Need advice for good setup

BassHead42069

CarAudio.com Newbie
Oct 30, 2020
Arizona
Hi, I don't really have a lot of knowledge about car audio and I really want to make sure I get the proper equipment. So I'm looking for some help putting together really solid part list. I have a 2020 Hyundai Kona and my goal is to fit a custom, ported, dual 12" sub box in the back. I also want to get new speakers and tweeters for all 4 doors. I think I'm really want to get Rockford Fosgate subs, maybe the P3D4, but I'm not sure what door speakers (6-3/4") or tweeters would be best and I have no Idea how to choose the right amp(s). I'm willing to spend anywhere from 1.5-2k or more including professional installation. If you took the time to read this, first of all, thank you. And If you have any experience with buying car audio stuff then please let me know what you think would be a good option for me. Thanks again!

hispls

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Sep 10, 2009
Central Maine
What are your goals and how much space do you have to sacrifice in your cargo area? Can you build your own box or know a shop who can do a custom box? Do you already own a head unit (or anything?)

nauc

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Mar 22, 2005
Home
id do this...

2 of these..

forget rear speakers, they usually just screw up the sound quality

OP
BassHead42069

BassHead42069

CarAudio.com Newbie
Oct 30, 2020
Arizona
What are your goals and how much space do you have to sacrifice in your cargo area? Can you build your own box or know a shop who can do a custom box? Do you already own a head unit (or anything?)
I can definitely build my own box and I don't mind sacrificing a good amount of space for the subs, even if it takes most of the cargo space. My goal is to have loud and clean bass with audio to match. The most important thing to me really is to make sure i get the best quality bass for my money. I just got a new 2020 Hyundai Kona and its got one of the newer built in head units so I bet ill have to get some sort of adapter. I don't currently own any of the things I need. Not even wiring.

OP
BassHead42069

BassHead42069

CarAudio.com Newbie
Oct 30, 2020
Arizona
id do this...

2 of these..

forget rear speakers, they usually just screw up the sound quality
Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it. I'll definitely keep all of that stuff in mind.

hispls

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Sep 10, 2009
Central Maine
I can definitely build my own box and I don't mind sacrificing a good amount of space for the subs, even if it takes most of the cargo space. My goal is to have loud and clean bass with audio to match. The most important thing to me really is to make sure i get the best quality bass for my money. I just got a new 2020 Hyundai Kona and its got one of the newer built in head units so I bet ill have to get some sort of adapter. I don't currently own any of the things I need. Not even wiring.
Good bass will mean building a proper box for whatever subs you buy. "a good amount of space" isn't helping. You'll need to figure out an answer in cubic feet to know if what you're planning to do will have the correct airspace. Most modern high powered subs are designed to function best in ported box. Keep that in mind when planning your install area, you do not want to crowd a port too tight to any hard surfaces.

Rockford subs are nothing special anymore. Rather overpriced all around and they don't do anything really stand out. Their higher end amps are still great but definitely not a good bang:buck ratio.

OP
BassHead42069

BassHead42069

CarAudio.com Newbie
Oct 30, 2020
Arizona
Good bass will mean building a proper box for whatever subs you buy. "a good amount of space" isn't helping. You'll need to figure out an answer in cubic feet to know if what you're planning to do will have the correct airspace. Most modern high powered subs are designed to function best in ported box. Keep that in mind when planning your install area, you do not want to crowd a port too tight to any hard surfaces.

