Need Some Advice on My Setup

Participant count
  • Participant list

nictowey

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi Everyone!

I came here to see if anyone that's more knowledgeable than me could help with this issue. I am currently running 2 Alpine Type R's on a Polk Audio D1000.1 amp. I had this installed at a car stereo shop and had them tune the amp, however I have blown 2 sets of them already so 4 subs. I had the shop tune the amp twice and after the first time they blew I got a custom box built. I can't figure out why this keeps happening and currently I think the best option is to look at other equipment. I am pretty set on the sundown sa 12's for my next subs but I cannot figure out the right amp for them. I'll be upgrading my battery to an XS power battery to make sure the amp has enough power. Currently I've been seeing a lot about the JP23 amp from down4sound, but can't find much info on it and the videos I've seen have very mixed reviews. I'm looking for something that will power these subs correctly so I can finally be done with this process and have something that does not overheat and blow quickly. I look forward to reading the responses :)

Thank you

Hi Everyone!

I came here to see if anyone that's more knowledgeable than me could help with this issue. I am currently running 2 Alpine Type R's on a Polk Audio D1000.1 amp. I had this installed at a car stereo shop and had them tune the amp, however I have blown 2 sets of them already so 4 subs. I had the shop tune the amp twice and after the first time they blew I got a custom box built. I can't figure out why this keeps happening and currently I think the best option is to look at other equipment. I am pretty set on the sundown sa 12's for my next subs but I cannot figure out the right amp for them. I'll be upgrading my battery to an XS power battery to make sure the amp has enough power. Currently I've been seeing a lot about the JP23 amp from down4sound, but can't find much info on it and the videos I've seen have very mixed reviews. I'm looking for something that will power these subs correctly so I can finally be done with this process and have something that does not overheat and blow quickly. I look forward to reading the responses :)

Thank you

Either one of these. Make sure that you have a bass knob with a clipping light as well.

Screenshot_20210913-221620_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210913-221703_Chrome.jpg

Do you turn the volume of your head unit up all the way? That can introduce clipping into the frequency as well and cook your subs.
If you don't know the max, undistorded volume of your head unit, usually 3/4 is a good stopping point. Make sure your LPF on your amp isn't set too high (should be around 80 hz).
Also, you could be dropping voltage, listening to the system at high volumes. Try just changing the battery and doing the big 3 upgrade b(if you haven't already) and see if that helps.
I don't know how that stereo shop set your gains, but here's a video on how to do it yourself. It wouldn't hurt to go ahead and check their work

If you're cooking your subs, before you spend more money on new equipment, figure out why it's happening, or it's just going to happen again with more expensive items

I would pick up a CAB 22 (******* incredible value) and run it at 1 ohm for two SA-12s. You could run half ohm if you want to get a little more power after impedance rise (provided your electrical is up to the task).

As far as blowing subs. Make sure you are not clipping or smelling anything. Make sure the subs aren't experiencing over excursion. Not sure about your current amp, but the CAB 22 has a clip indicator/bass knob to help with that. Get a clamp meter as well and clamp the subs on a sine wave at tuning frequency. As @Dafaseles said, make sure your LPF and HPF are set correctly.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...