Battery keeps draining

Foag17

CarAudio.com Newbie
Ohio
I installed my car stereo and amp powered sub per the instructions. All it does is drain my battery. The amp has 8g wire direct to battery and a remote wire connected at the head unit. What am I doing wrong? I followed the instructions but my battery keeps going dead. I guess the remote power wire is leaving the amp on all the time when the stereo is off? Any idea what to do?

I installed my car stereo and amp powered sub per the instructions. All it does is drain my battery. The amp has 8g wire direct to battery and a remote wire connected at the head unit. What am I doing wrong? I followed the instructions but my battery keeps going dead. I guess the remote power wire is leaving the amp on all the time when the stereo is off? Any idea what to do?
Keep it simple.
Does the amp have a power indicator light? If so, does it go off when you turn off the radio, or turn off the car ignition?

With remote wire connected
??????????? What is the conclusion here? Did you see the amplifier power light go Off when you turned your Radio/HU off or vehicle ignition off? Or does it still light up?
??????????? What is the conclusion here? Did you see the amplifier power light go Off when you turned your Radio/HU off or vehicle ignition off? Or does it still light up??
Ignition of power light on. Disconnected remote power wire from hu wire and ran direct to ignition powered fuse. Ignition off, light off. Hopefully the battery will be ok now. Thank you for the help, I don’t know why it stayed on when hooked to the remote power wire on hu.

With remote wire connected

Ignition of power light on. Disconnected remote power wire from hu wire and ran direct to ignition powered fuse. Ignition off, light off. Hopefully the battery will be ok now. Thank you for the help, I don’t know why it stayed on when hooked to the remote power wire on hu.
Hold up a minute.

If it stayed on when hooked up to the remote wire on the head unit, that's a problem. It means your head unit is staying on. It won't kill your battery as fast as the amp will, but it's still a draw that you need to address. There are only two things, Either:
1. The head unit was wired wrong. There is a power wire which feeds the load, and there is an accessory wire, that acts as a switch wire/power button to turn it on. If that accessory wire is instead connected to a battery/12v constant wire, or the wires were reversed it's going to cause a draw. (Which sounds like the most obvious answer). OR
2. Your head unit is wired correctly, and your vehicle is not shutting off. This could be caused by a bad door sensor. This would also cause a draw with your stereo, lights, and other accessory voltage circuits, (phone charging). This would also be a parasitic draw and would kill the battery in days or a week or so.

You're not done here, all you did was narrow it down to not being the amp. All you did was stop the symptom from the amp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...