plywood or particle board with laminate white cover

groundcrusher

Senior VIP Member
Ok guys I build sub boxes for people where I'm from having argument with a friend who doesn't want to use mdf he wants to use plywood instead cause its cheaper but if u want to go that route I would use the particle board instead for the smooth Ness compared to plywood who is right . Now I only build with mdf yall he just don't want to go that route

Birch is cheaper than mdf? Unless your talking some other plywood. Birch is usually more expensive but alot lighter. I use birch now because of the weight uts a big difference in weight.

He's not talking birch, lol.

Normal plywood over cheap particle board, but both are terrible.

MDF or Birch plywood only. Fiberglass when space/shape is difficult.

The difficulty of working with cheap plywood or particle board will not be worth the savings..

particle board. Haven't used that stuff since high school days!!

Go ahead and use PB...so how long those subs last in that box. I've seen plenty of pics of subs "burst apart" the enclosure with that stuff, literally.

Reg plywood is meant for home useage...like flooring, siding, etc. Birch plywood is a tad more expensive yes but much lighter than MDF. MDF has either gone up in price or down, depends where you live (state). here's its around 30-40 bucks a sheet. Birch plywood varies in pricing because of the many types that fall in that category. I'd take a trip to the lumber yard or 2 and get some pricing ideas before buying anything.

Ok guys I build sub boxes for people where I'm from having argument with a friend who doesn't want to use mdf he wants to use plywood instead cause its cheaper but if u want to go that route I would use the particle board instead for the smooth Ness compared to plywood who is right . Now I only build with mdf yall he just don't want to go that route
particle board is garbage. dont use cheap grades of plywood, you can use arauco ply. Either that or convince him to use MDF. My personal preference is birch ply, no sound difference but weight and strength is way better.

particle board is garbage. Dont use cheap grades of plywood, you can use arauco ply. Either that or convince him to use mdf. My personal preference is birch ply, no sound difference but weight and strength is way better.
^x2

Yeah I don't use eat her I only use mdf but he wants what he wants bur he is talking bout the cheapest plywood from lowes Idk bout it though I've only built with mdf but the particle board I'm talking about has the white plastic film on it I have used be for just the white stuff on the inside of box and yes it is harder to work with as far as screwing you have to b really care full with that now as far as blowing subs apart using particle never heard of that or ever seen that

I figured the cheap plywood would have to much flex and start peeling in layers correct me if I'm wrong I don't know everything but pretty good at it apparently I build prob a couple boxes a month for different ppl

I figured the cheap plywood would have to much flex and start peeling in layers correct me if I'm wrong I don't know everything but pretty good at it apparently I build prob a couple boxes a month for different ppl
if you can punch a hole in the wood, then its crap. cough particle board cough...

Oh **** ok I just reread that u said that the box blew apart yes if u don't know what your doing yes I can see that happening
doesnt matter if you know what you are doing, put a real sub in a decently build particle board box, it'll demolish it real quick.

just to give you some perspective

ply wood is real wood vs mdf which is sawdust and glue

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.