Checked gain with an O-scope, sub is still smelling

Marve_Lous

CarAudio.com Well Known
Aug 4, 2019
Houston, TX
I've read alot of people that say the same things too, I'm not worried about what size for the type of music I listen too. For whatever reason I automatically wanted two subs in my SUV for .. I don't know why, something about opening your trunk and seeing two 12s in a nice box. So since you say all sizes have no affect, what would you personally recommend. A 15" or two sundown E-12s . I know saying a 15 really dosnt mean shit, because the size of the sub dosnt matter its the sub itself
I’m running an ICON 15 in a ported box designed by @Buck and it POUNDS! I’m positive it would sound even more amazing in an SUV.

devin171moto

CarAudio.com Regular
Feb 29, 2020
Gilbert, AZ
I've read alot of people that say the same things too, I'm not worried about what size for the type of music I listen too. For whatever reason I automatically wanted two subs in my SUV for .. I don't know why, something about opening your trunk and seeing two 12s in a nice box. So since you say all sizes have no affect, what would you personally recommend. A 15" or two sundown E-12s . I know saying a 15 really dosnt mean shit, because the size of the sub dosnt matter its the sub itself
in my opinion it depends on the subs in question. at this price point he has the choice of getting 2 relatively low quality subs over one mid range quality sub. remember that a 15 is within 10% the cone area of 2 12s. cone area scales by the square. a 150 dollar sub is made with cheaper components and most likely isn't engineered quite as well. with the 15 he gets more power than both 12's combined with almost identical cone area. plus the benefits of a more quality product. talking strictly loudness there may not be a huge difference but in frequency bandwidth and overall quality of sound in my opinion the nice 15 would win over the 2 12's

e 12's are 160 each.
you can get an icon 15 for 300.
if you just WANT 2 12;s than thats one thing. but. for rap? and rebass? the icon

hispls

CarAudio.com Veteran
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Sep 10, 2009
Central Maine
My amp is 1200w, and both subs are rated at 600w, plus both subs will never hit peak 600w with what I'm putting them through.
If all of this were true you would not be smelling them burning.

Recommended amplifier power is 300W. 600W is """peak""" which means pretty much what you're doing now. They won't instantly self destruct running the pair to a 1200W amp but if you're not being careful you will break them.

g_cirillo

CarAudio.com Newbie
Dec 19, 2020
Arizona
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If all of this were true you would not be smelling them burning.

Recommended amplifier power is 300W. 600W is """peak""" which means pretty much what you're doing now. They won't instantly self destruct running the pair to a 1200W amp but if you're not being careful you will break them.
Yeah im tracking that now. as i said earlier in this thread, im just gonna cook my kickers to the ground and get some actual subs once they do.

g_cirillo

CarAudio.com Newbie
Dec 19, 2020
Arizona
I’m running an ICON 15 in a ported box designed by @Buck and it POUNDS! I’m positive it would sound even more amazing in an SUV.
Hmm, now yall are making me change my mind. Ive seen Bucks boxes around here, would love to get something designed from him. Icon 15... ill check around some more forums and reviews on the thing. My heart was set on sundown, but i might just get a 15.

g_cirillo

CarAudio.com Newbie
Dec 19, 2020
Arizona
in my opinion it depends on the subs in question. at this price point he has the choice of getting 2 relatively low quality subs over one mid range quality sub. remember that a 15 is within 10% the cone area of 2 12s. cone area scales by the square. a 150 dollar sub is made with cheaper components and most likely isn't engineered quite as well. with the 15 he gets more power than both 12's combined with almost identical cone area. plus the benefits of a more quality product. talking strictly loudness there may not be a huge difference but in frequency bandwidth and overall quality of sound in my opinion the nice 15 would win over the 2 12's

e 12's are 160 each.
you can get an icon 15 for 300.
if you just WANT 2 12;s than thats one thing. but. for rap? and rebass? the icon
Now the icon 15 is 1250w, my amp is 800w at a 2 ohm load. between the two e-12s at 1ohm and this being underpowered i might have to stick with my original idea becuase i dont want to underpower the sub, and it wouldnt get near its potential, possibly even sound worse then the two low range subs just becuase of that fact. would you agree?

(i dont wanna upgrade my amp at this time, just upgraded it)

Coolhand20th

CarAudio.com Elite
Mar 27, 2019
Wisconsin
Go with a Gcon then, the rms on those is 950 watts. Gcon's are great subwoofers as well. If you plan on upgrading to a bigger amplifier anytime in the next year then go Icon. You can also upgrade the Gcon's as well with SPL upgrades and what not. I am about to ask SSA what the differences are between the two of a upgraded Gcon and a Icon as I am ordering 2 12" SSA Icons or Gcons in the next couple of months.

