Checked gain with an O-scope, sub is still smelling

g_cirillo

CarAudio.com Newbie
Dec 19, 2020
Arizona
This one is frustrating. To start off, my setup is a pioneer 1200w amp with two comp c 12" subs in a ported box. my gain is set at 9.10v and my lpf at 80hz.

I bought an o-scope because tuning gain by ear is next to impossible. Did everything you should, disconnected my subs, played a 40hz tone at 0db, and raised my gain right until there was no clipping on the sine wave.

Was super happy with the results, was now confident that I wasn't clipping my system but getting max performance out of my subs.

Recently changed my lpf from 60hz to 80hz to get better response on metal songs, and thats when it started smelling a little again. Nothing compared to when I used to set my gain by ear and was obviously cooking my voice coils, but its still there. Faintly

Anyone have any ideas on what else may be heating my voice coils? My amp does not have a sub sonic filter, and it is a ported box, can this heat my coils?

g_cirillo

CarAudio.com Newbie
Dec 19, 2020
Arizona
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
high frequencies produce more heat, also you might be clipping higher up. check 80 hz with the oscope and see what you find.
So I found clipping st 50hz, but I didn't know that this mattered, everywhere It seems tuning to a 40hz tone is standard. Why is that? Do I need to tune every frequency that will be used on my amp?

20 hz bass machine

Danger Ranger
Premium Member
Nov 13, 2019
Aurora CO
I usually go into my eq on my radio and tune all the bands separately. For example I have a 16 band eq and have control over 20, 50, and 80 hz (I dont play anything over 80hz, you should adjust tune every frequency you use given you have the ability to do so with your headunits eq). I use a tone generator to produce the different tones I have control over. In my specific example I start with 50 and set the gain like normal then I switch over to the headunits eq to adjust the levels of 20 and 80. I go through all 3 again after making adjustments and make further adjustments as needed with the headunit only. 40 is a general number but in reality the amp will output differently at different frequencies. Did that make sense?

g_cirillo

CarAudio.com Newbie
Dec 19, 2020
Arizona
I usually go into my eq on my radio and tune all the bands separately. For example I have a 16 band eq and have control over 20, 50, and 80 hz (I dont play anything over 80hz, you should adjust tune every frequency you use given you have the ability to do so with your headunits eq). I use a tone generator to produce the different tones I have control over. In my specific example I start with 50 and set the gain like normal then I switch over to the headunits eq to adjust the levels of 20 and 80. I go through all 3 again after making adjustments and make further adjustments as needed with the headunit only. 40 is a general number but in reality the amp will output differently at different frequencies. Did that make sense?
Makes sense, but unfortunately I have a factory deck, only eq controls i have are bass and treble. When my gain is tuned to stop that 50hz clipping, I can barley even hear the subs

20 hz bass machine

Danger Ranger
Premium Member
Nov 13, 2019
Aurora CO
I highly recommend you get an aftermarket headunit for optimal performance. You also might want to use your oscope to check that your signal coming from the headunit is clean

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
FL
You should really learn how to tune by ear. Also, with a ported box, the further away from tuning frequency you go, typically the harder it is on your system overall. So you can run into more clipping the further away from box tuning you go, in general.

Reactions: SlugButter

nauc

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Mar 22, 2005
Home
you gotta send the subs the right amount of power, not just an unclipped signal

if those subs can only handle 300 watts per sub, but youre sending them 600 per sub, youre gonna ruin them

set your gain right, see link below. note, the test tones are at the very bottom...

g_cirillo

CarAudio.com Newbie
Dec 19, 2020
Arizona
you gotta send the subs the right amount of power, not just an unclipped signal

if those subs can only handle 300 watts per sub, but youre sending them 600 per sub, youre gonna ruin them

set your gain right, see link below. note, the test tones are at the very bottom...

