How would you build it?

Participant count
  • Participants list
Oh totally, I don't need the xovers so I would prefer to piece a kit together. Just looking for tips on the speakers themselves. Like midbass woofer 6.5 sealed, or a 6.5 midrange. If I do 6.5 midbass, go 3.5 midrange? Etc

I got in touch with Crutchfield to help me pick out some speakers, and that proved more than useless. Instead of picking out individual speakers with me, he suggested a morel Maximo ultra 3 way set with no crossover for an active system. The set is listed at 100w rms, but doesn't list individual speaker watts. His suggestion was either a passive crossover or run 40 watts to the 6.5 and drop down from there for the other 2 speakers.

I got in touch with Crutchfield to help me pick out some speakers, and that proved more than useless. Instead of picking out individual speakers with me, he suggested a morel Maximo ultra 3 way set with no crossover for an active system. The set is listed at 100w rms, but doesn't list individual speaker watts. His suggestion was either a passive crossover or run 40 watts to the 6.5 and drop down from there for the other 2 speakers.

Did you end up getting your system yet?

Alright guys, so I need some opinions here. This will be a 3 way active setup. 2x 6.5s, 2x 3.5s, and 2x tweeters. I am looking at one of two option.

Option 1, $590. Grab the signal before my factory amp with a DSR1, and process the signal to the amps

From there run 2 of these amps

This would let me run 90 watts rms to each tweeters and each 3.5, and then bridge the second amp to run 250w rms to each 6.5. Now, I know soundstream does not get much love. However, ordering through Crutchfield gives me confidence that even if its **** I can get my money back. These amps are tiny, and I could mount them behind the glove box, and would give me more power for a little more money and sacrificing amp quality. The DSR1 would also allow me to tune my subs with a dsp as it has 8 outputs.

Option 2. $500. Run this amp

This option gives me a better quality amp, and possibly a more reliable dsp. Its cheaper, but mounting area will be more of an issue. The big thing is that it limits all of my speakers to just 75w RMS.

So. What would you recommend?

you’re right about the soundstream, but it isn’t a horrible amp actually. you could do worse for sure. I wouldn’t try to run it at a full 90 watts rms per channel personally. I’d probably match it with 75 watt rms speakers or less, and it would work decent.. That Kenwood looks intriguing to me. I have zero experience with Kenwood amps, but it looks like something I would definitely try. It seems like a decent option.

you’re right about the soundstream, but it isn’t a horrible amp actually. you could do worse for sure. I wouldn’t try to run it at a full 90 watts rms per channel personally. I’d probably match it with 75 watt rms speakers or less, and it would work decent.. That Kenwood looks intriguing to me. I have zero experience with Kenwood amps, but it looks like something I would definitely try. It seems like a decent option.

Thats kind of where I'm at, they both feel like good options. I think 75w to the 3.5s and tweeters would ultimately be fine, and that's what I would get with the Kenwood. However, this would allow me much more power for 6.5s. Even just putting 150-200w rms to each 6.5 I think would allow me to pull more out of my system vs 75 watts. But maybe not, maybe 75w is enough for the 6.5s from the Kenwood. Thats why I'm asking here, I'm really not experienced enough to know.

I’ve seen that soundstream in some other people’s cars before that I’ve built sub enclosures for, but never ran it myself. They seemed to perform OK, but I’m not sure about getting 90 watts rms from it. None of the soundstream amps I’ve seen had a DSP involved in the system either. I have zero experience with kenwood amps, but I would think kenwood would definitely be the higher quality product.

I’ve seen that soundstream in some other people’s cars before that I’ve built sub enclosures for, but never ran it myself. They seemed to perform OK, but I’m not sure about getting 90 watts rms from it. None of the soundstream amps I’ve seen had a DSP involved in the system either. I have zero experience with kenwood amps, but I would think kenwood would definitely be the higher quality product.
Oh no doubt the Kenwood is better quality. I have never ran their amps, but I've read great things about their excelon lineup. Its strictly a power concern. The mounting options on the soundstreams are a bonus as well.

Alright so update, I grabbed the speakers and the dsr1 unexpectedly. A local speaker shop gave me a great deal on the DSR1+ cable for me jeep (Under 250 for both), and a set of morel tempo ultra 3 ways. But he threw a wrench in my plan. He also has a new jeep, and says that I'll want something in the rear sound bar for extra volume when the top and doors are off. My issue though, this dsp is only 8 channels. His suggestion was to use the passive crossover for the tweeter and mid (they will be within 2 inches of eachother), run 1 dsp channel for the right mids and highs, one channel for left mids and highs, one channel for the left 6.5 and one for right 6.5.

This would leave 4 channels, in which I could either run 2 to the subs and 2 to a set of coax 6.5s in the sound bar, or splice the subs in pre dsp, and use my wavetech linkq to handle tuning the subs, running a 2 way set of comps in the sound bar.

Or, I could run full 3 way active up front, a set of coax in the sound bar, and splice the sub in and use the linkq to handle that.

Or, full 3 way up front, **** the sound bar, hope volume is enough running with no tops and doors, and dsp subs.

What would you do here?

I have a hard time believing that a 30 amp fuse is going to allow for more than 300-350 watts total maximum RMS power. I'm not sure if I'm buying those ratings at all with the soundstream. I think you'd be looking at more like 60 watts per channel or something. How do you produce 500 (250 x 2) watts with only 30 amps of fusing? 30 x 12 is 360. 30 x 14 is 420. Maybe you'll get 500w @ 16v lol. I smell something fishy.

80, but the kenwood is now out. Also after thinking on it, I'm no longer going with the soundstream. However currently I am questioning setup vs actual equipment.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.