Rockford subs are nothing special anymore. Rather overpriced all around and they don't do anything really stand out. Their higher end amps are still great but definitely not a good bang:buck ratio.
My entire trunk space is 19.2 cubic feet. I'm willing to use upwards of half of that (so up to about 9 or 10 cubic feet) or more if needed. My plan from the beginning was to do a ported box, but I'm still doing research on the best way to shape and orient it. Thanks for all of the advice. I will definitely keep all of that in mind

Jeffdachef

Gunz That Turn on Nunz
Feb 5, 2013
South Coast Metro, CA
My entire trunk space is 19.2 cubic feet. I'm willing to use upwards of half of that (so up to about 9 or 10 cubic feet) or more if needed. My plan from the beginning was to do a ported box, but I'm still doing research on the best way to shape and orient it. Thanks for all of the advice. I will definitely keep all of that in mind
sub up, port back.
You'll want SQ oriented subs if you want quality of bass aka accurate, flatter bandwidth, better tonality etc... However most people just want bass they can feel, and fills the car and not worry too much on miniscule differences that they can pick out with their ear, then you are fine with the daily ground pounder brands. So you'll need to specify your poison before picking it.

OP
BassHead42069

BassHead42069

CarAudio.com Newbie
Oct 30, 2020
Arizona
sub up, port back.
You'll want SQ oriented subs if you want quality of bass aka accurate, flatter bandwidth, better tonality etc... However most people just want bass they can feel, and fills the car and not worry too much on miniscule differences that they can pick out with their ear, then you are fine with the daily ground pounder brands. So you'll need to specify your poison before picking it.
I definitely want my system to be oriented more towards sound quality. I want to be able to feel the bass, but I also want it to be as accurate as possible.

Jeffdachef

Gunz That Turn on Nunz
Feb 5, 2013
South Coast Metro, CA
I definitely want my system to be oriented more towards sound quality. I want to be able to feel the bass, but I also want it to be as accurate as possible.
Look into a pair of dayton ho 15s or ultimax 12s. 12s will play a lot deeper but the ho require smaller enclosures.

Last edited:

hispls

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Sep 10, 2009
Central Maine
My entire trunk space is 19.2 cubic feet.
You may be limited on what you can actually fit in there if you're not building in but yeah you have plenty of options if you can get up to 8-9 cube gross. Pretty much any single 15 or pair of 12s in a proper ported box.

shredder2

CarAudio.com Elite
Nov 19, 2017
Az
2020 Kona?

If that's what you have to work with some actual useable measurements would be extremely helpful. It looks like a pair of 15's would fit offhand to me without knowing actual measurements.
A pair of P3-12's will fit in there easy if you ask me... hell... in a similar sized car (Ford Edge) I designed a dual Sa Zv5-15 enclosure for a buddy.

I think even a side firing port would work if placed properly, like this...

A pair of 12's in your space is an easy install I'd think... Jmo

Slo_Ride

Regulator
10+ year member
Oct 15, 2005
ATLANTA
Holy spacer rings

Reactions: shredder2

shredder2

CarAudio.com Elite
Nov 19, 2017
Az
Holy spacer rings
lol... It's what I ended up with for a low tune in a smallish box.

27" of 10' Aero is awfully hard to fit in a under 5.5ft3 net enclosure 18" high with all the displacements. Sux competing stock 3k but it is what it was so to speak... Sold now and I miss it everyday.

She did pretty well for what it was... I'm still a low power guy and after a break I'll start over.

Reactions: Bobbytwonames

Slo_Ride

Regulator
10+ year member
Oct 15, 2005
ATLANTA
lol... It's what I ended up with for a low tune in a smallish box.

27" of 10' Aero is awfully hard to fit in a under 5.5ft3 net enclosure 18" high with all the displacements. Sux competing stock 3k but it is what it was so to speak... Sold now and I miss it everyday.
View attachment 24196
She did pretty well for what it was... I'm still a low power guy and after a break I'll start over.
Get her done. I'm a big fan of whatever works. I've definitely built plenty of external port boxes

OP
BassHead42069

BassHead42069

CarAudio.com Newbie
Oct 30, 2020
Arizona
Ill get actual measurements soon, but I can definitely fit 2 12s in there and still have a lot of extra room. I'm not sure if it would be better for the port to fire up or back, but now I'm thinking I want to get 2 ultimax 12s and i'll make a box for them. Do y'all have any amp brands you could recommend to use with those? Also looking for some more speaker/ speaker amp recommendations. Thanks for everyone's help so far. :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Newest threads

Latest classifieds