My amp is 1200w, and both subs are rated at 600w, plus both subs will never hit peak 600w with what I'm putting them through. My gain is set even below what my peak performance is,11v is what I'm peaking around, my gain is set at 9

nauc

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Mar 22, 2005
Home
Kickers site says 300 watts per sub.

you look at RMS ratings, not peak ratings

Reactions: JRsmoothee

devin171moto

CarAudio.com Regular
Feb 29, 2020
Gilbert, AZ
Good info. Guess I'll just cook the shit out of these kickers and get sundowns once they shit out
highly recommend it. Idk if sa's are worth it anymore though at 300. anyone had v2's? also consider one nice 15 on like 1500w. might get better sq that way. that's my opinion though. im still newish

g_cirillo

CarAudio.com Newbie
Dec 19, 2020
Arizona
highly recommend it. Idk if sa's are worth it anymore though at 300. anyone had v2's? also consider one nice 15 on like 1500w. might get better sq that way. that's my opinion though. im still newish
I'm looking at 2 E 12 v3s from them, I wish I could afford two sa right now

Last edited:

devin171moto

CarAudio.com Regular
Feb 29, 2020
Gilbert, AZ
I'm looking at 2 E 12 v3s from them, I wish I could afford two sa right now
what type of music do you play. alot of people would recomend an ssa icon. you can get one 15 for the price of 2 e 12's. virtually the same cone area and a far better woofer. a bit more power.

g_cirillo

CarAudio.com Newbie
Dec 19, 2020
Arizona
what type of music do you play. alot of people would recomend an ssa icon. you can get one 15 for the price of 2 e 12's. virtually the same cone area and a far better woofer. a bit more power.
Never thought of a 15. I usually listen to rap, but when I do wanna listen to metal I want that sub hitting too. Always just thought two smaller subs sounded better and were cooler then one big one

SlugButter

CarAudio.com Veteran
Nov 5, 2019
arizona
Never thought of a 15. I usually listen to rap, but when I do wanna listen to metal I want that sub hitting too. Always just thought two smaller subs sounded better and were cooler then one big one
The type of music shouldn’t matter too much, in terms of subwoofer size, as long as your enclosure is designed well and built solid. I’m a metal listener primarily with some rap mixed in, and I have done 8s 10s 12s and 15s, and the size of the sub didn’t make a difference. I liked the 15s I’ve ran playing metal, and the 8s pounded rap just as good as the 15s. The 8s didn’t sound “tighter” than the 15, no matter how many times people have argued with me about it. Quality subs of any size will reproduce music correctly in the right enclosure.

Reactions: Dafaseles

devin171moto

CarAudio.com Regular
Feb 29, 2020
Gilbert, AZ
The type of music shouldn’t matter too much, in terms of subwoofer size, as long as your enclosure is designed well and built solid. I’m a metal listener primarily with some rap mixed in, and I have done 8s 10s 12s and 15s, and the size of the sub didn’t make a difference. I liked the 15s I’ve ran playing metal, and the 8s pounded rap just as good as the 15s. The 8s didn’t sound “tighter” than the 15, no matter how many times people have argued with me about it. Quality subs of any size will reproduce music correctly in the right enclosure.
yeah I was curious what he like cuz the icon has a low fs and rips through sub 30hz in a ported box tuned low. but if he wants fast response he will need to go sealed but give up a lot of volume. idk if ported is ever gonna sound great on metal and edm i only really play rebass music.

personally I would rather have the 1 15 so i get a more quality product. in this price range I feel like it will contribute to a better sounding system overall. I think its the better bang for your buck.

Coolhand20th

CarAudio.com Elite
Mar 27, 2019
Wisconsin
Metal sounds fine on a ported box when done right. I've run ported and sealed boxes in my life & every time the ported sounded better with one exception. I listen to metal, classic rock and some rap. Never an issue with the 1st two in a ported box. Only one sealed setup sounded good on everything but that was 25 years ago in a S-10 with sealed 10" Truck Boxes that came with the old MTX Blue Thunders. Everything I threw at those for music sounded fine. I tried a sealed box in my Explorer for about a year and it just sounded horrible vs the ported box I run now.

g_cirillo

CarAudio.com Newbie
Dec 19, 2020
Arizona
I've read alot of people that say the same things too, I'm not worried about what size for the type of music I listen too. For whatever reason I automatically wanted two subs in my SUV for .. I don't know why, something about opening your trunk and seeing two 12s in a nice box. So since you say all sizes have no affect, what would you personally recommend. A 15" or two sundown E-12s . I know saying a 15 really dosnt mean shit, because the size of the sub dosnt matter its the sub itself

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)

Newest threads

Most posts - Past 30 days

Latest classifieds