Alternator keeps going out

wayloneva

CarAudio.com Newbie
utah
My truck keeps dying even after installing a new battery and alternator. The new alternator only lasted about 2 weeks I only have an 800w amp should I get a higher output alternator or is there something else that could be causing the problem

What is the vehicle? I know on the older GM and Chevy pickups, they had two sizes of alternators. The smaller case alt was the factory 105 amp. The larger case alt was 130, (and so was everything else unless someone made a custom from the small case). The larger case alt moved the pulley and needed a 3/4" longer belt. The shorter belt was able to be installed and ran, but put a lot more pressure on the belt and would lead to hard starting and premature failure of the alt.

When you say dying: is it running and not starting? Is it running and the voltage is dropping, is it dying all of a sudden as if you hit a bump and it dies? Try to give as much detail as you can.

My truck keeps dying even after installing a new battery and alternator. The new alternator only lasted about 2 weeks I only have an 800w amp should I get a higher output alternator or is there something else that could be causing the problem

This reminds me of a problem I once seen..

Dude put a system in his truck and wired the amp remote wires to constant power so the amps never shut off..
overnight it would drain the battery which made his alternator have to a lot harder and fried it in short time..

So dude gets new battery and new alternator and starts the cycle over again..

Alternators don't like charging dead batteries.

If it is your alternator, it won't charge your battery, and your battery will slowly drain voltage until dead. You would see it slowly happening. I have known right when mine went bad before it lasted about an hour before it drained dead. Starting it would have taken a lot out of it. I doubt it could have been bad and happened to go bad in two weeks. (Your battery wouldn't last two weeks if it was bad right away.).

I see you're still coming back, but no response. Ok, we've asked questions because it might be something common that we know where your best shot is, but okay if not. Good luck.

You are an idiot. Why are you even here? I see now I'm getting thumbs down out of spite from you too... Seriously, you shouldn't be trying to give advice to two year old about how to tie shoes.
The shoe is on the other foot? How do you like getting criticized by an idiot? I love the dislike war you started with this guy!

The shoe is on the other foot? How do you like getting criticized by an idiot? I love the dislike war you started with this guy!
Wow that's petty of you. You're still being a child and a prick. They are going to have someone waste money, damage something, or get someone hurt. Life is hard enough as it is, without some jackass spending energy to make it worse for someone else. Have your fun if that's what you call it, but I'm just trying to help people. I'm sure I've said something stupid before, but I don't say 98% ridiculously stupid.

A mature person would not want the nonsense to continue, and would make an effort to help those who don't know, not make an effort to egg on the ********.

This is also you:
Let trolls be trolls. The only way advice can be harmful is if someone follows it. DIY comes with risk. If someone doesn't have enough knowledge to know the basic safety risks of a project and follows the first post they see, then that's on them.
"screw em, it's their fault for asking a question and expecting to get a real answer".

Dudes advice is such nonsense and gibberish I don't know what advice he offers to follow really..

If a guy is so green he can't figure out how to wire his subs, how is said guy gonna make sense out of the gibberish and actually follow through with what dude is saying..

98% of his post have nothing to do with the actual question that is asked..

Wow that's petty of you. You're still being a child and a prick. They are going to have someone waste money, damage something, or get someone hurt. Life is hard enough as it is, without some jackass spending energy to make it worse for someone else. Have your fun if that's what you call it, but I'm just trying to help people. I'm sure I've said something stupid before, but I don't say 98% ridiculously stupid.

A mature person would not want the nonsense to continue, and would make an effort to help those who don't know, not make an effort to egg on the ********.
Haha so a petty child knows more than you? You are too easy to get worked up! Quit being so insecure. Prove a single post of mine to be incorrect. How is gain different from volume, mister parrot?
This is also you:

"screw em, it's their fault for asking a question and expecting to get a real answer".
I stand by my comments but your interpretation is incorrect. People should know enough about a topic to spot ******** before they ask a question. Improper installation is the biggest cause of damage and fires, which is why I often tell people who ask dumb questions that they should get it professionally installed.

Who's worked up? Is that what you need to tell yourself, or is that your best attempt at being a trolling 5 year old? I think you've made it to your life goal, and long ago graduated from unapologetic prick, to pathetic *******.

Haha so a petty child knows more than you? You are too easy to get worked up! Quit being so insecure. Prove a single post of mine to be incorrect. How is gain different from volume, mister parrot?

I stand by my comments but your interpretation is incorrect. People should know enough about a topic to spot ******** before they ask a question. Improper installation is the biggest cause of damage and fires, which is why I often tell people who ask dumb questions that they should get it professionally installed.
If you weren't just making an effort to be a jackass, you SHOULD realize how incredibly stupid this comment is. You just said "people should know what's wrong about a subject, before they know anything about that subject". What is wrong with you?

It's amazing how ridiculous it is that you try and say someone else is insecure; when you aren't even here to help anyone, you're just here to try to tell people they are wrong.

Last edited:
I know at one time a few years back .. maybe 4 yrs ago, I had a 2002 Honda Hatch SI that my alt went out. I went to Orileys to pick up one, and placed the Batt on a charger(Bnew) to get it ready to install two days later during the weekend. put all in. The next morning, the car was dead as a doornail. Charged batt again, and it started up.. Then I took the alt out took it to Orileys and had it tested. it was bad.. they had one more left in stock and we tested it.., it was bad. They had another alt. located about 8 miles from me. I asked to test it before I spent my time going there and fuel cost. It was bad. After about 6 Orileys, all did not work and were bad. I went to A.Zone, and they tested one, it was no good, tried another and it was good. What a PITA that was to go through and these were supposed to be BNEW alts not referbs.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...