Computer building, I am

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
FL
Has anyone else built or is building a computer?

My ability to not be able to work on cars or really even have a reason to drive anywhere has lead me here. I don't leave home much so I decided to build a computer.

I'm building it to run games at 1080 or 1440p with a high frame rate, 60 hz or better. Really aiming for 1440p, eventually. I don't think I have anything that will display past 1080p.

I put some good money into this. About the same amount of money I put into my electrical system in my explorer LOL. It's all perspective.

Anyways, like 2/3rds of my stuff is in the mail. I do have my motherboard, case and CPU. I am doing AIO water cooler for my CPU.

Put down your Playstation, put down your Xbox, quit being a puss, and build a computer. If you can install audio, you can probably build a computer. Computers are all 12v, and a lot of the voltages you have going across your board are tiny. Such as max CPU voltages of around 1.35-1.45 volts. I bought a really-ridiculously-over-the-top-never-gonna-use-all-features motherboard, specifically to mess with overclocking. Be warned, bc of the Rona, all prices and availability are really whacky. So much price gouging going on, I'm talking +100% price gouging. So if you ever do build one, watch your ass.

Here's my list of stuff I've ordered. Don't ask me the total price, I won't tell you.

Case: Corsair 750d High Air Flow Version
Motherboard: Asus Crosshair 8 Hero Wifi
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3800xt (8 core, 16 thread, 3.9-4.7 ghz)-> Ps5 max ghz is 3.5 iirc and xbox one is 3.8. That's max. And they aren't water cooled or have 8 140 mm case fans.
GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 5700 XT (most expensive part I bought)-> supposedly can run 4k @ 120 hz. I'll believe that when it happens.
Storage: Corsair MP600 NVME SSD 1TB -> this thing reads and writes data super fast. It about the size of a memory stick. Putting my OS on it. I gotta get a secondary ssd for data.
Memory: G. Skills Ripjaw 2x8 @ 3600 mhz -> might have to lower the 3600 to around 2800 initially. 3000 mhz plus is considered overclocking for my CPU.
PSU: Seasonic SSR-850FX Focus (850w)
CPU cooler: Fractal Designs Celsius+ S28 Dynamic-> works like a car radiator. Water pump, 2 140 mm fans and a radiator.
Exhaust fans: 4x Corsair A1425L 12S-2-> 140 mm fans, ~1000 rpm, ~65 CFM
Intake fans: 2x Fractal Dynamics Venturi HF-14-> ~1200 rpm, ~ 120 CFM. The AIO fans will also be intake fans.
I have this old Lite-on CD/DVD player/writer I pulled out of an old computer. Hope it works, guess we'll find out.

That's pretty much everything except some random stuff like a GPU brace to keep from damaging the board and some connectors. Some these GPU's are so big, they should come included with a brace. I mean my card is over double the size of the slot it plugs into, and it's just supposed to hang from it?

2 games I'm wanting to play on my PC is heavily modded Fallout 4 and Cities Skylines. I'm really good at Cities Skylines. It's like my crack. My ps4 pro just can't handle how big the maps are and all the moving parts. Both gpu and cpu get a little overloaded. Cities slows down to much to even really play. I have to game because I can't do much else. I'm not gonna list everything wrong with me, it would be longer than this post. Can't work and in a lot of pain so gaming gets me by day by day, waiting for answer in the future hopefully.

I would like to say thank you to Trump and congress and the federal gov for my stimulus check, couldn't do it without you :LOL:

Attachments

Slo_Ride

Regulator
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Oct 15, 2005
ATLANTA
Wow you're poor bro.

Slo_Ride

Regulator
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Oct 15, 2005
ATLANTA
...Thanks? Not sure what you mean lol
You thanked trump and said it wouldn't be possible with out that little check they sent out

Slo_Ride

Regulator
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Oct 15, 2005
ATLANTA

Slo_Ride

Regulator
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Oct 15, 2005
ATLANTA

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
FL
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't like sending people money but I will subscribe to your Only Fans
Yeah i'll sell you pics of my pes cavus feet. I need to buy another NVME ssd

Coolhand20th

CarAudio.com Elite
Mar 27, 2019
Wisconsin
Should buy a PS5 :D I have one,lol. Awesome graphics and a nice increase even over the PS4 or PS4 Pro. Got it as a Birthday Present & Christmas Present from the parental units :D. Every year one of us gets a big Christmas and with mine around turkey day every year they allow me to combine them when it is my turn so this year...A PS5 :D

Btw I am only 44, turned 44 a couple days ago.

Reactions: Slo_Ride

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
FL
Should buy a PS5 :D I have one,lol. Awesome graphics and a nice increase even over the PS4 or PS4 Pro. Got it as a Birthday Present & Christmas Present from the parental units :D. Every year one of us gets a big Christmas and with mine around turkey day every year they allow me to combine them when it is my turn so this year...A PS5 :D

Btw I am only 44, turned 44 a couple days ago.
Nah man I gotta go hard. I also may dabble in some 3d design stuff. I have a story to tell, but I gotta have some serious imaging to be able to tell it correctly. Seeing is believing. Can't do that on a ps5. But I'm sure it's way faster than a ps4 pro even. I know it can peak at 3.5 ghz, but I doubt it's sustaining that for long.

It takes a lot of speed to satisfy me :unsure:

Reactions: Coolhand20th

Coolhand20th

CarAudio.com Elite
Mar 27, 2019
Wisconsin
I would have gone with Intel then and an Nvidia Card but that is me. But I know AMD has its fan just like I prefer Intel after having nothing but issues with AMD stuff in the past until a couple years ago. I have certificates from Microsoft as well as some of mine and my dad's coding has been in Windows since 2000 as he was not only a Foreman Machinist for Mobil Oil in Elwood but also their computer security chief till he retired in 2000. So he taught me in 1986 back when we had to solder in everything vs now where it is all socket and plug & play for the most part.

