Amp Keeps Overheating

HinkDawg

CarAudio.com Recruit
Ohio
I have an older version of the sundown saz 1500d that i have been using temporarily and it keeps overheating especially if its a hot day outside. I can get through a song maybe two at most then it shuts off. I do have it laying on my back seat so i dont think the felt under it helps out at all. First i want to know what i should put the amp on to keep it cooler for air flow wise. Second im in the process of buying a new amp around 3k watts, so besides taramps is there another amp that has a built in fan to keep it cool so it wont go into thermal protect mode constantly? The only reason i dont want to buy a taramps is because it doesnt have a bass knob and i use it religiously so i couldnt imagine not using one. I rather have one that hooks directly up to the amp rather than running an rca bass knob.

Taramps has an EQ/knob combo that does double duty as an EQ and volume control for about $50-$55 if I recall. Built in fans are designed for amps that have little, inadequate or no heat dissipation through their skin (I.e heat sinks). You’ll likely find that amps that are smaller, high output amps use fans as they don’t have the surface area that other design types have. I have a 3000 watt DS18 Hooligan and a EXL 2500.1, and both get warm but it also has large heat sinks that dissipate the heat well. Unless yo are mounting it in an area where an internal fan is amust, an internal fan should not be a consideration for your selection. IMHO, fans make noise that I don’t like. The fans on my Focal FPS 2.300RX are very quiet, but that’s not always the case on some designs. Is the amplifier getting adequate voltage? If you go with the Taramps, they are very voltage sensitive and will not be kind in turn if there isn’t a constant steady flow of voltage. Your electrical set-up information is something anyone here will need in order to give you advice on amplifier options in the 3000+ range.

Last edited:
Taramps has an EQ/knob combo that does double duty as an EQ and volume control for about $50-$55 if I recall. Built in fans are designed for amps that have little, inadequate or no heat dissipation through their skin (I.e heat sinks). You’ll likely find that amps that are smaller, high output amps use fans as they don’t have the surface area that other design types have. I have a 3000 watt DS18 Hooligan and a EXL 2500.1, and both get warm but it also has large heat sinks that dissipate the heat well. Unless yo are mounting it in an area where an internal fan is amust, an internal fan should not be a consideration for you purchase. IMHO, fans make noise that I don’t like. The fans on my Focal FPS 2.300RX are very quiet, but that’s not always the case on some designs. Is the amplifier getting adequate voltage? If you go with the Taramps, they are very voltage sensitive and will not be kind in turn if there isn’t a constant steady flow of voltage. Your electrical set-up information is something anyone here will need in order to give you advice on amplifier options in the 3000+ range.
i was looking at the exl 2500.1. i was also looking at a hooilgan but thats a chunk of change im not sure if im willing to drop just yet but it looks really nice lol

My electrical upgrades:
Big 3
270 alt
2 XS Power 5100D batteries

Subs are wired to 1 ohm:
2 12" SSA Icons 1250 watts per

Last edited:
i was looking at the exl 2500.1. i was also looking at a hooilgan but thats a chunk of change im not sure if im willing to drop just yet but it looks really nice lol

My electrical upgrades:
Big 3
270 alt
2 XS Power 5100D batteries\

Subs are wired to 1 ohm:
2 12" SSA Icons 1250 watts per
It gets hot as fck here during the summer...I like fans personally

Electrical looks great and should be great for any amplifier. If you're using SSA’s, must be dual 4ohm VC’s, right? Re-wire them to 8ohms each, run them in parallel (4ohms to the amp) then get yourself the Taramps md 8000.1. I mean they are available on eBay for $450.00+tax, shipped. You’ll be running the amp at its most efficient level (so cooler) at 4ohms and still be feeding them almost 5000 watts. No brainer in my book. there is also ds18 EXL 2500.1’s on eBay (refurbished – 3yr warranty) for $365.00. It’s going to run a bit hotter so, everything is a trade off, right? Yes, the hooligan I got, was purchased used on eBay so paid a lot less. There’s one out there right now, pretty good buy it now price decent or sit on it and bid, the guy listed it at like 4:30 am.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/285412488501?epid=16044820542&hash=item4273e8f535:g:kmwaaoswwnzkijhb&amdata=enc%3aaqaiaaaawn4pq%2bdovgciszkevohfjsr6q7c5zfdvtglr%2fswgecjhjgjjmwgc05s1tdeirkig6ueaz1gx1nth3lsseumjlpsgljlfjtqp17x0txzec5hgpykoc6r5mopjwnifebmzxl6ug%2becfpo0ilbuetc6x3aerpwjz%2bfvyc%2ffl4c23itv%2fino1ujh62v2poxihtl%2bsr1diutv3h5zjzgn1h%2fy8wikhtl%2biuf%2b7uevep8ek1rak01qb%2fnmxyaitrvbn5je7w%3d%3d%7ctkp%3abk9sr97fmf-6yg

Lots of options. I like running my amps at 2-4ohms, headroom, efficiency, damping, etc. As inexpensive as watts are these days, even for decent ones, almost no excuse not to. Those SSA’s are pretty sweet! I’m getting ready to run a couple of Focal 13” Polyglass subs (1.44 Cu. Ft, stuffed/sealed) on a EXL 2500.1, can’t wait!

