Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
Sarasota, FL
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I read that there is a greater chance of getting air bubbles to the pump if the radiator is installed tubes up or if the pump is higher than the tubes at the radiator so i installed my tubes in the down orientation so any air in the radiator would be at the top away from the tubes.
Yes, I could see that. The air would float at the top of the lines or at the top of the radiator. I haven't had that issue at all, my AIO cools very very well. I'm really impressed with it, being it was like $150. I really wanna just build a loop for everything. I have a nice open spot for a water reservoir. I know if I did that, I could run my fans silent. Man, if you have a thick radiator, a couple or 3 fans at like 600 RPM will cool so well with a GPU or CPU vs a bunch of high revving fans. Water stuff is the only way to go.

My water pump usually at the highest is at 1200 RPM out of about 3600 RPM, while gaming. That's about 60 degrees C max, consistently (more like 57-58). It does the opposite of heat soak. I run the 4 fans on that CPU rad at like 950 RPM front and 750 back daily and like 1250 rpm front and 1000 back while gaming. The key is to have your fans just constantly pulling heat out of the radiator, so that way it literally never gets hot. The fluid is always the same temp so the AIO pump just has to spin up just 10% or so above minimum idle, about 850 RPM to about 1200. So playing my simulation game, my CPU will sit pretty steady from 56-58C, depends on room temp. I have my AIO curve set to spike up pretty hard after 65 C. Idk, I have so many fans lol, nothing gets hot unless I literally start turning fans off

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Then again, I'm not really doing a game that is snappy and require a lot of quick processing. This simulation game builds a load over a very long time, because the city just gets bigger and bigger, so I'm keeping FPS up as the city does, and keeping my temps where I like them. Anyways, this is what you do when your body is broken lol.

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
Sarasota, FL
So here's where I've gotten so far with my Cities overclocking. I think this is actually Wattman, somebody please correct me if I'm wrong. But this is the overclocking software and GPU controls and settings in Radeon's own software and drivers.

I really started getting over 50C on my GPU when I passed 900-950 mv or so. I'm way higher up than I thought I would be. This is just so far. Max temps I've seen so far is 54C, and that's absolutely child's play for this GPU. Usually it floats around 49-51 C at this voltage, just depends on how I'm using the game at the moment.

Max GPU voltage (at least that Radeon lets you do) is 1.2v or 1200mv. I'm a 1.025v or 1025mv. I started at 0.75v or 750mv, that's the lowest minimum voltage setting.

Increasing voltage is about where 95% of the heat seems to come from. Clock speed barely increases heat, it's almost all dependent on voltage. Anyways, I'm so glad I have 10 case fans, the GPU fans start buzzing at around 1400 RPM, so that's as high as I like to run them. The case fans really keep everything super cool. It's giving me a raging clue.

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
Sarasota, FL
I'll say too:

When I hit a minimum voltage of around 1v or 1000mv, with my game, it really started to feel faster input-wise. This game really bums me out with the way it lowers FPS, and the FPS is based off altitude in the game. So it'll drop super low into the mid 40's, because the game is literally intermittently force-stopping the GPU clock periodically, for some reason. My GPU temps drop super low, that's how I know it's the game limiting my GPU. If I unlock all the trophies for this game, I'm going to deal with this BS artificial limit. They should let people set that effect themselves; my PC is too fast to need a FPS buffering when more stuff loads in. It's completely unnecessary and that FPS change is the only reason the game ever stutters. Nothing I can do without modifying the game files, I'm sure. I'm am totally not against doing that, but only after I get my trophies.

2RZ-FE

Senior VIP Member
10+ year member
Mar 14, 2011
Dixon, Ca
I want to add two more fans on the inner side of the radiator for a total of 6. I have all three of my motherboard fan channels used up one of them channel 3 has a Y splitter powering both my radiator fans. Is it OK to use a Y splitter on all three fan channels to control the 6 fans? Can I use the CPU/Optional to control a fan?

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
Sarasota, FL
I want to add two more fans on the inner side of the radiator for a total of 6. I have all three of my motherboard fan channels used up one of them channel 3 has a Y splitter powering both my radiator fans. Is it OK to use a Y splitter on all three fan channels to control the 6 fans? Can I use the CPU/Optional to control a fan?
Everything will be fine as long as you don't exceed the rated amperage of any plug. If you run a ton of fans, I recommend you split the wires up immediately after the board pins, so that the wires don't get overloaded with current as much, if you're running a ton of fans.

I have so many fan headers.
headers at 1 amp: 2 CPU headers, I have 3 chassis headers. 5x 1 amp headers.
headers at 3 amps: AIO pump plug, water pump, and a dedicated high amp plug. I'm pretty sure the water pump is 3 amps. If it's not 3, then it's 5. But I have a least 3x 3 amp headers.