A good program for people who don't know how to build a computer which is shocking is on Steam there is a game called PC Building Simulator or something. Had a couple people buy it and they used what they learned there to build a computer instead of paying ridiculous prices on a store bought one.

I plan on building a new tower in the New Year sometime already have the PSU and Case. Being Disabled for Life I have to save up and buy in pieces but going to wait till Spring to see what else comes out.

I will say though AMD has really stepped up there game CPU wise and is either damn close in some areas or equal and in a couple other areas beats Intel. GPU Wise....idk about that yet. Nvidia still takes the crown there at least for now but that is just imho, not like that means anything in the computer world,lol. Everyone has favorites and reasons why...just like in Car Audio,lol.

mastershake575

CarAudio.com Veteran
Mar 11, 2015
Dallas
Been building since 2004. Congrats on the setup.

The initial cost is high but some components like powersupply, cpu cooler, fans, SSDs, ram can last you over a decade so when you factor that in the total price isn't as bad as you'd think

Reactions: huberoy123 and Buck

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
FL
I would have gone with Intel then and an Nvidia Card but that is me. But I know AMD has its fan just like I prefer Intel after having nothing but issues with AMD stuff in the past until a couple years ago. I have certificates from Microsoft as well as some of mine and my dad's coding has been in Windows since 2000 as he was not only a Foreman Machinist for Mobil Oil in Elwood but also their computer security chief till he retired in 2000. So he taught me in 1986 back when we had to solder in everything vs now where it is all socket and plug & play for the most part.

A good program for people who don't know how to build a computer which is shocking is on Steam there is a game called PC Building Simulator or something. Had a couple people buy it and they used what they learned there to build a computer instead of paying ridiculous prices on a store bought one.

I plan on building a new tower in the New Year sometime already have the PSU and Case. Being Disabled for Life I have to save up and buy in pieces but going to wait till Spring to see what else comes out.

I will say though AMD has really stepped up there game CPU wise and is either damn close in some areas or equal and in a couple other areas beats Intel. GPU Wise....idk about that yet. Nvidia still takes the crown there at least for now but that is just imho, not like that means anything in the computer world,lol. Everyone has favorites and reasons why...just like in Car Audio,lol.
i definitely get that.

well intel still has a large lithography at like 22nm iirc, even the i9-10900k. amd has that 7 nm lithography. it really seems to be more efficient. i think that's why the i9 wattage is higher than an equivalent amd. the i9 is one hell of a processor though, so are some of the i7's. but intel doesn't even offer a pcie 4.0 on any of their motherboards yet. i think intel may have been the big dog for so long that they haven't innovated enough.

see i have a new type of ssd hardrive. it plugs into the pcie 4.0 port. it will read and write at over 4000 mb/s. its rated to read at i think 4800-4900 mb/s while it can be written at 4200 mb/s. they are tiny cards, like the size of memory cards, and they actually stick under some of the heatsinks in my motherboard (i have 2x m2 slots, one is directly connected to cpu in the same way a memory card is). so when you talk about the OS and program files for applications, that's going to be significantly faster than a 2.5" ssd with a sata cable.

there's features like that that made me go with amd over intel. i mean i have last year's processor, so to speak. so i have room to upgrade. idk if you've seen the ryzen 5000 series release, but you can't find one of those unless you give up an arm and a leg. i would've gotten a 5800x if they were available for the actual price they're supposed to be. i'm not paying ******* 100 or 200 over. i'll wait and just sell my 3800xt in 6 months or a year and wait for the price to go down.

Coolhand20th

CarAudio.com Elite
Mar 27, 2019
Wisconsin
Fans don't last as long as they used to anymore. Even if you buy the more expensive ones so I have just gone to buying w/e color LED fans I like atm. Right now the tower is all lit up in Purple. Next one will be probably Purple as well as it seems to look good in that case.

Right now I have around 8 or 10TB of storage iirc. Along with running 2 M2 SSD's as well. Next one will have 3 as I also run Dual Boot OS as well as I despise Windows 10 but some games will only run on it now...bastards! lol

I also run enclosed Liquid Cooling as well from Corsair or w/e else is out at that time that is getting good legit reviews from Toms Hardware or from friends.

Reactions: Buck

Coolhand20th

CarAudio.com Elite
Mar 27, 2019
Wisconsin
The 11the Gen CPU's coming will have 4.0 next year. Idk why they dropped it from the Z490 series was a big mistake but at the same time 4.0 M2s didn't come out till sometime in the summer iirc. Also the PS5 has a extra M2 slot as well since the Hard Drive is soldered into their main board for some stupid @!#$#%@!%!$ reason. They are waiting to release if it will be 3.0 or 4.0 so I will have to buy one for that as well.

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
FL
Fans don't last as long as they used to anymore. Even if you buy the more expensive ones so I have just gone to buying w/e color LED fans I like atm. Right now the tower is all lit up in Purple. Next one will be probably Purple as well as it seems to look good in that case.

Right now I have around 8 or 10TB of storage iirc. Along with running 2 M2 SSD's as well. Next one will have 3 as I also run Dual Boot OS as well as I despise Windows 10 but some games will only run on it now...bastards! lol

I also run enclosed Liquid Cooling as well from Corsair or w/e else is out at that time that is getting good legit reviews from Toms Hardware or from friends.
bill gates named his company after his penis

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)

Latest posts

Newest threads

Most posts - Past 30 days