You could use quad binding post that would allow you to change the load from 4 to 1 whenever you wanted, just in case you ever felt the need for 8000 watts!

Last edited:

Electrical looks great and should be great for any amplifier. If you're using SSA’s, must be dual 4ohm VC’s, right? Re-wire them to 8ohms each, run them in parallel (4ohms to the amp) then get yourself the Taramps md 8000.1. I mean they are available on eBay for $450.00+tax, shipped. You’ll be running the amp at its most efficient level (so cooler) at 4ohms and still be feeding them almost 5000 watts. No brainer in my book. there is also ds18 EXL 2500.1’s on eBay (refurbished – 3yr warranty) for $365.00. It’s going to run a bit hotter so, everything is a trade off, right? Yes, the hooligan I got, was purchased used on eBay so paid a lot less. There’s one out there right now, pretty good buy it now price decent or sit on it and bid, the guy listed it at like 4:30 am.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/285412488501?epid=16044820542&hash=item4273e8f535:g:kmwaaoswwnzkijhb&amdata=enc%3aaqaiaaaawn4pq%2bdovgciszkevohfjsr6q7c5zfdvtglr%2fswgecjhjgjjmwgc05s1tdeirkig6ueaz1gx1nth3lsseumjlpsgljlfjtqp17x0txzec5hgpykoc6r5mopjwnifebmzxl6ug%2becfpo0ilbuetc6x3aerpwjz%2bfvyc%2ffl4c23itv%2fino1ujh62v2poxihtl%2bsr1diutv3h5zjzgn1h%2fy8wikhtl%2biuf%2b7uevep8ek1rak01qb%2fnmxyaitrvbn5je7w%3d%3d%7ctkp%3abk9sr97fmf-6yg

Lots of options. I like running my amps at 2-4ohms, headroom, efficiency, damping, etc. As inexpensive as watts are these days, even for decent ones, almost no excuse not to. Those SSA’s are pretty sweet! I’m getting ready to run a couple of Focal 13” Polyglass subs (1.44 Cu. Ft, stuffed/sealed) on a EXL 2500.1, can’t wait!

You could use quad binding post that would allow you to change the load from 4 to 8 whenever you wanted, just in case you ever felt the need for 8000 watts!
i thought the lower the ohm the better because it gets more power to the sub. am i wrong on that?

You could use quad binding post that would allow you to change the load from 4 to 8 whenever you wanted, just in case you ever felt the need for 8000 watts!
i placed a bid thank you!

Put a second battery in your car, so you can put some good old house fans to cool off your amp.
Take out the seat if you need extra air flow. If that still overheats, take out the windshield and get a nice breeze going.

i thought the lower the ohm the better because it gets more power to the sub. am i wrong on that?
Actually, it’s all relative. I prefer to run my equipment easy, 2-4 (1/4 to half rated power output) and buy amps that accommodate that. I'm not trying to extract every last drop of juice. Years ago, especially in competition applications, companies like Orion made some HCCA’s rated at 100 watts that when pushed to .5ohms, you could extract like 1000watts with the right voltage. They won MANY contest like that, RF too, used to see spec sheets on old RF power units that were 30-40% higher than rated power. So, not a good or bad difference, just design and application difference. What I considered in you r case was getting ample power without burning up the place, an amp like the 8000.1 would allow you to run at 4ohms fairly comfortably. The key is knowing what you have, how it works and working within those parameters. It’s math really, just math. 4000 watts at 4 ohms is the same as 4000 watts at 1ohm as far as the speakers are concerned, different amps will deliver that differently depending on their design and this is where the system desinger (the owner) comes in. Different goals, different approaches.. There are other factors such as efficiency and damping that come into play, not so much with the amps we’re talking about.

You might take a look at PRV if you can find one in stock. Those are fairly decent amps. I should have kept mine when I had one similar to this one from P.Express. I ran it for about 4 months no issues on a pair of xfl 12s. genius I believe is a rebadge of taramps? I could be wrong but worth taking a look at. I was considering trying one out and later picking up a 4 ch to match

Amazon product ASIN B07BWX16QHI have one of these that I have not installed yet, but only test benched on a pair of XFL 10s in 4.0@32htz and it sounded very dammned nice!!! I havent made my mind up on a decent temp set up, but I have a couple 2-3ks to play with. This amp is very nice to look at and very sleek. has some power to it. great amp just on benching it alone.n id like to find the time to get it in and run it for a bit

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...