How many wire runs and number of RMS Watts you running?

f1mclarenagr
10+ year member

4SKN
Milwaukee
Just wondering how many runs of cable you guys run from up front to the trunk/back and back up front.

I want to get an idea of how many to run so voltage drop doesn't affect when you apply a large current to a single run of 1/0 to the back (talking about 250+ amp draw).

Also if you do more than one, could you list amp draw or RMS watts you running.

As of right now , 1 run of 4 gauge hooked to zero amps , 2 runs of 14 gauge speaker wire hooked to 0 speakers and a metra wiring harness hooked to a non-existent head unit. LOL. BTW , there is no voltage drop at all , its hard to drop below 0 volts. (battery is out too :p )

2 runs of power, and 2 runs for ground 0 gauge...

right now running about 8k into one 18

will be running about 5k into 2 18s at 2 ohms and wiring down to .5 ohm for burps

ill be running 2 runs of 2/0 to the back soon. gonna be running a d9 @ 2 ohms for now. eventually ill add a few more runs and run it at 1 ohm or .5 ohms daily. 1800wrms @ 2 ohms. 5400wrms @ .5

that does of course have a battery bank in the back

Lets say I was running 260 amps through a Kolossus Fleks Kable 1/0. Would the voltage drop be significant if i had a positive run from the front to the back and a negative run from the back to the front?

Lets say I was running 260 amps through a Kolossus Fleks Kable 1/0. Would the voltage drop be significant if i had a positive run from the front to the back and a negative run from the back to the front?
1/0 will not support 260A for the length of a vehicle.

The current draw should hit the rear battery first anyway. But your recharge rate will be limited to the amount of amperage your cable allows to get to the battery effectively.

What is the amount of current a 1/0 wire can supply over 15 ft?
Depends on the cable. TRUE AWG OFC 1/0 should support ~245A. But that will decrease significantly if it is slightly overloaded and saturated by heat.

There are charts for cable ratings and derating for distance/ambient temp. Google "AWG current rating chart" , that should get you in the right direction. Then you will be using facts and not opinions from people on a forum.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.