Need advice for good setup

Participant count
  • Participants list

BassHead42069

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi, I don't really have a lot of knowledge about car audio and I really want to make sure I get the proper equipment. So I'm looking for some help putting together really solid part list. I have a 2020 Hyundai Kona and my goal is to fit a custom, ported, dual 12" sub box in the back. I also want to get new speakers and tweeters for all 4 doors. I think I'm really want to get Rockford Fosgate subs, maybe the P3D4, but I'm not sure what door speakers (6-3/4") or tweeters would be best and I have no Idea how to choose the right amp(s). I'm willing to spend anywhere from 1.5-2k or more including professional installation. If you took the time to read this, first of all, thank you. And If you have any experience with buying car audio stuff then please let me know what you think would be a good option for me. Thanks again!

What are your goals and how much space do you have to sacrifice in your cargo area? Can you build your own box or know a shop who can do a custom box? Do you already own a head unit (or anything?)

id do this...

2 of these..

forget rear speakers, they usually just screw up the sound quality

What are your goals and how much space do you have to sacrifice in your cargo area? Can you build your own box or know a shop who can do a custom box? Do you already own a head unit (or anything?)

I can definitely build my own box and I don't mind sacrificing a good amount of space for the subs, even if it takes most of the cargo space. My goal is to have loud and clean bass with audio to match. The most important thing to me really is to make sure i get the best quality bass for my money. I just got a new 2020 Hyundai Kona and its got one of the newer built in head units so I bet ill have to get some sort of adapter. I don't currently own any of the things I need. Not even wiring.

id do this...

2 of these..

forget rear speakers, they usually just screw up the sound quality

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it. I'll definitely keep all of that stuff in mind.

I can definitely build my own box and I don't mind sacrificing a good amount of space for the subs, even if it takes most of the cargo space. My goal is to have loud and clean bass with audio to match. The most important thing to me really is to make sure i get the best quality bass for my money. I just got a new 2020 Hyundai Kona and its got one of the newer built in head units so I bet ill have to get some sort of adapter. I don't currently own any of the things I need. Not even wiring.
Good bass will mean building a proper box for whatever subs you buy. "a good amount of space" isn't helping. You'll need to figure out an answer in cubic feet to know if what you're planning to do will have the correct airspace. Most modern high powered subs are designed to function best in ported box. Keep that in mind when planning your install area, you do not want to crowd a port too tight to any hard surfaces.

Rockford subs are nothing special anymore. Rather overpriced all around and they don't do anything really stand out. Their higher end amps are still great but definitely not a good bang:buck ratio.

Good bass will mean building a proper box for whatever subs you buy. "a good amount of space" isn't helping. You'll need to figure out an answer in cubic feet to know if what you're planning to do will have the correct airspace. Most modern high powered subs are designed to function best in ported box. Keep that in mind when planning your install area, you do not want to crowd a port too tight to any hard surfaces.

Rockford subs are nothing special anymore. Rather overpriced all around and they don't do anything really stand out. Their higher end amps are still great but definitely not a good bang:buck ratio.

My entire trunk space is 19.2 cubic feet. I'm willing to use upwards of half of that (so up to about 9 or 10 cubic feet) or more if needed. My plan from the beginning was to do a ported box, but I'm still doing research on the best way to shape and orient it. Thanks for all of the advice. I will definitely keep all of that in mind

My entire trunk space is 19.2 cubic feet. I'm willing to use upwards of half of that (so up to about 9 or 10 cubic feet) or more if needed. My plan from the beginning was to do a ported box, but I'm still doing research on the best way to shape and orient it. Thanks for all of the advice. I will definitely keep all of that in mind
sub up, port back.
You'll want SQ oriented subs if you want quality of bass aka accurate, flatter bandwidth, better tonality etc... However most people just want bass they can feel, and fills the car and not worry too much on miniscule differences that they can pick out with their ear, then you are fine with the daily ground pounder brands. So you'll need to specify your poison before picking it.

sub up, port back.
You'll want SQ oriented subs if you want quality of bass aka accurate, flatter bandwidth, better tonality etc... However most people just want bass they can feel, and fills the car and not worry too much on miniscule differences that they can pick out with their ear, then you are fine with the daily ground pounder brands. So you'll need to specify your poison before picking it.

I definitely want my system to be oriented more towards sound quality. I want to be able to feel the bass, but I also want it to be as accurate as possible.

2020 Kona?
LkAq14.jpg

If that's what you have to work with some actual useable measurements would be extremely helpful. It looks like a pair of 15's would fit offhand to me without knowing actual measurements.
A pair of P3-12's will fit in there easy if you ask me... hell... in a similar sized car (Ford Edge) I designed a dual Sa Zv5-15 enclosure for a buddy.
gTnVjd.jpg

I think even a side firing port would work if placed properly, like this...

A pair of 12's in your space is an easy install I'd think... Jmo

Holy spacer rings
lol... It's what I ended up with for a low tune in a smallish box.

27" of 10' Aero is awfully hard to fit in a under 5.5ft3 net enclosure 18" high with all the displacements. Sux competing stock 3k but it is what it was so to speak... Sold now and I miss it everyday.

She did pretty well for what it was... I'm still a low power guy and after a break I'll start over.

lol... It's what I ended up with for a low tune in a smallish box.

27" of 10' Aero is awfully hard to fit in a under 5.5ft3 net enclosure 18" high with all the displacements. Sux competing stock 3k but it is what it was so to speak... Sold now and I miss it everyday.
View attachment 24196
She did pretty well for what it was... I'm still a low power guy and after a break I'll start over.
Get her done. I'm a big fan of whatever works. I've definitely built plenty of external port boxes

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.