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
FL
Hmm, now yall are making me change my mind. Ive seen Bucks boxes around here, would love to get something designed from him. Icon 15... ill check around some more forums and reviews on the thing. My heart was set on sundown, but i might just get a 15.
I'm only biased on subs based off what works well. Sundown is one of the best subwoofer designers in the world, period, IMO. Sundown is so far ahead of many sub manufacturers in the magnet/motor department IMO. I'd say you wouldn't go wrong with either. I would just try to match subs up with your amps properly.

Reactions: devin171moto

g_cirillo

CarAudio.com Newbie
Dec 19, 2020
Arizona
I'm only biased on subs based off what works well. Sundown is one of the best subwoofer designers in the world, period, IMO. Sundown is so far ahead of many sub manufacturers in the magnet/motor department IMO. I'd say you wouldn't go wrong with either. I would just try to match subs up with your amps properly.
Looks like i will be sticking with sundown, even if i can only get their low range subs

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
FL
not sure what you mean by actual power, my amp is rated 1200w RMS at 1 ohm, and 800w at 2
That's what I meant. If you're gonna run 1 ohm, 600 watts per woofer is enough for a decent woofer. I would run a single woofer if you're only going to use 800w.

devin171moto

CarAudio.com Regular
Feb 29, 2020
Gilbert, AZ
not sure what you mean by actual power, my amp is rated 1200w RMS at 1 ohm, and 800w at 2
your og post said 1200w. then i recommended an icon and you said it only does 800. if you can push 1200 at 1 ohm then just know you can wire a dual 2 ohm SSA icon to 1ohm. if you want sundown thats fine. i run sundown too. but with the information you have given the icon is the best bang for your buck here for rap with good lows. you have the power.

devin171moto

CarAudio.com Regular
Feb 29, 2020
Gilbert, AZ
I like them too. got my 2 refurbished sa 12's for 300. but sa's arent worth the money anymore. better options for cheaper or same amount. but the x's are a marvel for hitting lows clean.

g_cirillo

CarAudio.com Newbie
Dec 19, 2020
Arizona
your og post said 1200w. then i recommended an icon and you said it only does 800. if you can push 1200 at 1 ohm then just know you can wire a dual 2 ohm SSA icon to 1ohm. if you want sundown thats fine. i run sundown too. but with the information you have given the icon is the best bang for your buck here for rap with good lows. you have the power.
Oh that's right, I forgot you can wire it that way with dual voice coils. Was thinking again you can only wire down in impedance if you have two subs. Man buying subs without the knowledge really throws your ass into the deep end. Overwhelming to cram all this in

Coolhand20th

CarAudio.com Elite
Mar 27, 2019
Wisconsin
"dual 2 ohm SSA icon"

Actually it would be Dual 4 ohm in order to get a 1 ohm load on the amplifier. If you are going with one subwoofer then yes Dual 2 ohm can be wired to 1 ohm.

Also if his total is 1200 watts at 1 ohm then 2 Icons would be too much since the RMS on those is 1,250 watts each. Now one would be fine or do the Gcon with the upgraded SPL and what not. Still waiting on SSA to get back to me with those answer and once they do I will post them so you can compare.

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
FL
"dual 2 ohm SSA icon"

Actually it would be Dual 4 ohm in order to get a 1 ohm load on the amplifier. If you are going with one subwoofer then yes Dual 2 ohm can be wired to 1 ohm.

Also if his total is 1200 watts at 1 ohm then 2 Icons would be too much since the RMS on those is 1,250 watts each. Now one would be fine or do the Gcon with the upgraded SPL and what not. Still waiting on SSA to get back to me with those answer and once they do I will post them so you can compare.
Yeah he’d be fine running 1200w on an icon imo.

devin171moto

CarAudio.com Regular
Feb 29, 2020
Gilbert, AZ
"dual 2 ohm SSA icon"

You arwnt paying attention to this thread go back and read it then reply again. I said multiple times he is better with 1 15 icon over two sundown e 12's because he gets more power with almost idwntical cone area. Plus he gets a better designed sub that has a low fs and relatively small box requirements for a 15. He will smash 24-55hz easily and it fits perfectly with the amp he already has installed. He would just need a big 3 if he doesnr already have ONE witch is literally 30 bucks in wire and connectors and could probably get away with stock electrical on 1200w. It's be nice if he got an agm but in his price range i would wait

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)

Newest threads

Most posts - Past 30 days

Latest classifieds