Burnt CD's that won't play. Any ideas why?

Participant count
  • Participant list

dsw1204

CarAudio.com Elite
I have a rather interesting issue with my setup. I have burnt CD's in the past (with an older computer) and they played on my car system with no problems. Got a new computer and burnt a couple other CD's and they won't play.

My setup is an Eclipse 55040 head unit, Alpine 3527s 4-channel amp, Eclipse 6x9's in rear deck, with Kappas in the doors. When I try to play the newly burnt CD's, they won't play with the head unit displaying "Error 3". When I play store bought Cd's, they play. When I play CD's burnt before the new computer, they play.

My current computer only has one CD drive, so I have to rip the songs off the original CD and send them to the computer's library. Then burn from the library. The older computer had two CD drives and I was able to transfer directly from one CD to the other.

Does anyone have any ideas why the newly burnt CD's won't play? If it is because they are ripped to the library first, then why does that matter? I don't even who to call to ask about this. Eclipse is no longer around to ask. I suppose I could call Alpine or Pioneer and post the question to one of their techs, but I am not sure they would know. I could try to call Microsoft, maybe they would know better, maybe not.

Does anybody have any ideas why this is happening? Any solutions?

I am not sure what software version I am using, I just know I have to rip the songs from the original CD to the computer's library. Then burn them to the cd. I do know I am using Windows 8.

If tye cd is scratched enough the headunit cannot read it.

Not to forget if it does not support data cds then that might be an issue.

If you pop the cd into pc and it considers it as a audio cd then it may just be cd is worn down for the headunit

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

There is two different audio cd types, disc-at-once(DAO) and track-at-once(TAO). I have had some cd-players not read track-at-once discs but will read disc-at-once ones.

But to help you check/change the settings, knowing what it is using to rip and burn would make it much more helpful.

When you put an audio cd in that you get music from, what does the window say that opens?

Also what do you do or what do you click on to put the music back on the cd's?

I like and use iTunes (with an android phone lol), but there are many more. Some I have used in the past is Nero,Windows Media Player, Roxio, plus some other freebees that are not well known.

There is two different audio cd types, disc-at-once(DAO) and track-at-once(TAO). I have had some cd-players not read track-at-once discs but will read disc-at-once ones. But to help you check/change the settings, knowing what it is using to rip and burn would make it much more helpful.

When you put an audio cd in that you get music from, what does the window say that opens?

Also what do you do or what do you click on to put the music back on the cd's?

I like and use iTunes (with an android phone lol), but there are many more. Some I have used in the past is Nero,Windows Media Player, Roxio, plus some other freebees that are not well known.
When I put a music CD in my computer, a little box pops up with the title of the CD showing (and name of the artist). I use Windows Media Player because that is what came installed with the computer. My computer is using Windows 8, if that makes a difference.

The music will be in the computer's library, so I have to drag each song from one side of the screen to the other side and form a list to burn onto the CD.

When you open Windows Media Player and open the burn tab to drag music over. Right below the Sync tab is a drop down menu.

When you click on it is Audio CD checked or Data CD or DVD?

It needs to be Audio CD. If you ever upgrade your head-unit that supports mp3 discs then you can use the Data CD option. (This is also what the other posters mentioned with the format and data cds)

On that same menu, click on more burning options, further down on the menu. This should open the Options window. Burn CD without gaps should be checked, if not put a check in the box next to it.

(Having this checked makes it burn the CD as a disc-at-once).

Last edited by a moderator:
When you open Windows Media Player and open the burn tab to drag music over. Right below the Sync tab is a drop down menu. When you click on it is Audio CD checked or Data CD or DVD?

It needs to be Audio CD. If you ever upgrade your head-unit that supports mp3 discs then you can use the Data CD option. (This is also what the other posters mentioned with the format and data cds)

On that same menu, click on more burning options, further down on the menu. This should open the Options window. Burn CD without gaps should be checked, if not put a check in the box next to it.

(Having this checked makes it burn the CD as a disc-at-once).
Hi, Chris. Thanks for the info. I followed your directions and Audio CD was already checked. Also, "Burn CD without gaps" was also checked.

One thing I forgot to mention, I recently had my computer serviced. It had a virus problem and they cleaned it out for me. I think I will call them, also, to see if they did something that makes my burnt CD's not play on my head unit.

I wouldn't think that having a virus problem would do anything to it. They would have either wiped the whole system and reinstalled or just cleaned up the virus/adware depending on how severe it was.

I was hoping that one of those items was not set right. The only other thing I could suggest would be to try a different brand of CD-R's.

I have seen some differences between brands, but that was well before dvd's came out. CD's have been for the most part standardized in terms of quality these days, but there could still be some differences.

It is possible that the writer is not following the audio cd standard exactly enough that the older head-unit requires, especially if it is a no-brand CD drive, to follow the audio standard the manufacture of the drive would have to pay licensing fees and no-brand manufactures just see that as an expense.

If changing CD-R bands does not work then I would say to either replace the CD writer or the head-unit.

More information on the audio cd format can be found here: Compact Disc Digital Audio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is kinda technical but lots of good info.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.