So, 5x 1 amp and 3x 3 amp headers.

And I have 16 USB ports, for some reason.

Slo_Ride

Regulator
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Oct 15, 2005
ATLANTA
Gonna be able to watch nonstop tranny pron on that thing bro. Don't hurt yourself. 🥴

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Gonna be able to watch nonstop tranny pron on that thing bro. Don't hurt yourself. 🥴
What the f*ck are you talking about? Who told you that you could get up from the kid's table? Go sit back down and let the adults live their lives and you can go live yours like a child.

Slo_Ride

Regulator
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Oct 15, 2005
ATLANTA
What the f*ck are you talking about? Who told you that you could get up from the kid's table? Go sit back down and let the adults live their lives and you can go live yours like a child.
K

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
Sarasota, FL
I'm almost all the way up to the highest voltage they let you run at 1.2v. I'm at 1.13 v @ 1935 mhz so far and max temp is still about 55C. My case cools like a beast man, I'm really surprised. People must have crap airflow in their cases. I'm telling you, 10 140mm case fans in a big case and m2 slotted pcie 4.0 ssd's are the way to go. Keep in mind that my GPU is 100% air cooled and my GPU fans are at about 1300-1400 RPM flat from 25C to 65 C. They are small fans that rev all the way up to 3000-3200 RPM, they start getting really loud around like 1400-1700 RPM, depends. Looks like I can full overclock with my PC in a hot Florida room where it's near 80F, and I haven't even hit 60 degrees C yet. Now, I do not have anisotropic filtering on, mainly because of my own eyes, it gives me eye pain with crazy lighting. I have 2x anti-aliasing on, I can go all the way up to 8x via Radeon, I'm overriding the game's graphic settings via my GPU settings. I actually don't like too high of anti-aliasing on this Cities game, because there's so many small vehicles and buildings and stuff, and the sharp edges actually make it easier to see. The map is HUGE for this game and you can zoom way in and out, so definitive lines is a must for me, since my health leaves me with massive visual snow and visual tearing. I do have Radeon's sharpness set to 100%, which really makes a huge different in texture and line clarity/separation.

So that's where I'm at so far. I read a decent bit about others who have OC'd their 5700's and 5700 XT's, and many, many of them have heat problems, they have to undervolt. GPU's need massive amounts of fresh air, regardless of the fan speed on the GPU.

My GPU running hot will make my secondary m2 slotted ssd heat up, because it's under the board surface, right next to the GPU pcie slot. Like, do people monitor the heat of their hard drives and motherboard components? The absolute highest temp I've seen out of my motherboard is 35 degrees C. My hottest m2 ssd has read about 48C, and they operate up to 70C.

The GPU, BY FAR, creates the most heat and will absolutely heat the motherboard and everything around that part of the MB, it'll heat everything up.

My suggestion if you have a hot GPU:

#1: Get m2 slotted SSD's, they use very little power and are very small, they are installed into the MB, so there's no hard drives blocking air flow inside of your case.

#2: Case fans, case fans, and more case fans. There's shouldn't be a fan mounting location that doesn't have a fan on it. The rear-top fan slot, usually right above the GPU, put a good fan there and run it as high as you can stand, because that one fan pulls air out through the back, which forces air to travel THROUGH the GPU, on it's way out of the back. The faster that exhaust fan spins, the more heat is being pulled out, and you don't have to rev your GPU fans up as much. Spinning your exhaust fans faster helps put less strain on your intake fans to achieve the same RPM.

#3: Mount your CPU radiator down low. CPU rads typically don't give off much heat, not much at all. If you have your CPU radiator up top, and it's getting hit with your GPU hot air, your whole computer is going to run hotter.

#4: Get the absolute biggest case you can and run positive pressure, aka more cubic feet of air being pumped into the case than being pumped out. A big case means more air inside for heat to dissipate. Positive pressure inside of the case results in some degree of higher air destiny, which means the cool air going into your GPU and into your case as a whole will be more dense. The more dense the air, the more heat will be transferred to the air, over time. I don't see why people think they can run a 200-300w GPU in a small case with very little case fans and expect it not to roast under a high load.

All of these small things add up to a huge performance increase.

I'll show my PC setup again, so it can be understood why my GPU seems to cool fairly well, even with my room being fairly warm and OC'ing pretty high up:

Here's where I'm currently overclocked to and stable to. I may mess with the memory clock, I was reading running higher GPU voltage gives the memory more voltage, in my case. So, maybe I can run faster memory now that I'm running such a high voltage. I'll figure that out once I full OC the GPU processor. Once again, this is a Radeon XR 5700 XT GPU model called the Sapphire Nitro+:

Last edited:

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Got my GPU literally maxed out....most is like 50% utilization peak. I've hit a CPU bottleneck, but it's not because it's slow, it's just the way the game does on every computer. It is a simulation game after all, they don't want to overload your CPU non-stop. I mean the game runs very well overall, so not a problem.

