 0.5 and when that is doubled your mechanical handling is essentially cut in half. The SA-8 motor force factor is about 2x most 8s in it's class so it is much less forgiving of over-sized boxes.
so .5 is recommended per sub? im doin 4 in an spl application and was wondering about box specs as i have never ran 8's before. also sir i have emailed a couple of times regarding the status on my recones and i havent gotten an email back. can a brother get an update??

Average re-cone lead time is ~2 weeks -- a quick search of my inbox for "bigjeff" shows a Paypal receipt but no actual messages (as I do not see any real name information on your posts I can only search for your screen name); based on the date I'd expect them to go out this week.

If you are ONLY burping the woofer then we used 1 cube in the 60+ Hz range. If you are also playing music I'd stick to the 0.5 - 0.6 range.

Average re-cone lead time is ~2 weeks -- a quick search of my inbox for "bigjeff" shows a Paypal receipt but no actual messages (as I do not see any real name information on your posts I can only search for your screen name); based on the date I'd expect them to go out this week.
If you are ONLY burping the woofer then we used 1 cube in the 60+ Hz range. If you are also playing music I'd stick to the 0.5 - 0.6 range.
ok no problem i have been emailing debbie since in ur contact sundowm thread is says to email her for recone status. but if it goes out this week that will be fine.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.