new build...2 type argh 15s...2 hercs.

and i love your glossy finish, but in all honesty, i just don't have the patience for it...lol.

how long did the paint take you?
lol, come on, you should give it a shot. You can do it probably 5 days total.

This is what my plans are for painting my 18" BTL box...

Saturday:

7am - slop on wood filler all over the cut edges of the MDF and on all of the nail holes.

8am - sand the entire box hella smooth with 80 - 120 grit

9am - primer the entire box (white spray primer made for wood).

11am - apply 1st coat of black lacquer.

2pm - apply 2nd coat of black lacquer.

6pm apply 3rd coat of black lacquer.

let cure over night.

Sunday:

8am - apply 4th coat of black lacquer

For the rest of the day just marvel at you giant black box.

Monday:

You want to let it cure all day.

Tuesday:

You want to let it cure all day.

Wendsday:

It will be ready to get wetsanded with 2000grit, do this for 1 hour.

Buff it out with buffing compound for 20 minutes.

Polish it out with mcguires gold series wax. 20 minutes.

I wax my box like once a week for the 1st month. It was hella silky smooth by teh end of the month.

i actually think i will do it.

can you list the exact products you used? i need to make a shopping trip. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

and yes, glossy white would be GORGEOUS if it turned out right like yours, but i'm not sure how good that'd look in a dark black interior.

i actually think i will do it.
can you list the exact products you used? i need to make a shopping trip. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

and yes, glossy white would be GORGEOUS if it turned out right like yours, but i'm not sure how good that'd look in a dark black interior.
Ya I'd stick with black, it will be a good contrast with your trucks white paint.

When do you plan on doing this? If you can wait till this weekend we can do it at the same time.

When I get home from work today I'll tell you what the exact paint is that I'm using.

So far i've done only the port of my box. I used spray lacquer on my last box and spray lacquer of the port of ym new box, but I think I may buy a bucket of lacquer for the outside of the box and just brush it on. It wont look very glossy or even, but as long as you have enough coats of it on there you can wetsand it out to a great shine.

not sure...i have a lot more cutting to do, and another sheet of MDF to buy, but i think i'd be pretty accurate in saying i'll be done with assembly by the weekend.

not sure...i have a lot more cutting to do, and another sheet of MDF to buy, but i think i'd be pretty accurate in saying i'll be done with assembly by the weekend.
Cool, that will be great, that way we can compare our progress with each other and I can help you out. What's the temperature in the day where you live?

lately it's been around 50 during the day...ranging from mid 40s to low 60s though.

sunday it's gonna dip down into the 30s though, so i won't be doing much work then.

lately it's been around 50 during the day...ranging from mid 40s to low 60s though.
sunday it's gonna dip down into the 30s though, so i won't be doing much work then.
You may need another day for the box to cure then before wetsanding. My temps are 44 low 65 high.

It's best to let it cure in the sun, I've been told. I'm going to research different ways of curing paint faster right now.

Anyone know of some ways to cure paint faster?

ya...i'm gonna see where my amp situation is after this weekend, and then i'll determine how fast i want the box done, and if i have to wait anyway, i'll go ahead and take my time. if not, i think i might fleckstone it or just order some carpet.

Ya, you can allways mount the subs in the box and put it in your truck the day after you get done with the 4th coat. It's just that you need to wait a few days before you wetsand it.

* Where you mounting the amps?

ya, i'll see.

can anyone tell me how the hell to install this jasper jig correctly?

is it supposed to be in a hard plastic casing while in use? i dont see how it will work with screw heads sticking out under the cutout guide.

ya, i'll see.

is it supposed to be in a hard plastic casing while in use? i dont see how it will work with screw heads sticking out under the cutout guide.
LOL, I have no idea I'm using a string and a nail with my router tonight //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

ya, i'll see.

do you have the jig upside down.. the screws should be flush

ya, i flipped it and it fit.

but its upside down technically... the side with all the numbers, etc is down on the board. guess thats just how its supposed to be...

is it ok making a one pass cut? how many passes should i do?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.