First build ever; looking for better amp

Participant count
  • Participant list
I'll probably be hated on for this post because Reddit already lost their ******* about my setup, but hopefully you guys will hate a little less. This is my first build ever, and I was pretty low on cash when I bought my first vehicle. I'll give a little run up on my setup:

Sub: Cerwin-Vega V122D

Amp: Pioneer GM A5602 (I know I know)

HU: JVC KD-R850BT

Box: vented 1.5 cubic feet

Now this system bumps hard, and I love it. I just want to know if this is a good combo before I upgrade other things on my vehicle with the remainder of cash I've got. I have the amp bridged to my sub and it's getting what the amp is claiming to push @ 4ohm (450 I think). I do have a few questions though. Am I overpowering my sub? Is their a better mono amp I can buy under or around $200? I don't really like this amp because it gets so hot I smell plastic or PCB.

This is my first post, and I think I understood all the rules correctly, but if I didn't please enlighten me. Thanks guys. Nice forum you got here.

tl;dr better amp for the sub I have than this Pioneer.

My vehicle is a Ford Ranger 2010 extended cab

hi there. you shouldn't feel like you're going to be flamed for asking questions. we've all started somewhere, and it was modest when we paid for it ourselves.

Class AB amps will run hot. Best to use that amp on speakers and get a monoblock amp. A Massive Audio N2 would be a nice amp for that sub. Having more power than you need is preferred so the amp isn't running at max output all of the time.

---------- Post added at 07:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 AM ----------

Massive Audio N2 800W Mono Block Amp 623169630392 | eBay

it's not that expensive new, but even better used.

I'm curious to know what the members of reddit said about the setup, and the setups of the members that had something to say about.

I agree with kha, put that pioneer on a nice set of 6.5 components up front, and get a mono block for that sub. And you would have a good first system. Nothing wrong with what you are using. But I would think about doing a couple simple electrical upgrades now also. A good agm battery and the "BIG 3" as everybody calls it these days ...

And learn how to set gains properly.

I posted my setup on one of their subreddits (I think CarAV). I got posts like, "I would put cerwin vega on the same level as boss and pyle." and "he bought the cheapest stuff you can buy." The guy wouldn't reply when a few users asked him what he had.

hi there. you shouldn't feel like you're going to be flamed for asking questions. we've all started somewhere, and it was modest when we paid for it ourselves.
Class AB amps will run hot. Best to use that amp on speakers and get a monoblock amp. A Massive Audio N2 would be a nice amp for that sub. Having more power than you need is preferred so the amp isn't running at max output all of the time.

---------- Post added at 07:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 AM ----------

Massive Audio N2 800W Mono Block Amp 623169630392 | eBay

it's not that expensive new, but even better used.
Awesome, I'll put that in my cart as soon as I get home. I appreciate the answer too. If everything is set up properly can my sub handle that amp? I'll also keep the GM A5602 for components.

EDIT: also should I wire this amp to one ohm when it arrives or...?

Last edited by a moderator:
the Massive N2 is 1 ohm stable and you can wire for 1 ohm. You want more power available than needed, so any sub can be wired to any amp (with proper impedance matching). just adjust gains down a bit.

the Massive N2 is 1 ohm stable and you can wire for 1 ohm. You want more power available than needed, so any sub can be wired to any amp (with proper impedance matching). just adjust gains down a bit.
Thanks for not flaming my current setup, and I will most certainly post pics of the setup when I get that amp. I appreciate all the help.

Awesome, I'll put that in my cart as soon as I get home. I appreciate the answer too. If everything is set up properly can my sub handle that amp? I'll also keep the GM A5602 for components.
EDIT: also should I wire this amp to one ohm when it arrives or...?
You dont ever go by max power ratings, you look at continuous power which is rms ratings. As of now your sub are being very underpowered with the pioneer amp. You would want a legit monoblock with a subsonic filter since you have a ported enclosure.

You dont ever go by max power ratings, you look at continuous power which is rms ratings. As of now your sub are being very underpowered with the pioneer amp. You would want a legit monoblock with a subsonic filter since you have a ported enclosure.
Really? I was wondering the same thing. How are you sure though?

EDIT: How are you sure it's underpowered?

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.