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Literally got my GPU processing clock maxed out, haven't tried OC'ing the memory speed since I got to such a super high voltage. But, the hottest I've gotten is about 60C. The average GPU utilliation is maybe 30% average, peaking at 50% or so during certain accelerations of movement. The CPU bottleneck where Cities maxes out 2 out of 8 cores and won't open up more cores to speed the game up, that's my GPU limit as well. OC'ing my GPU definitely raised frame rates at least 5-10 FPS overall, in most situations, which is HUGE for a simulator game. We'll see how bad my FPS is once the city has a few hundred thousand people in it.

Anyways, this is what my current GPU OC'ing looks like. Minimum/maximum MHz and voltage is: 2050 MHz @ 1180 mv to 2150 MHz @ 1200 mv.

I did notice that if you run too low of a voltage for a given clock speed, then the memory speed will show the low voltage. So it seems to me that when your memory speed drops below it's rating, in this case 1742 MHz, then that is indicative of not enough voltage for the processor clock speed you're trying to hit. You know you have enough voltage when the memory speed is slightly trying to naturally go higher than it's set speed, 1742. When I see the memory try to run itself at 1744 MHz occasionally, I know that my voltage is set high enough to support the memory and processor speeds. I'm terrified of overclocking my memory, to some degree. Memory OC'ing is the only time I get crashes. I know when there's memory issues, because typically what happens is your screen will occasionally flash black. If that is happening, you absolutely need to turn your memory clock down. Overclocking memory is seemingly a much more delicate process than OC'ing the GPU processing speed. So, let's see how far I can push it! Hahaha I can't afford a new GPU right now, God help me this is too much fun.

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
Sarasota, FL
A lot of people don't like Radeon cards, and I completely understand why, when comparing to Nvidia. With that said, I'm actually very happy with my 5700XT's performance. I feel like it should be capable of OC'ing a higher frequency, but it puts in work on this simulator game and just keeps on going. I'm happy with it, for my first GPU ever, for sure.

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Like I would probably be happy upgrading to a Radeon 6000 series, but would probably get Nvidia, if I could. I know if I ever get a better GPU, I'm gonna aim for a water cooled one, so I can try to make it super quiet. Anyways, back to it.

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
Sarasota, FL
I've been playing Fallout 4 some, running pretty high graphics, super far fade distances (loading parts of the game visually from very far away). Running 8x AA, I don't like anisotropic filtering for eye pain reasons, so that's off. Running 1440p.

I messed up my settings and made GPU run full bore one time, got the junction up to 90C!!! It ran really good though, it wasn't over-stressing the GPU, just heating up a ton, I wasn't getting an graphical signs of GPU stress. I'd definitely have to water cool to run graphics that high, I'm not listening to 2500 RPM fans for hours on end. I'm not trying to run any electronics over 80C personally, for any extended amount of time. Was running 144 FPS with super high graphics, Radeon Image Sharpening at 80%, which makes a HUGE difference as to things like texture clarity and edge definition. Radeon may not be as good as Nvidia in the graphics department, but they sure seem to be trying hard to give people a lot of good stuff and options to make their game run however they need it to.

You don't need that much FPS for Fallout, unless you're in a loading screen. I modded the game where my GPU does about 350 FPS, because the GPU is what is loading game when you're at the screen, and Fallout caps that at a low framerate. I modded that so loading is almost instant. I use FPS power saver that drops my FPS to 60 when I'm just standing at I max out at 72 with the way my V-sync is setup. Game runs very well, besides normal modding obstacles. I could run higher FPS, but Fallout just isn't that type of game, I'd rather crank up the visuals, yo.

My whole point of this post is that running my GPU on these higher settings, I peak at about 70C junction temps usually when my room is Florida warm. With Cities, I maxed out at like about 60C. Fallout max and consistent temp are about 10C hotter across the board, many times I'm using somewhere between 120-145w of GPU power.

Degrees: 60C is 140F. 70C is 158F. So Fallout makes my GPU run about 20 degrees hotter on average than Cities. Playing Fallout literally makes my room warm lol. My 4 exhaust fans, the 2 on the back above the GPU, put your hands over that while I'm playing fallout, that's some warm air. I start getting sweaty because my PC is in a corner and that hot GPU air gets stuck and legit makes my whole room hotter.

If my heater ever goes out, I'm just gonna overclock the hell out of my GPU to heat my room LOL

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)

Latest posts

Newest threads

Most posts - Past 30 days

Latest classifieds