Plywood layers

The only advantage to using plywood is the weight or when doing IB walls, kerf cuts for certain ports where you have to use plywood. Good quality birch ply is around $85 to $120 for a 4x8 sheet of furniture grade ply. 3/4" MDF with quality construction using braces (as would be the case with plywood too) is more than adequate and definitely cost effective at about half the price.. On another note, why that Sub? What little I could find indicate it is recommended for a sealed enclosure. Additionally, the FS on it is around 36, not very low at all. There are a lot of subs out there for that kind of money ($500 ea) that would work better. That sub is designed for competition and around 5000 watts rms, 2 up to 10000. You are going to sacrifice sound quality and efficiency to attain those kind of power handling number's. THere are a lot of very capable and worthy 12s on the market that I would get before those.

(I don;t by Russian products, but) 2 for around $719

@ of these $899

A pair of used JL Audio 12W6v3-D4's $1050

And many more that others will likely chime in on. Once you decide one way or another, check out GP for enclosures in either birch or MDF, very nice boxes and many options too. Free delivery on their glue & screw, no tax!

Really, didn't see that they were that far out. I found the driver in Bassbox 6 pro, looks like is really likes the sealed box. I could not find one site that had recommended enclosure sizes or recommendations. The 2 cube box looked to be tuned very high for a sub as well, in the mid to upper 40's. The best curve looks like Net 2.75 per sub, tuned to 33hz. Dual chambered for strength, each chamber needs to be 2.75 (net) cu ft, each chamber needs a 4" round port that is 8.5" long. That will give you the most volume and a 31-33 hz tuning. that's frigg'n big box!

GP really doesn't have a big enough box for these it would seem.

Last edited:
You did say that you were using teo, correct?

These guys do custom boxes, not sure of the prices. If you do a single chamber box (5.5 cu ft), have them tune it to 31-33hz, no lower, see what they will charge.

If you do a 5.5 (net) cu ft box, you can use a 6" port, 8.5" long for a tuning of around 33 hz.

Last edited:
So what do you recommend other than the super expensive and well used JLs? I want this to slam. Hard. I want to be able to get at least 130dB from this system. 140 preferably. The most I have ever gotten is MAYBE 120.
I would look at the American Bass Hawk series subs a Pair of DVC4 Ohm subs or even a pair of XFL Series be my 2nd Choice if you want to Slamm and look at a CT Sounds CT3200.1 with the Supply for the demand and get them tuned towards 31Htz. GP Audio has a Tuned enclosure for those. You can simply Call and speak to them opon your Goals for the enclosure and what sub you would like to use and they will recommend the enclosure and build a Glue and screw it enclosure shipped with everything Labeled with a diagram of each piece to put together. just takes a Phone call. Sometimes It takes a little patience to get what you want out of the things you need/want.
Hell.. Ive ripped out all my Chit!! and down to a couple sets of 6.5s and a 4 ch at the moment, and Itching to put a substage back in. I have all kinds of gear. just need the Time atm and weather on my side, just for a temp substage to put back in.. Patience!! Patience!! LOL

Well, I'm not an expert on SPL, always more of an SQ/SQL person. I do know physics pretty well. If you want outrageous volume, you use the subs you have, feed them 6-10000 watts in a 5.5 cu ft box, tuned to around 34-37 hz, even louder at around 63 hz. You don't get both without paying, A LOT! Everything has it;s forte and most things are mutually exclusive unless you pay a boatload of money to accomplish both. you may want to consider going to a couple of 15's too. 140db is pretty lofty for subs under a grand each, it's the dollars to watts ratio, not in your favor. Tuning is consideration also, SPL subs are often tuned inthe 60hz region too, not a great sound but it gets loud.

There are many in here that will suggest alternatives, but here are a couple:

ina 1.5 cube box tuned to 37hz

THis is also a great "loud'sh" sub:

Last edited:
Take a look at the Fi X series genuine 1,500 watts RMS and tbh they under rate their own subs, American Made PE Coils, American Steel, magnets are Chinese of course like all magnets but for the cost you can't go wrong custom built to your liking and can add a 3rd spider for SPL. Got 2 coming Sat and will be on a Cab-45 in the next month or two

Well, I'm not an expert on SPL, always more of an SQ/SQL person. I do know physics pretty well. If you want outrageous volume, you use the subs you have, feed them 6-10000 watts in a 5.5 cu ft box, tuned to around 34-37 hz, even louder at around 63 hz. You don't get both without paying, A LOT! Everything has it;s forte and most things are mutually exclusive unless you pay a boatload of money to accomplish both. you may want to consider going to a couple of 15's too. 140db is pretty lofty for subs under a grand each, it's the dollars to watts ratio, not in your favor. Tuning is consideration also, SPL subs are often tuned inthe 60hz region too, not a great sound but it gets loud.

There are many in here that will suggest alternatives, but here are a couple:

ina 1.5 cube box tuned to 37hz

THis is also a great "loud'sh" sub:

I can Most Deff Vouch for the Hawk 15s in 8.0Cuft @ approx 33 Htz on 3k. They are quite impressive for the $ spent. Im even thinking about ditching my 4-XFL 12s and buy 4- Hawk 12 and use on my last SPL Build out to be honest. I wouldnt expect any less from the 12s performance than Ive experienced with the 15s for the $. Impressed to say the Least

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...